The Student Room Group

Becoming a chemistry teacher without a chemistry degree??

So I want to become a high school chemistry teacher but the problem is that I don’t want to do a chemistry degree. I considered doing at first but the problem is that I’ve never liked practicals too much and I’m not very good with visualising things that I can’t see. Also I’ve heard from a lot of people that a chemistry degree is hard and requires a lot of maths and I don’t do a level maths. A couple of years ago I asked my maths teacher what degree she had done and she said Earth science. So I was wondering if I could do this but for chemistry instead. Does anyone know any degrees that would allow me to this
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
The usual requirement to teach a subject is your degree has at least 50% of that subject so biochemistry, pharmacy, biomedical science come to mind. But all these degrees would require chemistry A level.

You can try private schools or free schools since they can specify what their teachers' requirement are and they don't need a PGCE or its equivalent.

All chemistry teachers need to be able to teach practicals.
(edited 6 years ago)
^^I agree
Reply 3
Original post by Maker
The usual requirement to teach a subject is your degree has at least 50% of that subject so biochemistry, pharmacy, biomedical science come to mind. But all these degrees would require chemistry A level.

You can try private schools or free schools since they can specify what their teachers' requirement are and they don't need a PGCE or its equivalent.

All chemistry teachers need to be able to teach practicals.

I do chemistry, Biology and politics at A level it’s not that I can’t do practicles it’s that I don’t want to spend three years doing varied practicles that don’t interest me plus I feel like it would be a really difficult degree to do. That iswhy I was asking to see if anyone had any suggestions to other routes I could take instead of a chemistry degree alone. Thanks for your reply anyways
Original post by sumaya7363
So I want to become a high school chemistry teacher but the problem is that I don’t want to do a chemistry degree. I considered doing at first but the problem is that I’ve never liked practicals too much and I’m not very good with visualising things that I can’t see. Also I’ve heard from a lot of people that a chemistry degree is hard and requires a lot of maths and I don’t do a level maths. A couple of years ago I asked my maths teacher what degree she had done and she said Earth science. So I was wondering if I could do this but for chemistry instead. Does anyone know any degrees that would allow me to this

Why do you want to be a high school chemistry teacher if you don't want to do a degree in it? that's the question I have because from my experience, my teachers are the best if they have done their chosen subject to at least the undergraduate level. My chemistry teachers all have masters and PHDs in chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
You also don't need to have qualified teacher status to teach in academies.
Reply 6
Original post by wolfmoon88
Why do you want to be a high school chemistry teacher if you don't want to do a degree in it? that's the question I have because from my experience, my teachers are the best if they have done their chosen subject to at least the undergraduate level. My chemistry teachers all have masters and PHDs in chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the school curriculum itself isn’t that difficult and because with my skill set and determination to help others understand I would be best suited for a teaching role. With the a levels I’ve chosen and the interest I have in it Chemistry is the best subject for me to teach. However many say chemistry can get a bit dry at degree level and really hard so I was asking to see if there are any other available routes which I can take rather than limiting myself to one thing. And yes I do agree that some of the best teachers do have PhDs in the subject their teaching but I’m just trying to keep my options open that’s all
Reply 7
Original post by Maker
You also don't need to have qualified teacher status to teach in academies.

But I want to know what degrees I can take and still become a chemistry teacher in the UK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending