The Student Room Group

Level 3 Diploma or A Level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yt7777
Your problem is not taking the BTEC (that will help you) bit more importantly you need to be taking maths to go to a top uni for computer science

The BTEC is really good in my opinion, I did the one that was worth 3 A levels and didn't take an extra A level and I now have my Computer Science degree from a top 30 uni and am currently studying my Masters at a top 10 uni.

Also Oxford and most Russell groups accept the BTEC for computer science as long as its combined with Maths A level

If I were you, I wouldn't take French or History as they would be pointless for a Comp Sci degree, I would take the Com Sci BTEC (2 A levels) and then Maths + Physics as a 4th if you can handle it

Hope this helps :smile:

I'm not going to say the phrases bolded are false or misleading but what I will say in my opinion, I very adamantly disagree.

Say you studied Maths alongside a facilitating A-Level in French or History and another science or computing, I believe your chances would be higher than taking a BTEC CompSci. Ik this sounds really impractical and silly but unfortunately that is the way admissions function for Russell Group they are both conservative and subconsciously repel innovative academic schemes.

It seems as if the proposer of this information has found success in this route and you know what I think that is highly commendable and employers will appreciate it without any form of disregard when reviewing qualifications.
Though I do not think it's possible to reciprocate this achievement of acceptance for a wider number of applicants.

I understand theoretically advanced levels of BTEC studies are equated to 2 and even 3 A Levels however this approach hasn't really been welcomed by elite unis when we analyse the statistics of the qualifications of successful applicants. It is an utter shame and demotivating for students and wholeheartedly hope to see a reformation in the way this system operates, this is just one factor, it's recently been notices Oxbridge undermine Black Ethnic Minority students and the President of the Black Student's Asoc himself called Oxford 'Institutionally Racist' ;(
Reply 21
Original post by New_to_tsr
I'm not going to say the phrases bolded are false or misleading but what I will say in my opinion, I very adamantly disagree.

Say you studied Maths alongside a facilitating A-Level in French or History and another science or computing, I believe your chances would be higher than taking a BTEC CompSci. Ik this sounds really impractical and silly but unfortunately that is the way admissions function for Russell Group they are both conservative and subconsciously repel innovative academic schemes.

It seems as if the proposer of this information has found success in this route and you know what I think that is highly commendable and employers will appreciate it without any form of disregard when reviewing qualifications.
Though I do not think it's possible to reciprocate this achievement of acceptance for a wider number of applicants.

I understand theoretically advanced levels of BTEC studies are equated to 2 and even 3 A Levels however this approach hasn't really been welcomed by elite unis when we analyse the statistics of the qualifications of successful applicants. It is an utter shame and demotivating for students and wholeheartedly hope to see a reformation in the way this system operates, this is just one factor, it's recently been notices Oxbridge undermine Black Ethnic Minority students and the President of the Black Student's Asoc himself called Oxford 'Institutionally Racist' ;(

Thank you, I’ve kind of realised most of what you’ve said from the rest of this thread.
Is it bad that I want to apply to Cambridge for one degree and others for completely different degrees? This is because Cambridge doesn’t offer as many...
Original post by ExamJon54
Thank you, I’ve kind of realised most of what you’ve said from the rest of this thread.
Is it bad that I want to apply to Cambridge for one degree and others for completely different degrees? This is because Cambridge doesn’t offer as many...

It depends on your personal statement, the hardest challenge you have is to tailor you statement microscopically for the Cambridge course whilst simultaneously making it suitable for other courses. See the difficulty?

I don't know if there is a way you can dispatch a separate statement for Cambridge and another targeting the other course. This way, it would be save a whole load of hassle and complications.

If this isn't possible I'd advise you to set your heart on a single course, and possibly dual degrees providing all your options have relatable subjects that can be interweaved into a single sheet! All the best :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by New_to_tsr
It depends on your personal statement, the hardest challenge you have is to tailor you statement microscopically for the Cambridge course whilst simultaneously making it suitable for other courses. See the difficulty?

I don't know if there is a way you can dispatch a separate statement for Cambridge and another targeting the other course. This way, it would be save a whole load of hassle and complications.

If this isn't possible I'd advise you to set your heart on a single course, and possibly dual degrees providing all your options have relatable subjects that can be interweaved into a single sheet! All the best :smile:

I either want to do Computer Science and French Studies (Not a valuable at Cambridge, only CS and it requires A Level Maths).
Or History and French Studies which I can do at Cambridge.

Also, thanks for the advice- still a way off but got to start thinking :smile:
Original post by ExamJon54
I either want to do Computer Science and French Studies (Not a valuable at Cambridge, only CS and it requires A Level Maths).
Or History and French Studies which I can do at Cambridge.

Also, thanks for the advice- still a way off but got to start thinking :smile:

I'd say whatever you decide to take at degree level, for A-Levels choose Maths & French as they will accommodate both your future interests and grant you a better idea as to which route you feel is right for you. Additionally for your third choice I'd advise you take A-Level CS itself which will give you a hands-on experience and sample of the course, these three A-Level will form a formidable application for both routes as they encompass two facilitating subjects (Oxbridge preferred) and a technology which can open doors to other fields like engineering when accompanied with Maths! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest