The Student Room Group

Should a mature student applying to uni explain the gaps in education ?

I’m studying access to engineering and there are a few gaps between my qualifications. I plan on studying physics, I don’t know if I should explain the gaps in my personal statement.
Original post by Onlyasking
I’m studying access to engineering and there are a few gaps between my qualifications. I plan on studying physics, I don’t know if I should explain the gaps in my personal statement.

How old and what sort of gaps are we talking about? they are principally interested in your motivation to return to study. They will expect gaps in study, but it helps if you use it as part of the overall narrative as to why they should pick you. You dont need t make excuses.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
How old and what sort of gaps are we talking about? they are principally interested in your motivation to return to study. They will expect gaps in study, but it helps if you use it as part of the overall narrative as to why they should pick you. You dont need t make excuses.

I’m 21, I took my GCSE’s privately a year late because of bereavement. I left secondary school in year 10. I took another few years out and at 18 tried AS art, English and psychology but soon realised I preferred my hobbies and studies separate so I decided to work till I figured it out. I’ve always loved maths and my interest in physics was growing so I applied for access to engineering, it was the quickest route to physics. I could mention the gaps but it sounds kinda negative. Would it affect my application if I missed it out ? Thanks for those pointers, I’ll add what motivated me to go back ☺️ great pointer
I’m 21, I took my GCSE’s privately a year late because of bereavement. I left secondary school in year 10. I took another few years out and at 18 tried AS art, English and psychology but soon realised I preferred my hobbies and studies separate so I decided to work till I figured it out. I’ve always loved maths and my interest in physics was growing so I applied for access to engineering, it was the quickest route to physics. I could mention the gaps but it sounds kinda negative. Would it affect my application if I missed it out ? Thanks for those pointers, I’ll add what motivated me to go back ☺️ great pointer

It should be a natural explanation, Normally your referee would comment on the bereavement, but as it will have had a big effect then you can mention it in a few words imo, but how on the back of that you took some time to figure out where your interests lay. You can talk about an event or a particular aspect of physics that mean you are keen to study more and possibly what you would like to do after the course. They just want to find out about you. Just keep it focused on what motivates you to do the course and its a conscious decision because you know what it involves. You shouldnt have much problem getting on as long as you arent a look and your ps is passable.
Reply 4
It should be a natural explanation, Normally your referee would comment on the bereavement, but as it will have had a big effect then you can mention it in a few words imo, but how on the back of that you took some time to figure out where your interests lay. You can talk about an event or a particular aspect of physics that mean you are keen to study more and possibly what you would like to do after the course. They just want to find out about you. Just keep it focused on what motivates you to do the course and its a conscious decision because you know what it involves. You shouldnt have much problem getting on as long as you arent a look and your ps is passable.

Also I wanted to get some sort of funding for the degree, I’ve been put off uni because of the loans. Now that I’m interested I’ve looked into scholarship but they seem to be for more traditional students, mainly A-level students. Is it possible to get some sort of funding ?
Also I wanted to get some sort of funding for the degree, I’ve been put off uni because of the loans. Now that I’m interested I’ve looked into scholarship but they seem to be for more traditional students, mainly A-level students. Is it possible to get some sort of funding ?

Loans is only quasi debt, so dont look at them as similar to a bank loan. Most wont pay them off.

You would have to read the terms of the scholarship to see who they include.
Reply 6
Loans is only quasi debt, so dont look at them as similar to a bank loan. Most wont pay them off.

You would have to read the terms of the scholarship to see who they include.

Thanks, do you know of any other organisations or alternatives that would fund my degree ?
Thanks, do you know of any other organisations or alternatives that would fund my degree ?

Why would you want an an alternative to sfe. Nobody will give you the lenient terms they offer. Are you not an EU national?

Unless you are exceptional then nobody wll be interested.

Future finance is a commercial lender.
Reply 8
Why would you want an an alternative to sfe. Nobody will give you the lenient terms they offer. Are you not an EU national?

Unless you are exceptional then nobody wll be interested.

Future finance is a commercial lender.

No I’m not a EU national. I just want to avoid interest at all costs. My grades are decent but not relating to physics. My GCSE’s are great I got 4A*’s and 2 A’s and 2 B’s and a C. I also have an A* in AS English lit, and 2 B’s in art and psychology. That doesn’t matter, I’ve checked Kings and UCL briefly, their scholarships are for traditional students, asylum seekers or EU students and some other courses. Sfe route has interest so that’s out. I’ll check them out, I’ll keep looking but thanks again :smile:
No I’m not a EU national. I just want to avoid interest at all costs. My grades are decent but not relating to physics. My GCSE’s are great I got 4A*’s and 2 A’s and 2 B’s and a C. I also have an A* in AS English lit, and 2 B’s in art and psychology. That doesn’t matter, I’ve checked Kings and UCL briefly, their scholarships are for traditional students, asylum seekers or EU students and some other courses. Sfe route has interest so that’s out. I’ll check them out, I’ll keep looking but thanks again :smile:

Good luck on getting someone to lend you £30-60k for nothing. You could try a degree apprenticeship.
Good luck on getting someone to lend you £30-60k for nothing. You could try a degree apprenticeship.

Looool it’s not for nothing, I’m Muslim so I can’t go for anything that involves interest. So it’s for religious purposes. I’m going into research so I can’t do an apprenticeship
Looool it’s not for nothing, I’m Muslim so I can’t go for anything that involves interest. So it’s for religious purposes. I’m going into research so I can’t do an apprenticeship

Looool good luck.

I totally understand your situation. I am Muslim too and I'm also thinking about scholarships. I'm sure there will definitely be a way for you so don't be disheartened and be positive. Allah is there 💯✌🏽

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending