The Student Room Group

MAT 2017 Discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rohan77642
You literally just told a competitor of yours that this type of question is not coming. You're basically harming your own chances.

I'm not really sure how would that help them, but I edited my question
Original post by natalieetx
I'm not really sure how would that help them, but I edited my question

You never know. The biggest thing that often throws people off is when they see unfamiliar questions (which is the point of the MAT). Knowing that a certain type of question is not coming may just help them not be shocked during the time of the exam and might even help them devise an exam plan ahead of time. You never know how important the small details are.

Yeah, I agree that this is a small thing in the grand scheme of things. But hey, you always wanna maximise your chances right?
Reply 82
nice to see that some people want to commit just like i do - really messed up :frown:
You never know. The biggest thing that often throws people off is when they see unfamiliar questions (which is the point of the MAT). Knowing that a certain type of question is not coming may just help them not be shocked during the time of the exam and might even help them devise an exam plan ahead of time. You never know how important the small details are.

Yeah, I agree that this is a small thing in the grand scheme of things. But hey, you always wanna maximise your chances right?

Hm, didn't think about that. I apologise. But anyway this year's test was terrible, I hope the threshold will be lower
Original post by anon138
nice to see that some people want to commit just like i do - really messed up :frown:

Let's hope the threshold will be lower!
Hm, didn't think about that. I apologise. But anyway this year's test was terrible, I hope the threshold will be lower

Hahahahaha, why are you apologizing?
No need to apologize.
Reply 86
Reminder : please do not discuss questions from the exam - discussion of this type will be removed. The official thread will reopen tomorrow where you will be able to discuss questions and post solutions.
What do you guys think the average for offer holders will be for this year?
If people found it harder than 2015 then will it be less than 60, or is that a bit too low?
If people found it harder than 2015 then will it be less than 60, or is that a bit too low?

I hope it's gonna be lower, I have max 60%, probably between 40-50%
I hope it's gonna be lower, I have max 60%, probably between 40-50%

Same. Expecting around 50.
When are they gonna put the paper up on their website??

I doubt it will be lower than 60. I think it is reasonable to expect the threshhold to be similar to 2015 and maybe even a bit higher.
Also I don't know if you noticed this as well, but in most odd years the threshold is lower than in even years. So we may be lucky 😄.
Original post by Moriheru
I doubt it will be lower than 60. I think it is reasonable to expect the threshhold to be similar to 2015 and maybe even a bit higher.
Also I don't know if you noticed this as well, but in most odd years the threshold is lower than in even years. So we may be lucky 😄.

Lol, bye bye Oxford.
How much are you expecting to get?
Lol, bye bye Oxford.
How much are you expecting to get?

This is only my guess. I don't think the exam was unreasonably difficult and so I don't think a low th. is justified.Anyway hopefully you can shine in the interview and make up for a low score😁( unless you are applying for my course 😆)

I am expecting around 70... maybe 60 if I messed up.
This is only my guess. I don't think the exam was unreasonably difficult and so I don't think a low th. is justified.Anyway hopefully you can shine in the interview and make up for a low score😁( unless you are applying for my course 😆)

What are you applying for? Jelaous of your score! You'll probably get an interview if you scored that high
Original post by littlesky
When are they gonna put the paper up on their website??

Probably not until next week.
What are you applying for? Jelaous of your score! You'll probably get an interview if you scored that high

Don't be! My GCSEs aren't exactly great so I am not that confident about my application.

I might not even get an interview based on the MAT. Don't worry about me as competition. There are far more smarter people than me applying.
January 2018. You will find out whether you've received an offer and after that you could ask for feedback from the college you applied to, including the mat score.
Don't be! My GCSEs aren't exactly great so I am not that confident about my application.

mate, if you get 70 in this MAT then I dont see any reason why you won't get an interview even if your GCSE's are not good.

Quick Reply

Latest