The Student Room Group

MAT 2017 Discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

I think overall it was reasonable although I'm not sure about question 4, i got the answer but was a wierd question and I didn't really explain my method properly also the last bit of q2, other than that seemed ok
Q6 and Q7 was somewhat doable for me lol. I left Q2 almost entirely blank, had no idea what was i doing :/
Original post by AndyLai9879
Q6 and Q7 was somewhat doable for me lol. I left Q2 almost entirely blank, had no idea what was i doing :/

I couldn't stand Q6 this time, completely not the type of puzzle I enjoy! I got so fed up I read 7 and it looked quite nice but I don't have the joy of completing it.
Reply 103
Wonder if 40-50 can get and offer from imperial? The paper was hard...
Original post by EmilySarah00
I couldn't stand Q6 this time, completely not the type of puzzle I enjoy! I got so fed up I read 7 and it looked quite nice but I don't have the joy of completing it.

Honestly I'm not sure if what I wrote is right lol. I just write what I think is correct. Don't worry pretty sure no one had any joy completing the paper
Hi, I used extra sheet on the back for Q3, but I accidently marked the question number as Q4. I already mentioned in the question paper that I used extra sheet for Q3 before moving on to the back of the page. Could this be a problem?
Original post by Geungoe
Hi, I used extra sheet on the back for Q3, but I accidently marked the question number as Q4. I already mentioned in the question paper that I used extra sheet for Q3 before moving on to the back of the page. Could this be a problem?

I'd say that the person correcting the paper will be smart enough to understand what happened. I don't think you have anything to worry about - they're not robots, they'll what you wrote, look at the back, and put 2 and 2 together.
Honestly, not very difficult except for one MC and the last bit of a longer question. probably an 80 .
I've reopened the main MAT thread and moved all the question discussion to that thread so that it's all in one place.
Can anyone who has done the MAT test tell me how you practiced for the test? I am only in year 11 but I would like some practice for the MAT test so I have more chance of getting into a good university like Oxford for Computer Science. The most practice I have had at the moment is the yearly UKMT Maths challenge tests I have done for the past two years and some practice I did for those two tests.
Original post by lorddemaxus
Can anyone who has done the MAT test tell me how you practiced for the test? I am only in year 11 but I would like some practice for the MAT test so I have more chance of getting into a good university like Oxford for Computer Science. The most practice I have had at the moment is the yearly UKMT Maths challenge tests I have done for the past two years and some practice I did for those two tests.

So since you're in year 11, here's my advice.
Do as many different types of problems you can find. Do not! And I repeat do not just stick to the past papers as a source of preparation. That is essentially what I did and that's where I screwed up. The type of questions they ask changes every year, so past papers may only help to make you get familiar with the format of the questions and get a feel for the time conditions, but to get a high score (for example above 70 for this years paper) you must solve a wide variety of problems and make yourself fluent with a whole range of mathematical techniques and concepts.
Also, people may disagree with me on this but do the past papers in 2hrs 10mins. Give yourself 20mins less just to make sure you don't run out of time in the actual exam. Just a bit of context - I did all the past papers under timed conditions and was consistently getting above 70. This year I will be lucky to get anything above 60. So yeah, do past papers but don't be complacent when scoring highly on them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rohan77642
So since you're in year 11, here's my advice.
Do as many different types of problems you can find. Do not! And I repeat do not just stick to the past papers as a source of preparation. That is essentially what I did and that's where I screwed up. The type of questions they ask changes every year, so past papers may only help to make you get familiar with the format of the questions and get a feel for the time conditions, but to get a high score (for example above 70 for this years paper) you must solve a wide variety of problems and make yourself fluent with a whole range of mathematical techniques and concepts.
Also, people may disagree with me on this but do the past papers in 2hrs 10mins. Give yourself 20mins less just to make sure you don't run out of time in the actual exam. Just a bit of context - I did all the past papers under timed conditions and was consistently getting above 70. This year I will be lucky to get anything between 50 - 60. So yeah, do past papers but don't be complacent when scoring highly on them.

I don't know how to find different types of problems. I know the problems are from C1 and C2. I have not completed C2 yet but do I take different problems that involved similiar concepts to both modules?
Original post by lorddemaxus
I don't know how to find different types of problems. I know the problems are from C1 and C2. I have not completed C2 yet but do I take different problems that involved similiar concepts to both modules?

Are you applying for Maths or Compsci ?
Original post by Rohan77642
Are you applying for Maths or Compsci ?

I want to do Computer Science but am also keeping Mathematics as an option. I also have a huge interest in doing the computer science + philosophy course that Oxford is offering and you need to do the MAT to have a chance of being offered.
One of the biggest problems I had with this was space to write my answers... I don't understand how they could have a full A4 side of writing for one question and leave me one page to answer it on.

Questions 2 and 3 were good, I didn't finish Q4 but Q5 was arguably the easiest question on the paper (the first few parts pretty much seemed to ask the same thing Q:*blah blah kids in a circle?* A: modulo 10 etc)

Multiple choice was f**king weird. I'm still unsure about half of them and some just annoyed me XD

Overall it was a hard paper though not as bad as 2013 I think. If all else fails I'll go to Warwick.

Quick Reply

Latest