The Student Room Group

what do you think about my A levels choices?

I don't know A level subject to do from:
biology
chemistry
maths
english literature
history
i know for sure i want to do biology but not sure about the rest
what do u think is the best
Original post by ezaz001
I don't know A level subject to do from:
biology
chemistry
maths
english literature
history
i know for sure i want to do biology but not sure about the rest
what do u think is the best

What do you think of those subjects? Our choice isn’t going to motivate you for the next 2 years
Reply 2
If I were you I would pick Biology Chemistry and Maths. But then again that's because I love maths and science, if you like writing essays then pick english and history and maths.
How about biology chemistry english and history? A good mix of science and arts. Unless you want to do chemistry at university there's no reason to do maths
Reply 4
Original post by jacobtporter
How about biology chemistry english and history? A good mix of science and arts. Unless you want to do chemistry at university there's no reason to do maths

I feel like maths will help me in chemistry and biology. I love history but the rest of my subjects are already heavy contented.
Original post by ezaz001
I feel like maths will help me in chemistry and biology. I love history but the rest of my subjects are already heavy contented.

Hi there. I'm doing art, biology and chemistry at A2 and I'm performing in the maths areas of bio and chem the same as and in some cases better than my math-taking counterparts. It's not complicated at all, mostly just learning to recognize equations and sub things in.
My advice would be do not take maths unless you have a real passion and intuitive skill for it. If you don't, maths is absolutely hell.
History, Biology and Maths would be good - you could go into Biology as a degree since you have two science/maths subjects, but you can also put across how you are analytical and can handle a large workload by having History as well.
Original post by ezaz001

I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology (I'm in year 13) and believe me you don't need maths A Level to do well! I didn't take it cause I hate maths and would struggle immensely with it and it's the best decision I've ever made. I did better in my AS exams than people who also take maths along with them, it's hard but once you get the gist of it they're not actually that bad of questions.

Only take maths if you are good at it and most importantly enjoy it because if you don't enjoy the A Levels you choose the years will drag. I have a friend who took Law cause she thought it would go well with her other subjects despite finding law boring and hated her AS year (she dropped it for this year) so just keep that in mind!
Reply 8
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I do Biology, Chemistry and Psychology (I'm in year 13) and believe me you don't need maths A Level to do well! I didn't take it cause I hate maths and would struggle immensely with it and it's the best decision I've ever made. I did better in my AS exams than people who also take maths along with them, it's hard but once you get the gist of it they're not actually that bad of questions.

Only take maths if you are good at it and most importantly enjoy it because if you don't enjoy the A Levels you choose the years will drag. I have a friend who took Law cause she thought it would go well with her other subjects despite finding law boring and hated her AS year (she dropped it for this year) so just keep that in mind!

I was thinking of that but is psychology boring or not.
Reply 9
Original post by yeahthatonethere

I was thinking of psychology but I am not sure how it is.
Original post by ezaz001
I was thinking of that but is psychology boring or not.

I personally love psychology and find what we cover very interesting. It is a very content heavy course however so you need to do a lot of revision to do well (you have to know the procedure, results and conclusions for a bunch of big studies then memories a crap ton of smaller ones and then learn about 3 theories per section on top, not to mention key questions, practicals, research methods and evaluation points for everything I just said)! It's also very essay based so if essays aren't your thing then I'd rethink it. Despite all this work however I have throroughly enjoyed the course so far!

Quick Reply

Latest