The Student Room Group

No motivation

Got offers from two unis so far but no motivation to actually work for the required grades. Also got an interview at another to prepare for
Original post by Allemagne
Got offers from two unis so far but no motivation to actually work for the required grades. Also got an interview at another to prepare for

Hey! Don't lose motivation now!

You must have worked so hard to get to the stage you are at and receive those offers, it would be a shame to let it slip away.

If you ever need anyone to talk to, either about your studies or life in general, feel free to message me.

Keep in mind though the offers you've got and where you see yourself in 2, 3, 5 years time. I used to write something down on a piece of paper and have it next to my desk so it was a constant reminder of where I wanted to be.

Like I've said though, any issues feel free to contact me :h:

Do you not like the course you are applying for? Or is it that you don't like the A-Levels you are doing?
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword
Hey! Don't lose motivation now!

You must have worked so hard to get to the stage you are at and receive those offers, it would be a shame to let it slip away.

If you ever need anyone to talk to, either about your studies or life in general, feel free to message me.

Keep in mind though the offers you've got and where you see yourself in 2, 3, 5 years time. I used to write something down on a piece of paper and have it next to my desk so it was a constant reminder of where I wanted to be.

Like I've said though, any issues feel free to contact me :h:

Thank you
I felt the same in year 13. I felt so pressured with all the deadlines and amount of extra work you're supposed to do. Plus, I'm the first one in my immediate family to go to uni so if I didn't get in it would be a huge disappointment. That just made me close my textbooks and waste my time on social media. I genuinely couldn't even open a textbook without getting incredibly stressed out. That feeling came and went and sometimes I was able to do hours of work in one day, but then no work for 3 days.

You just have to push through it and think of the outcome. I think I was also shocked at the level of work required of me in year 13. I'd always been getting good grades and results ever since primary school, so it was expected of me that I'll do well. I hated that pressure. Whenever I said to my dad I might not get in, he always said "of course you will you're smart it'll be easy" which really didn't help. He took me to all the open days up and down the country so he said "I've spent hundreds on petrol and hotels, you're going to uni". My mum was so much better. I knew I'd be happy in uni or not and she was happy with that. She encouraged me to work but she didn't put any pressure on me to go to uni.

I can't say it'll get easier, but it'll be worth it on results day. I ended up with A*AB plus A in EPQ. Total shock as I thought I got BCC and a B in EPQ. You can do it!
Reply 5
Original post by Want_To_Achieve
Do you not like the course you are applying for? Or is it that you don't like the A-Levels you are doing?

Just the sixth form, mostly the people tbh
Reply 6
Original post by DrawTheLine
I felt the same in year 13. I felt so pressured with all the deadlines and amount of extra work you're supposed to do. Plus, I'm the first one in my immediate family to go to uni so if I didn't get in it would be a huge disappointment. That just made me close my textbooks and waste my time on social media. I genuinely couldn't even open a textbook without getting incredibly stressed out. That feeling came and went and sometimes I was able to do hours of work in one day, but then no work for 3 days.

You just have to push through it and think of the outcome. I think I was also shocked at the level of work required of me in year 13. I'd always been getting good grades and results ever since primary school, so it was expected of me that I'll do well. I hated that pressure. Whenever I said to my dad I might not get in, he always said "of course you will you're smart it'll be easy" which really didn't help. He took me to all the open days up and down the country so he said "I've spent hundreds on petrol and hotels, you're going to uni". My mum was so much better. I knew I'd be happy in uni or not and she was happy with that. She encouraged me to work but she didn't put any pressure on me to go to uni.

I can't say it'll get easier, but it'll be worth it on results day. I ended up with A*AB plus A in EPQ. Total shock as I thought I got BCC and a B in EPQ. You can do it!

Thank you and well done on your results!

Think of it this way.. you won't have to see their sh*tty faces again once you go to uni
Thank you

No problem :smile:

Are people being in the "in it for yourself" mood where they don't want to help anybody and want to only help themselves so that they can get into university?
Reply 10
Are people being in the "in it for yourself" mood where they don't want to help anybody and want to only help themselves so that they can get into university?

That and general *****iness
That and general *****iness

I feel you man. It was a pain for me. Sixth Form doesn't prepare you for University and for work. Only the A Level content does.
Also, some sixth forms like the one I went to didn't allow you to leave school when you had free lessons (even when you had no more lessons for the day). And my sixth form didn't allow me to have lunch outside.
Reply 13
You've come this far, keep going!

Just think, if you get the grades you'll be out of your current situation (sixth form) and enjoying life at the uni you've chosen. :smile:
Original post by klw18
You've come this far, keep going!

Just think, if you get the grades you'll be out of your current situation (sixth form) and enjoying life at the uni you've chosen. :smile:

University is a whole lot different to Sixth Form and A Levels and even though there is a lot of work to be done, you will have loads of free time and time to relax unlike school where you do 3 A Levels and you always feel super worried. What I suggest is to find things that can motivate your time at Sixth Form. Maybe go to open days or find work experience (if you haven't got it already) in your field of study and this will help ease the BS of Sixth Form.
Reply 15
University is a whole lot different to Sixth Form and A Levels and even though there is a lot of work to be done, you will have loads of free time and time to relax unlike school where you do 3 A Levels and you always feel super worried. What I suggest is to find things that can motivate your time at Sixth Form. Maybe go to open days or find work experience (if you haven't got it already) in your field of study and this will help ease the BS of Sixth Form.

I'm not the OP. :tongue:

But definitely agree with you!
Reply 16

Thank you for your help!
Thank you for your help!

No Problem. Always happy to help!!!

Think about what you want in life. What do you want? If you don't know what you want then start looking. This will guide your decisions.
Just imagine yourself in a beach in the Maldives and then realise if you dont get your act together, your future is renting a small room with 4 other people in a grim northern town

Quick Reply

Latest