The Student Room Group

What could it be?

Hey all

So I was driving home today, stopped at a red light, and a lorry went past and momentarily stopped (because of traffic up ahead) covering the light (it was red for me when the lorry got there). As the lorry went on, the light had turned green, so I pulled out. Soon as I did, I'm sure there were a number of flashes. I was at a junction turning right, and once I was across, I had a look behind me and noticed the car that was behind me at the lights hadn't followed me out. Now, I'm hoping this was a traffic sensor camera and the car had actually turned left (thus me not seeing it), but is there anything else it could be? Its a pretty busy junction so I'm imagining I would have hit someone if my light wasn't green, but I'm getting paranoid I jamp a red light and just got lucky with timing. I'm not a regular on that route so I can't really go back to see if there's a red light camera etc there.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by Yes?no?
I jamp a red light

That's some remarkable English!

Original post by Yes?no?

Any help would be much appreciated.

You could use google maps street view to revisit it. If you weren't speeding, then it was probably a red light camera. From the sounds of it they could let you off given the circumstances and your speed but you'll just have to wait 14 days to find out for sure. I've been flashed by a red light camera a long time ago by my own mistake. I wasn't speeding and never received anything from it.
Reply 2
Remarkable... remarkably poor? Or remarkably good? Your english isn't very clear :tongue: (sorry, couldn't resist).

Anyway, from the rest of your post, it seems speed matters through a red light camera? I wasn't aware this was the case, are you sure about this? Should be ok on this one then :h:
Reply 3
Original post by Yes?no?
Remarkable... remarkably poor? Or remarkably good? Your english isn't very clear :tongue: (sorry, couldn't resist).

Anyway, from the rest of your post, it seems speed matters through a red light camera? I wasn't aware this was the case, are you sure about this? Should be ok on this one then :h:

Didn't want to offend, so I thought I'd leave it at remarkable.

Speed might not matter but from the perspective of the pictures I think you're more likely to be let off being slightly past the lights rather than far away, which would suggest you were clearly jumping the lights.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
I don't know if your trolling, but seeing as it is clear what I meant (atleast clear enough for you to understand), and your reply was to criticise poor english whilst admitting you were not being clear yourself, I hope the irony isn't lost on you.

I agree, it's best I wait the 14 days and see what awaits.
Reply 5
Original post by Yes?no?
I don't know if your trolling, but seeing as it is clear what I meant (atleast clear enough for you to understand), and your reply was to criticise poor english whilst admitting you were not being clear yourself

I believe it's quite the opposite.
Normally I really wouldn't bother but I think this might help you, so let's break this down, I guess. *Sigh...*

Original post by Yes?no?
seeing as it is clear what I meant (atleast clear enough for you to understand)

If you see closely, I quoted your "I jamp a red light" and made a lighthearted remark about your choice of word i.e, 'jamp' as 'remarkable'. That's it, no more.

However, you now seem to think that I'm criticising your entire post and deeming it 'unclear' and you're fabricating this whole idea of unclear English being bad English and trying to hold me guilty to your "unclear english is bad english" idea when actually, there is no error in what I said:

'Remarkable' is a perfectly valid adjective on its own. It doesn't have to be 'remarkably' anything. I deliberately didn't use the adverbial form as I didn't need to say it was 'remarkably' anything.

Original post by Yes?no?

I hope the irony isn't lost on you.

Not sure why you felt adding this rather juvenile tit-for-tat comment was necessary but I hope you see now that you were barking up the wrong tree.
Reply 6
*facepalm* I didn't think someone would ever quote themselves out of context, but you learn something new every day I guess.

You said its remarkable, and when asked for clarification, said you didn't want to offend. Therefore, "remarkable" is not "perfectly valid" on its own, as many things can be described as remarkable and be praiseworthy. So yes, you did need to clarify how it was "remarkable".

Re: the "tit for tat" comment. If you read the post again, you can see it was part of a whole sentence, so it may be worth viewing it in the context of that next time. I was specifically referring to the fact you referred to the standard of somebody else's english as poor (by saying it's remarkable, and saying you don't want to offend, it can reasonably be assumed you don't think it's remarkable in a positive way), whilst using poor english yourself by way of not clarifying how something is "remarkable". There isn't any tit for tat there, it's ironic, and seeing as you're so keen on upholding the standard of english on the TSR forums, I thought I'd point that out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending