The Student Room Group

How to use semi colons? HELP

am i using the semi colon right in this sentence:

Moreover, in the first five minutes, a rapport is built between the speaker and the lady; he disapproves of the lady's manner while praising it on the outside.
Reply 1
bump
Seems right to me.

I think it's used to separate two things that could be two sentences, but where the second part is like a carry-on from the first.
Reply 3
Hey, yeah, that use of semi colon there is correct. Think of semis colons as a stronger coma. 😁
Reply 4
Original post by Saf5238
Hey, yeah, that use of semi colon there is correct. Think of semis colons as a stronger coma. 😁

Death, then
i have examined your sentence carefully, and, on the basis of my own usage of this important punctuation mark, have decided to allow the usage of the semi-colon therein; moreover may i congratulate you on the use of this somewhat neglected part of our splendid grammar system.
Reply 6
Reply 7
Original post by Juno
Death, then

Very funny 😂😭😭
Reply 8
The normal description of a semicolon is:
A semi colon can be used to connect two independent clauses that are closely linked in meaning
E.g.
The professor began class at exactly 10 o'clock; the students who arrived late missed some of the lecture.

I am not sure your example observes the rule. I would have thought that two separate sentence would be preferable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending