The Student Room Group

Architecture portfolio HELP ?!

I started year 12 a few months ago and I have taken Maths, Further Maths and Physics for my a-levels (we were recommended to take 3). I didn't want to take art as i wasn't sure I wanted to do architecture at uni, & i didn't take it at gcse so it would've been risky. I am good at art, I just prefer to do it in my own time.

I need to start on a portfolio for uni and I can't find much on what to include, can anyone help on how to present it and how much I need to do as it's stressing me out that I don't have a plan :/

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by rebekah150
I started year 12 a few months ago and I have taken Maths, Further Maths and Physics for my a-levels (we were recommended to take 3). I didn't want to take art as i wasn't sure I wanted to do architecture at uni, & i didn't take it at gcse so it would've been risky. I am good at art, I just prefer to do it in my own time.

I need to start on a portfolio for uni and I can't find much on what to include, can anyone help on how to present it and how much I need to do as it's stressing me out that I don't have a plan :/

Thanks in advance :smile:

Firstly relax, you have over a year to finish it! I failed Art GCSE so honestly, not the best person to advise how long art should take, but that's to highlight you have plenty of time to figure it out if you don't just yet :yep:

For Architecture my friend did a lot of technical drawings and studies of statues, memorials, buildings (at least a couple so you show it's not just all flashy stuff) and so on (not sure if you're familiar with Cardiff, but he was asked about his analysis of the War Memorial he sketched and researched). Generally, you just need to do that, plus analyse them like that

He also added some art pieces in various different styles; not sure if that's specifically required, but it does help if you have a particular talent. The portfolio is just there to be a more visual aid about why you're interested in Architecture compared to just the statement c:

If you're going to do that though I'd suggest finding structures that actually interest you a bit, because you'll likely be asked about them in the interview (if your choices have one).

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CastCuraga
Firstly relax, you have over a year to finish it! I failed Art GCSE so honestly, not the best person to advise how long art should take, but that's to highlight you have plenty of time to figure it out if you don't just yet :yep:

For Architecture my friend did a lot of technical drawings and studies of statues, memorials, buildings (at least a couple so you show it's not just all flashy stuff) and so on (not sure if you're familiar with Cardiff, but he was asked about his analysis of the War Memorial he sketched and researched). Generally, you just need to do that, plus analyse them like that

He also added some art pieces in various different styles; not sure if that's specifically required, but it does help if you have a particular talent. The portfolio is just there to be a more visual aid about why you're interested in Architecture compared to just the statement c:

If you're going to do that though I'd suggest finding structures that actually interest you a bit, because you'll likely be asked about them in the interview (if your choices have one).

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you so much! Thats calmed me down a bit aha, & thanks for the advice, its helped a lot :smile:
Original post by rebekah150
Thank you so much! Thats calmed me down a bit aha, & thanks for the advice, its helped a lot :smile:

No problem, glad to help! Just ask if you need any more help putting it together :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest