The Student Room Group

Pressured To Do Science

Scroll to see replies

I do Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry

Something that you really need to get across to your father is that the Sciences are BRUTAL, if you do not have a genuine and definitive passion for the subject. And that he needs to think over these two scenarios:

1) Temporary satisfaction with you taking sciences only for long term disappointment for not doing as well in it and having that failure lingering over the both of you, knowing that this was a product of your own pressuring of your child.

2) Temporary 'disappointment' (despite you taking 3 highly respectable A Levels, which will probably end up taking you very far in life, might I add), but you have a passion for the subjects, attain the very best in them, go to the very best institutions, and attain the very best career, paying the very best salary, i.e long term satisfaction for not just you, but him too.

Every logical parent would pick with the second scenario, if he still won't listen despite this, I don't know what will, go with your gut, and your heart, one shouldn't pick A Levels on their father's whim.
Original post by Keslo
That's awesome man, I am glad you're enjoying a levels.
Do you think choosing further maths and a levels is a good choice, I'm only doing it to ensure I don't fall behind in further maths.

So I'm guessing you mean by 'F. maths and a levels' you would take further maths, and then 3 other a-levels ? (correct me if i'm wrong). I would say only do that if you're very organised and have a good work ethic. A few people I know have taken 4 subjects and honestly they're just drowning in work, and considering further maths is such a mentally demanding (yet fun) subject, I wouldn't necessarily advice it.
Reply 22
Original post by rebekah150
So I'm guessing you mean by 'F. maths and a levels' you would take further maths, and then 3 other a-levels ? (correct me if i'm wrong). I would say only do that if you're very organised and have a good work ethic. A few people I know have taken 4 subjects and honestly they're just drowning in work, and considering further maths is such a mentally demanding (yet fun) subject, I wouldn't necessarily advice it.

I should have been more clear, I am planning to do further maths, a level maths and economics in a levels, I don't want the stress of 4 a levels. I was just asking if fm and a level maths are worth doing together.
Reply 23
Original post by AryanGh
I do Further Maths, Maths, Physics, Chemistry

Something that you really need to get across to your father is that the Sciences are BRUTAL, if you do not have a genuine and definitive passion for the subject. And that he needs to think over these two scenarios:

1) Temporary satisfaction with you taking sciences only for long term disappointment for not doing as well in it and having that failure lingering over the both of you, knowing that this was a product of your own pressuring of your child.

2) Temporary 'disappointment' (despite you taking 3 highly respectable A Levels, which will probably end up taking you very far in life, might I add), but you have a passion for the subjects, attain the very best in them, go to the very best institutions, and attain the very best career, paying the very best salary, i.e long term satisfaction for not just you, but him too.

Every logical parent would pick with the second scenario, if he still won't listen despite this, I don't know what will, go with your gut, and your heart, one shouldn't pick A Levels on their father's whim.

I honestly really appreciate this reply, I talked about it with him and as u said he was slightly disappointed but as you said in the long term it will definitely be the better option.
I'd also like to give some perspective;

I took 4 Arts subjects at A Level when I wanted to do Science (bad circumstances at GCSE).
Then, I took Bio and Chem by myself afterwards instead of going to uni to try and make it happen.

Now I do Biomedical Science, and I'm transferring to study one of my Arts subjects instead...

I think my point here is that even people who take their time and money to study science at university can be just completely overwhelmed and defeated by how much work goes into a science degree. And that's assuming they were passionate to begin with!

If you have no passion for science now, doing it at degree level is going to drag so, so hard, please trust me on that. In this economic climate you only get one time at university, and I can't stress enough how important it is that you do something you enjoy and wake up in the morning with passion to study.
Original post by Keslo
I should have been more clear, I am planning to do further maths, a level maths and economics in a levels, I don't want the stress of 4 a levels. I was just asking if fm and a level maths are worth doing together.

Ah okay. Personally I would say they are worth doing together because maths is a strong subject of mine (and I'm guessing it is yours too) so I know with the hard work I will get good results in both maths and further & I know I want to go into a career heavily related with maths. Some universities see doing f. maths as a 3rd a level to not be too good, whereas some really like it as it shows your commitment to the subject and that you have a good work ethic (as it is demanding at times).

Quick Reply

Latest