The Student Room Group

how can i decide that pursing law degree will be good for me.please help

Original post by lawrencium23

Look out for taster schemes offered by universities local to you. Try and read some of the books from universities' recommended reading lists. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have, though I've only been doing a law degree for 2 months.
Reply 2
As a Law student, I'd say if you like reading (lots of independent research and reading required), don't mind the heavy work load and find it somewhat interesting - you should go for it.

It will certainly be rewarding for you when you graduate, but also look out for what style of teaching the university offers.

I'm currently at the University of York and their Law School uses a process known as Problem-Based Learning (PBL) and we're all put into student law firms. By actively learning this way, you gain skills which you'd need most when working as a lawyer. I'd most certainly recommend looking at York because of the engagement you get as a learner - also you're not alone, you have a law firm and 'junior partners' (year two/ year three law students) to support you besides the professors etc.

Make sure that when you're looking at Law degrees, that they have modules on things you would consider interesting, i.e. Roman Law as a very limited number of universities offer this.

Best of luck!
Original post by k019
As a Law student, I'd say if you like reading (lots of independent research and reading required), don't mind the heavy work load and find it somewhat interesting - you should go for it.

It will certainly be rewarding for you when you graduate, but also look out for what style of teaching the university offers.

I'm currently at the University of York and their Law School uses a process known as Problem-Based Learning (PBL) and we're all put into student law firms. By actively learning this way, you gain skills which you'd need most when working as a lawyer. I'd most certainly recommend looking at York because of the engagement you get as a learner - also you're not alone, you have a law firm and 'junior partners' (year two/ year three law students) to support you besides the professors etc.

Make sure that when you're looking at Law degrees, that they have modules on things you would consider interesting, i.e. Roman Law as a very limited number of universities offer this.

Best of luck!

Not Op but I am considering to do law at uni but I have heard how it's so hard to get a training contract after... is this true? So would you say a person who is well suited to this degree would be a person who is very good at memorising e.g like history and Biology?
Original post by Bluebell1234
Not Op but I am considering to do law at uni but I have heard how it's so hard to get a training contract after... is this true? So would you say a person who is well suited to this degree would be a person who is very good at memorising e.g like history and Biology?

Yep it is incredibly hard to get a TC these days. My partner has a chap in his firm with a first in Law and he is the office junior. ( And massively in debt) If you do want to be a solicitor become a paralegal first.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Yep it is incredibly hard to get a TC these days. My partner has a chap in his firm with a first in Law and he is the office junior. ( And massively in debt) If you do want to be a solicitor become a paralegal first.

Hi could you please define paralegal? but if u go to top unis like warwick etc+ u end with a first is it easier? or is it basically experience experience....
role of office junior? is law basically paperwork in real life most of thee time and is this simialr to an accountant's- in terms of paperwork

Hi could you please define paralegal? but if u go to top unis like warwick etc+ u end with a first is it easier? or is it basically experience experience....
role of office junior? is law basically paperwork in real life most of thee time and is this simialr to an accountant's- in terms of paperwork

A google search will tell you what a paralegal is - I am neither a solicitor or an accountant (my partner is solicitor ) so cannot comment on paperwork. I think you need to do a little bit more research before you embark on a very costly degree course.
Reply 7

I've attended several talks and with regards to training contracts and such, it's all about networking and your willingness to go out there and try to grab any opportunity you can get. You shouldn't dwell too much on rejection as nowadays, it's hard to get into a high demanding job, no matter the role (paralegal, receptionist, or solicitor)..

Memory could be helpful when it comes to exams, (bare in mind some university is more coursework based and some are exams are closed book/ open book - depends on university so do more research on this!) as remembering case names and such would be handy to gain extra marks. If anything, I'd say the most important quality to have as a student when studying law is 'determination' or 'responsibility'. I've learnt that when procrastinating and failing to meet deadlines for small tasks, it really does put you at a disadvantage. So my advice is, keep to your deadlines, do your work to the best ability (you can never do too much) and if you're unsure of anything - make sure you ask for clarification! You do not necessarily need 'good memory' to succeed when doing a Law degree (if anything, I have the worst memory). I would say it's to do with persistence and willingness to learn, so just researching, writing notes from lectures/ seminars and recapping your notes to reinforce long-term memory.

Generally speaking, studying law will provide everyone skills who wishes to endeavour into the field of law, whether or not you come from a mathematical field or an artistic one.

Hopefully that was helpful ...?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending