The Student Room Group

HELP

I am determined to study medicine (2019) however i have taken my GCSE maths and science (due to circumstance) again and I did not do well in my english AS last year as I was told the grade did not matter as I was not doing it at a-level. I am now studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology if I get a good UKCAT and I have lots of work experience/ volunteer work and get my expected A* AA at a-level do I still have a chance?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thank you!!!!
Some unis don't allow entrance with psychology a level so check the websites to make sure
Reply 3
Original post by Medicine2018
Some unis don't allow entrance with psychology a level so check the websites to make sure

I will, thank you!
Original post by Medicine2018

I'm not sure how accurate this is. The OP has Biology and Chemistry which means they can apply to any med school. Psychology, taken as a 3rd A-level, is perfectly acceptable.
Reply 5
Original post by GrandExecutioner
I'm not sure how accurate this is. The OP has Biology and Chemistry which means they can apply to any med school. Psychology, taken as a 3rd A-level, is perfectly acceptable.

You’re right, although there are some med schools, Cambridge off the top of my head, who want 3 science A levels and I’m not sure they count psychology as science.
Reply 6
Im just concerned at how much my english AS from the last academic year will effect my entry
Original post by SGHD26716
You’re right, although there are some med schools, Cambridge off the top of my head, who want 3 science A levels and I’m not sure they count psychology as science.

Cambridge do not demand 3 science A levels either
Original post by SGHD26716

By some you mean 1 :P

You are partially right and I didn't want to confuse the OP in thinking there are med schools which require 3 sciences because technically he/she can apply to any med school with that combination, including Cambridge.

There are a FEW Cambridge colleges which require you to have 3 sciences but there are also lots of Cambridge colleges which don't require 3 sciences. So if the OP wanted to, they could apply to Cambridge- he/she would just have to pick a college from a slightly smaller list.
Reply 9
Original post by Someone123123
Cambridge do not demand 3 science A levels either

By some you mean 1 :P

You are partially right and I didn't want to confuse the OP in thinking there are med schools which require 3 sciences because technically he/she can apply to any med school with that combination, including Cambridge.

There are a FEW Cambridge colleges which require you to have 3 sciences but there are also lots of Cambridge colleges which don't require 3 sciences. So if the OP wanted to, they could apply to Cambridge- he/she would just have to pick a college from a slightly smaller list.

I see. I stand corrected.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by watson2468
Im just concerned at how much my english AS from the last academic year will effect my entry

This is quite a specific thing and probably won't be mentioned in detail on the uni website. So I would email/phone a couple of the med schools you are looking to apply to (I know it's too early to decide without your UKCAT score, etc) and ask them how your English AS would impact your application. You should be able to get a good idea then as to how it will be judged and possibly some idea as to which med schools to avoid.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
This is quite a specific thing and probably won't be mentioned in detail on the uni website. So I would email/phone a couple of the med schools you are looking to aply to (I know it's too early to decide without your UKCAT score, etc) and ask themhow your English AS would affect your application. You should get a good idea as to how it will be judged and possibly some idea as to which med schools to avoid.

As long as I have a few options that is fine! I am not concerned about what university I go to as long as I have options but I should research more into what universities would be best! thanks for your help:smile:
Don't you mean "Medicine at Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL or nothing"? :biggrin:
HA! Triggered.

Do non-RG unis even do medicine? :P

AS levels are not really required as only 3 A levels are required for entry at most unis, due to the new A levels
It is worth it because at the end of the day you become a doctor whether you go to a Russel university or not
I am determined to study medicine (2019) however i have taken my GCSE maths and science (due to circumstance) again and I did not do well in my english AS last year as I was told the grade did not matter as I was not doing it at a-level. I am now studying Biology, Chemistry and Psychology if I get a good UKCAT and I have lots of work experience/ volunteer work and get my expected A* AA at a-level do I still have a chance?!

I don't see why not... just make sure when you are applying you check their criteria and how the accept some students. Some unis (like cardiff) work on a point system where they allocate certain numbers of points to different grades and so may look at ASs and take resits into account. And I would suggest picking unis that look at the UKCAT or BMAT highly to make up for any other little things.
I think there needs to be a world recognise sarcasm font. Would make the internet a much clearer place!! (And would also mean excellent sarcasm/dry wit wouldn't be wasted)
Can you imagine? *shudder*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending