The Student Room Group

Mindmaps

Hello people

So I’ve been doing some research lately on various revision techniques, and I came across Mind maps. I’ve tried to create a mindmap on chemistry and I’ll admit, it didn’t turn out so good.

Can someone perhaps please show me an example of a mindmap they’ve created and how to make one?
Bump
Original post by HXA97
Hello people

So I’ve been doing some research lately on various revision techniques, and I came across Mind maps. I’ve tried to create a mindmap on chemistry and I’ll admit, it didn’t turn out so good.

Can someone perhaps please show me an example of a mindmap they’ve created and how to make one?

is this a-level or gcse
I don't use mindmaps but I will say this.

While it is possible to improve your "mindmapping skills" by seeing how others have done it, if you're struggling to use it as a revision format, then it's more possible that it's just not for you. Have you tried other techniques (i.e. flashcards)?
Original post by Ray_Shadows
is this a-level or gcse

GCSE, sorry posted In the ‘A level’ section by accident. I guess mindmaps are applicable in both A levels and GCSE though.
Original post by HXA97
GCSE, sorry posted In the ‘A level’ section by accident. I guess mindmaps are applicable in both A levels and GCSE though.

hmm just go unit by unit making notes on things that are not as easy to remember
Original post by GrandExecutioner
I don't use mindmaps but I will say this.

While it is possible to improve your "mindmapping skills" by seeing how others have done it, if you're struggling to use it as a revision format, then it's more possible that it's just not for you. Have you tried other techniques (i.e. flashcards)?

Yes, I’ve used flash cards and they haven’t worked for me.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
hmm just go unit by unit making notes on things that are not as easy to remember

Yeah, I currently note take but I need to start trying other revision techniques e.g. mindmaps
Original post by HXA97
Yes, I’ve used flash cards and they haven’t worked for me.

That's kind of like me. No revisions rechniques work/worked for me.

I do a lot of them anyway because it's the process when YOU MAKE the revision materials that make you actually learn. Not the notes you gain at the end (though you can use these in the future to glance over). I'd be content just reading a textbook as it's just as effective as other revision techniques and would save time but I try and make some notes anyway (not for future reference) but to actually learn WHEN you condense the information into short notes.

I hope that made sense! Don't worry if you haven't stumbled upon a revision technique which doesn't work for you.
That's kind of like me. No revisions rechniques work/worked for me.

I do a lot of them anyway because it's the process when YOU MAKE the revision materials that make you actually learn. Not the notes you gain at the end (though you can use these in the future to glance over). I'd be content just reading a textbook as it's just as effective as other revision techniques and would save time but I try and make some notes anyway (not for future reference) but to actually learn WHEN you condense the information into short notes.

I hope that made sense! Don't worry if you haven't stumbled upon a revision technique which doesn't work for you.

Yeah, the only thing that’s working for me is writing notes from my revision guide but it isn’t really effective if I’ve got to admit. Reading textbooks is ok, but for someone like me who’s a visual learner, it wouldn’t be the best option for me which is why I want to try out mindmaps. I really need to find a revision technique that works for me, so I can solidify it and get the best grades possible.
Original post by HXA97
Yeah, the only thing that’s working for me is writing notes from my revision guide but it isn’t really effective if I’ve got to admit. Reading textbooks is ok, but for someone like me who’s a visual learner, it wouldn’t be the best option for me which is why I want to try out mindmaps. I really need to find a revision technique that works for me, so I can solidify it and get the best grades possible.

Then by all means- try out mindmaps.

Remember, you shouldn't spend all your time note-taking! The most effective way to boost marks is by doing practice papers, marking your answers and then doing another.

I barely made notes at all unless it was for homework purposes. The majority of my time was just practice questions and reading off a textbook (which is condemned!)
Then by all means- try out mindmaps.

Remember, you shouldn't spend all your time note-taking! The most effective way to boost marks is by doing practice papers, marking your answers and then doing another.

I barely made notes at all unless it was for homework purposes. The majority of my time was just practice questions and reading off a textbook (which is condemned!)

Yeah, so I’m gonna do some mindmaps, flash cards or whatever so the content stuff is in my head and then do tons of questions on that unit until I’m getting high marks. I’ve made a revision plan for 8 weeks -my mock exams start here. I will be posting on my GYG blog from tomorrow.

Link for my GYG Blog:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5110164

Quick Reply

Latest