The Student Room Group

Ask me ANYTHING about Hinduism

Hey guys, Hinduism is quite a diverse way of life which can be confusing for many including Hindu's themselves.

Feel free to start asking questions.

Scroll to see replies

No one so far? so I am the first who ask you. That is a question which interests me most of all:

Iti s about Vishnu. It is said that Wischnu hold the world together and saved this one many times by changing the life forms. It is also said Rama is the embodiment of Vishnu. Question: Why Vishnu has so many life forms when he has a real form?
Original post by Kallisto
No one so far? so I am the first who ask you. That is a question which interests me most of all:

Iti s about Vishnu. It is said that Wischnu hold the world together and saved this one many times by changing the life forms. It is also said Rama is the embodiment of Vishnu. Question: Why Vishnu has so many life forms when he has a real form?

Hello!
Yes you are the first with a question on this thread.
Okay, so from what I understand, it seems like you're trying to ask that regardless of the forms of Vishnu that have been displayed (Krishna, Rama), which is the "real" form.
There are many arguments that can be made around this point, but first it is necessary to understand the concept of God in Hinduism.
Hinduism, as far as scriptures go is a monotheistic faith with only ONE god, known as "Bhrahman" or "Para-Bhraman" (NB - This is different from Bharama).

So, Bhrahman is the ultimate God, formless and without any attributes, of whom there are no images etc.
Bhrahman is often attributed as being the "creator", "preserver" and "destroyer" (Bhrahman, Vishnu and Mahesh (shiva)).

Vishnu is therefore the preserver of the Universe. But Vishnu is indeed Bharman.

In the Vaishnava sect of Hinduism, Vishnu is the ONLY God and followers, known as Vaishnav's follow Vishnu and his incarnations which are the following:
Matsya, Kurma, Varaha, Narasimha, Vamana, Parashurama, Rama, Krishna, (Balarama) or (Buddha) and Kalki.

The two in bold are most worshipped as the incarnations of God.

Now to your question about the "real form".

In early Hindu texts, God is said to have no form. But religious segregation and division from the primary texts has meant that people have developed there own ways of seeing God.

I hope this answers your question, and God knows best.
Reply 3
Do you think that the Advaitin outlook is the logical conclusion of the Upanisads?
Original post by gjd800
Do you think that the Advaitin outlook is the logical conclusion of the Upanisads?

Hello! Thank you for your question.

Yes I definitely think so, for others who are reading the question and this answer here's some background.

There are 108 upanishads which bring about all the philosophy in the Vedas, of which are 10-13 principle Upanishads (these are known as "principle" since they are those which Adi Shankracharya commented upon).

Of the principle Upanishads, the Mandukya Upanishad is most famous and it is had been taught in various Purana's proceeding the Upanishad's that the Mandukya is the only Upanishad needed for liberation/moksha.

Within the Mandukya, there is a description of one's identity and the Upanishad makes sense that there are four parts to one's identity. They are:

1) The state of consciousness
2) The state of dreaming
3) The state of deep sleep
4) The "turiya"

Number 4 is of great interest, and it is that soul which is God himself.
There is proof in other religions also, that God is the soul and hence Advaita Vedanta is proved to be correct.

I hope this answers the question.
Are there different sects in Hinduism? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Hopefullyamedic
Hello! Thank you for your question.

Yes I definitely think so, for others who are reading the question and this answer here's some background.

There are 108 upanishads which bring about all the philosophy in the Vedas, of which are 10-13 principle Upanishads (these are known as "principle" since they are those which Adi Shankracharya commented upon).

Of the principle Upanishads, the Mandukya Upanishad is most famous and it is had been taught in various Purana's proceeding the Upanishad's that the Mandukya is the only Upanishad needed for liberation/moksha.

Within the Mandukya, there is a description of one's identity and the Upanishad makes sense that there are four parts to one's identity. They are:

1) The state of consciousness
2) The state of dreaming
3) The state of deep sleep
4) The "turiya"

Number 4 is of great interest, and it is that soul which is God himself.
There is proof in other religions also, that God is the soul and hence Advaita Vedanta is proved to be correct.

I hope this answers the question.

Interesting. With that in mind, would you class yourself as an Advaitin?
why are indians racist against dark skin people
Original post by gjd800
Interesting. With that in mind, would you class yourself as an Advaitin?

Definitely, I believe in God and my turiya (4th aspect in your question I answered) is God himself.

It is necessary to note that without the turiya the other three states are impossible to achieve (let me know if you'd like an example to explain this).
Jai Shree Ram bro. What do you study?
Reply 10
Original post by JMR2018

Yes, there are six orthodox saddarsanas (systems) and they split into other systems again.
Reply 11
Definitely, I believe in God and my turiya (4th aspect in your question I answered) is God himself.

It is necessary to note that without the turiya the other three states are impossible to achieve (let me know if you'd like an example to explain this).

No need, I'm a scholar of Indian religion/philosophy and am very closely acquainted with Advaita in particular. Just gauging opinion :-)
Original post by JMR2018

Hello! Thank you for your question,

From the primary texts and to the level that I have read, there have been no mention of sect.

However, in Shrimad Bhagvatam, canto 1.3.21 the following is stated
"Thereafter, in the seventeeth incarnation of Godhead, Sri Vrasadeva appeared in teh womb of Satyavati through Parasara Muni and he divided the Veda into several branches and subbranches, seeing that people in general were less intelligent"

So, from this verse it can be said that the "several branches and subbranches" are divisions and further divisions within Hinduism respectively where no sect really follows a "originial path"

Surprisingly, however, the Gita states the following (Chapter 4, Verse 11)

"However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end.".

It is therefore evident from the Gita that all these paths are acceptable, so long as you have one goal, that is God.

I hope this answers your question.
Hello! Thank you for your question,

From the primary texts and to the level that I have read, there have been no mention of sect.

However, in Shrimad Bhagvatam, canto 1.3.21 the following is stated
"Thereafter, in the seventeeth incarnation of Godhead, Sri Vrasadeva appeared in teh womb of Satyavati through Parasara Muni and he divided the Veda into several branches and subbranches, seeing that people in general were less intelligent"

So, from this verse it can be said that the "several branches and subbranches" are divisions and further divisions within Hinduism respectively where no sect really follows a "originial path"

Surprisingly, however, the Gita states the following (Chapter 4, Verse 11)

"However men try to reach me, I return their love with my love; whatever path they may travel, it leads to me in the end.".

It is therefore evident from the Gita that all these paths are acceptable, so long as you have one goal, that is God.

I hope this answers your question.

Ok, one more question;
Are all gods in Hinduism a manifestation of a single God?
Original post by JMR2018
Ok, one more question;
Are all gods in Hinduism a manifestation of a single God?

Every living being is a manifestation of God, since the soul is equal to the lord himself.

Take a look at the answers above mentioning turiya such as this one:

Original post by ashjaytsr
why are Indians racist against dark skin people

I'm afraid this hasn't got anything to do with Indian religion and philosophy, but rather with culture that has developed from this philosophy.

I do believe, however, that it is inappropriate to call "Indians" as a whole racist against any group.

Hope this answers your question.
Original post by CuriousGuy777
Jai Shree Ram bro. What do you study?

Namaste, I'm 20 and study Biomedical Science. How about yourself?
Hey guys, Hinduism is quite a diverse way of life which can be confusing for many including Hindu's themselves.

Feel free to start asking questions.

what % of the Hindu youth growing up in the UK are actually religious?
Original post by jamesman13jf72
what % of the Hindu youth growing up in the UK are actually religious?

Very little from what I see, University societies and children of orthodox Hindu parents are usually the one's who are quite into religion.
It's a shame that the others don't really understand their faith; and are far from following it properly
Reply 19
Are there really 330 million gods?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending