The Student Room Group

Cambridge MPhil Management 2018-2019

Hey everyone :smile:

Canadian student here hoping to get the ball rolling on this year's thread. Haven't seen any other applicants yet but would love to chat with everyone else going through the same ~lengthy~ admissions process for this program.

Currently "under review by department" after submitting mid-November. I'm not feeling particularly confident about getting into the program, but I'm trying to remain optimistic anyhow.

Where are you guys from? Any other North American applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Heya,

International student with an undergrad from the UK. I also applied mid-November so I'm in the same boat as you and by the looks of it the process will be extended until March. I've scoured through these forums and found a lot of prospective applicants in the past that waited for months before hearing anything. So the only thing we can do is hold on tight :smile:
Reply 2
Hey all,Just submitted my application today (21 Dec), its a bit late so I hope it won't hurt my chances!

About me: I'm French but did an MEng in Civil Engineering at UCL and graduated with a First. Did my year abroad in Hong Kong. By October 2018 I will have had 1 year of work experience as a business analyst in the renewable energy sector.

I managed to talk to several alumni, current students, and the previous programme director: the course and overall Cambridge experience seem amazing!

I've been told that the admissions rate is roughly 1:10, so good luck everyone :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Heya,
Are you referring to similar programmes offered at LBS and LSE?

Personally I opted for Cambridge for the collegiate experience, the networking, and the alumni mentoring scheme (plus LBS & LSE seemed too "UCL-like" for me). Note that the similar masters at LSE is a 2-year programme as well, which is too long imo.

I also note that since you are a current student, you still didn't have a taste of the graduate consulting programme, which is seemingly the backbone/core strenght of this MPhil.

However i'm curious to know what you dislike about the programme! Is it the course content or the quality of the lecturers?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by seeyaAda
i got my offer for 2017-2018 year in May (absurd). Overall the programme is very poor compared to *2* others in UK (quality AND career prospects or recruiting) and you'll wait (most of us got offers May-July). Feel free to message me if you'd like some advice, current student here

Heya, which other *2* programmes are you referring to? I know some students that did the MPhil in Management who were complaining about the course as well. Though I've lost contact with them, I'd like to ask you what the downfalls of the course are, given that I hold an offer from LSE and will probably firm it if Cambridge doesn't come back soon-ish - waiting until May is just ridiculous.
Reply 5
Hey! Anyone heard anything yet? I've been "under review" for almost two months now and not expecting to hear back until March at the earliest due to my average GPA.
I withdrew my application on the basis of rather concerning testimonies of current students and the incredibly long wait.
Hey guys, an international student holding a UK degree here~ I applied at the beginning in Jan, so, undoubtedly, didn't hear anything back yet.
May I ask you guys whether you submitted a GRE score? Actually, I took a GMAT and Cam this year does not accept GMAT anymore, so didn't submit any extra test score. What about you guys?
Reply 8
Original post by elaineyl770
Hey guys, an international student holding a UK degree here~ I applied at the beginning in Jan, so, undoubtedly, didn't hear anything back yet.
May I ask you guys whether you submitted a GRE score? Actually, I took a GMAT and Cam this year does not accept GMAT anymore, so didn't submit any extra test score. What about you guys?

Heyya,

I personally didn't submit any test scores, and know people currently in the course that didn't submit any either. Cambridge will look at your GRE etc mostly if you don't come from a UK uni to 'judge' your level. As you hold a UK degree, I don't think you should worry about this :smile:
Original post by Cheppy
Heyya,

I personally didn't submit any test scores, and know people currently in the course that didn't submit any either. Cambridge will look at your GRE etc mostly if you don't come from a UK uni to 'judge' your level. As you hold a UK degree, I don't think you should worry about this :smile:

Hi Cheppy, thanks for the reply. What a relief hearing about this. Hopefully, both of us are lucky enough to be accepted by Cam. :biggrin:

I'm an international student studying at a reputable international school, and i didn't submit any test scores either. I think its mostly just for students who go to lesser-known schools outside the UK to prove that they are up to the challenge.
Reply 11
Hi Cheppy, thanks for the reply. What a relief hearing about this. Hopefully, both of us are lucky enough to be accepted by Cam. :biggrin:

Thanks Elaine, I hope so too! Could I ask what school you went to in the UK? Did you do a Bachelors or a Masters?
Original post by Cheppy
Thanks Elaine, I hope so too! Could I ask what school you went to in the UK? Did you do a Bachelors or a Masters?

I am doing my bachelor in university of essex
Just switched from "under review by department" to "under review by degree committee"

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

:afraid:
Original post by sydneyalena
Just switched from "under review by department" to "under review by degree committee"

WHAT DOES IT MEAN

:afraid:

wow wow! Congratulations! Sounds like a good news! It always seems to be followed by BOGs. Would you like to share your profile with us? Any GRE score or internship experience?
wow wow! Congratulations! Sounds like a good news! It always seems to be followed by BOGs. Would you like to share your profile with us? Any GRE score or internship experience?

No GRE, have only worked various part-time jobs throughout undergrad. Lots of leadership positions at school and I work as a freelance photographer / web designer / creative consultant.
Just moved to GAO today! Beyond thrilled.

Anyone else in a similar position?

Yep! Same! Now "awaiting approval by GAO"
Reply 18

Haven't received any update yet :/ but congratulations to you both for reaching the next stage! Hope you get it :smile:
Original post by QuintusLai
Yep! Same! Now "awaiting approval by GAO"

HI could you please share your profile and timeline?
Thx and Big congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending