The Student Room Group

What am I doing? Hahaha

Hey!

I am a year 13 student who is... a little lost to be honest. GYG is something I only just found and I want to do it because it seems a little bit therapeutic to just reflect on how my studies are going and I hope it'll help me to improve. Here goes!
So much of my journey has already happened but I'll try and briefly share it here.

My Predicted Grades//Exam Stuff

My UCAS predicted grades are A* A B but I am aiming for A* A* B, in Product Design, Maths and Physics respectively. Also done EPQ but it's in moderation now, aiming for A*/A.
At GCSE, I achieved 8As and 2A*s, missing out on another 3 A*s by a frustratingly small number of UMS (not to say I'm not pleased because I am!)
Grade Breakdown:

Spoiler

In my AS exams I kind of had a hectic year and screwed up my revision so I got a B in Maths (233 UMS, grr) but a strong A in Product Design. Then I got a B in Photography AS as a private candidate which I did as a hobby subject.

How Things Are Going Now

All sounds great on paper, doesn't it? Well 3 months into my A levels I moved Sixth Form and they didn't do Computer Science at my new one (which was awful because it was my favourite subject) so I had to change it to physics, but that wasn't after trying to do Comp Sci as a private candidate for 3 months... so basically I didn't start physics until March last year. I know. Help.

I am *freaking out* right now because Physics is not at all going well. We've had teacher issues and I've had general equation application issues despite feeling like I understand the concepts... I'm on a solid U and my teachers have predicted me a D. This will not stand. Turning my U into a B in 4 months? If anyone can do it, I... huh.

We have just started C4 in Maths and that's going okay, C3 goes very well at home but not so much in mocks, I'm starting Solomon Papers and timing my official exam papers to try and resolve that. M1 is going okay too, I'm not worried about that because we'll have so much revision time. Well, I'm a little worried... but when I can stay awake in class it isn't too bad! I'm not resitting any from last year because my B was a high B so I can pull up the average to get the A* if I get the 90 UMS in C3 and C4 and then around 80 in M1.

Product Design is coming along fairly nicely, I'm currently making my prototype product which isn't really going smoothly to be honest with you, but what does? I'm confident in my ability to not screw up the exam. Getting an A* in my mock helped this. The mark schemes for A2 Product Design are really weird and you can kind of blag your way through anyway so as long as I brush up on my theory in my revision during the heavier revision period. Product just needs you to spend a lot of time on it in my opinion.

Other Things About Me

Oh, did I mention? I'm also an enthusiastic equestrian, competing in Eventing and attempting to move up the levels. So that takes up a few hours a day. I also love to sing and play my guitar and do all other boring music stuff.

Where I Applied/Uni Applications

I have applied for Computer Science at Manchester, Birmingham, Warwick, St Andrews and for Computer Science and Physics at Keele. I've had offers from Birmingham (A*AA or AAA with A in EPQ) and Keele (BCD with B in Physics, practically an unconditional as long as I do alright in Physics?) but I'm still waiting for the others. Eeeek.

It took me a long time to decide that I would even apply for university and I didn't choose my course until a week before the deadline - I applied on the 12th Jan. Organised, huh? Hmmmmmm.

Looking forward to sharing my journey with you! I'll post my revision timetable soon. Obviously I'm starting a little earlier than some people because I am planning on competing my horses alongside doing my exams so I need to get in some early revision.

<3
(edited 6 years ago)
Me: opens one blog
Me: formatting
Original post by myteachermademe
Hey!

I am a year 13 student who is... a little lost to be honest. GYG is something I only just found and I want to do it because it seems a little bit therapeutic to just reflect on how my studies are going and I hope it'll help me to improve. Here goes!
So much of my journey has already happened but I'll try and briefly share it here.

My Predicted Grades//Exam Stuff

My UCAS predicted grades are A* A B but I am aiming for A* A* B, in Product Design, Maths and Physics respectively. Also done EPQ but it's in moderation now, aiming for A*/A.
At GCSE, I achieved 8As and 2A*s, missing out on another 3 A*s by a frustratingly small number of UMS (not to say I'm not pleased because I am!)
Grade Breakdown:

Spoiler

In my AS exams I kind of had a hectic year and screwed up my revision so I got a B in Maths (233 UMS, grr) but a strong A in Product Design. Then I got a B in Photography AS as a private candidate which I did as a hobby subject.

How Things Are Going Now

All sounds great on paper, doesn't it? Well 3 months into my A levels I moved Sixth Form and they didn't do Computer Science at my new one (which was awful because it was my favourite subject) so I had to change it to physics, but that wasn't after trying to do Comp Sci as a private candidate for 3 months... so basically I didn't start physics until March last year. I know. Help.

I am *freaking out* right now because Physics is not at all going well. We've had teacher issues and I've had general equation application issues despite feeling like I understand the concepts... I'm on a solid U and my teachers have predicted me a D. This will not stand. Turning my U into a B in 4 months? If anyone can do it, I... huh.

We have just started C4 in Maths and that's going okay, C3 goes very well at home but not so much in mocks, I'm starting Solomon Papers and timing my official exam papers to try and resolve that. M1 is going okay too, I'm not worried about that because we'll have so much revision time. Well, I'm a little worried... but when I can stay awake in class it isn't too bad! I'm not resitting any from last year because my B was a high B so I can pull up the average to get the A* if I get the 90 UMS in C3 and C4 and then around 80 in M1.

Product Design is coming along fairly nicely, I'm currently making my prototype product which isn't really going smoothly to be honest with you, but what does? I'm confident in my ability to not screw up the exam. Getting an A* in my mock helped this. The mark schemes for A2 Product Design are really weird and you can kind of blag your way through anyway so as long as I brush up on my theory in my revision during the heavier revision period. Product just needs you to spend a lot of time on it in my opinion.

Other Things About Me

Oh, did I mention? I'm also an enthusiastic equestrian, competing in Eventing and attempting to move up the levels. So that takes up a few hours a day. I also love to sing and play my guitar and do all other boring music stuff.

Where I Applied/Uni Applications

I have applied for Computer Science at Manchester, Birmingham, Warwick, St Andrews and for Computer Science and Physics at Keele. I've had offers from Birmingham (A*AA or AAA with A in EPQ) and Keele (BCD with B in Physics, practically an unconditional as long as I do alright in Physics?) but I'm still waiting for the others. Eeeek.

It took me a long time to decide that I would even apply for university and I didn't choose my course until a week before the deadline - I applied on the 12th Jan. Organised, huh? Hmmmmmm.

Looking forward to sharing my journey with you! I'll post my revision timetable soon. Obviously I'm starting a little earlier than some people because I am planning on competing my horses alongside doing my exams so I need to get in some early revision.

<3

Hi :wavey: Nice blog :h: Do you have a preferred uni? I've visited Manchester and Birmingham and they both seem like really nice unis :yep:
Thank you! Out of the two, I’ve visited Manchester but not Birmingham so I’m naturally inclined towards Manchester for the music scene and my minor familiarity however I’ll want to visit both again before I make my firm/insurance choices! (:
Update 10th Feb

Hey!
Whoa I'm actually updating this whattt?

So, after working really hard on my Physics recently we had a mock yesterday on Electric Fields (which is pretty easy imo but then again it feels like most of the topics are then I just can't do the questions) and I actually managed to pull my first C... whoaaaa. Not bad considering I'm super ill and as blundery as an elephant trying to navigate a city, I'm convinced I would've done even better if I wasn't ill. My route to an A/B is finally looking somewhat realistic? Maybe? Thanks, Physics community on YouTube!

Maths: C4 is looking up because me being the nerd I am, I actually differentiation and integration and apparently we've practically just got integration left in C4 now. M1 is nearly finished and C3 past papers are going well, though I haven't done any since my last update.

Product Design: My coursework is steadily coming along, not sure I'm going to be finished before the internal deadline though but oh well... I screwed up when I sanded the angles on a frame I'm making which is *so* annoying but once I'm past that hopefully everything should flow quite nicely?

See ya soooooon <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending