The Student Room Group

Medicine: St George’s vs Kings

So, I have two offers to do medicine at St. George’s and Kings College London. I don’t know which to put as firm and which as insurance.

Throughout my application St. George’s has been above Kings for various reasons but I hadn’t really banked on getting an offer from Kings due to its reputation, how competitive it is and my stats. Now I have to make a decision between the two and I don’t know what to do.

So any current/past students at either or not even doing medicine, what do you think? What drew you to which one? Help!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Kings has the bigger campus and is better respected, but st georges is physically connected to its hospital. Its your choice really but you get your insurance choice if you miss your firm grades so its probably good to firm kings and insure georges.
Original post by JessAntonia:)
So, I have two offers to do medicine at St. George’s and Kings College London. I don’t know which to put as firm and which as insurance.

Throughout my application St. George’s has been above Kings for various reasons but I hadn’t really banked on getting an offer from Kings due to its reputation, how competitive it is and my stats. Now I have to make a decision between the two and I don’t know what to do.

So any current/past students at either or not even doing medicine, what do you think? What drew you to which one? Help!

Sorry if this is off topic, but what r ur stats ?
Original post by lion-tiger
Sorry if this is off topic, but what r ur stats ?

Ummmm.

GCSEs: 3A* 5A 3B
A level predictions: A*AA
UKCAT: 710
BMAT: 3.9, 4.0, 3.5A
My main personal statement things were 5 months volunteering weekly in a care home, 2-3 volunteering tri-annually ish on a psychology programme, 18mnths with St John’s Ambulance, 1 week shadowing a Diabetes clinic and 1 week shadowing various anaesthetists.

Hope this helps!
Reply 4

If you prefer St George's to King's then you should firm St George's.
Original post by MR1999
If you prefer St George's to King's then you should firm St George's.

My gut is telling me St. George’s at the moment but I’ve been to an offer holders day and spoken to so many students. Whereas with kings I just saw the key areas of the campus and spoke to one student so I’m not really sure I know enough about kings at this stage to make an unbiased decision!
Reply 6
My gut is telling me St. George’s at the moment but I’ve been to an offer holders day and spoken to so many students. Whereas with kings I just saw the key areas of the campus and spoke to one student so I’m not really sure I know enough about kings at this stage to make an unbiased decision!

You like St George's and have a feeling it's right for you. However, you don't know much about King's.

So suppose you go to St George's; chances are you'll like it. Maybe you would have liked King's better, but it wouldn't matter that much as you be enjoying your time at St George's

Now suppose you went to King's; it's possible that you might not like it. However, you already know that you like St George's. So it would end up that you go to a uni you don't like and reject one that you do.

So all in all, you're better off choosing St George's rather than King's as your firm.
I'm at King's. I absolutely love it and think it's really quite perfect for me but King's too has its faults and it's definitely not for everyone. (Happy to answer specific questions but won't write a 1000 word essay before hearing what you want to know :smile:.) What do you want from your medical school? What kind of things are you interested in and hope to spend time doing outside your studies? Is psych-related stuff one of these given that you mentioned psychology?
Ummmm.

GCSEs: 3A* 5A 3B
A level predictions: A*AA
UKCAT: 710
BMAT: 3.9, 4.0, 3.5A
My main personal statement things were 5 months volunteering weekly in a care home, 2-3 volunteering tri-annually ish on a psychology programme, 18mnths with St John’s Ambulance, 1 week shadowing a Diabetes clinic and 1 week shadowing various anaesthetists.

Hope this helps!

Wow. Well done. Can I PM u?
Thank you so much everyone! I think I’m going to go back to big and have a look around and get a feel for both unis again. It seems silly to not go for kings but I do love St. George’s🤔

Latest

Trending

Trending