The Student Room Group

Drive like a girl insurance

Hello, I will be 17 next week and will be looking to purchase a car sometime in the next month. I've found a vauxhall corsa 1.6T SRI that I quite like and it comes in at £1900 for insurance with a black box from "Drive like a girl". Now, my question is does anyone have any experience with this company, eg. How strict are their black boxes.
Thanks
Don't get a black box. Especially if you need to ask about how strict they are.
Reply 2
Original post by nevershear
Don't get a black box. Especially if you need to ask about how strict they are.

Trust me if I could I would stay as far away from the things I don't agree with them but the next cheapest option is £3900 without a box
Reply 3
Original post by SB8999
Hello, I will be 17 next week and will be looking to purchase a car sometime in the next month. I've found a vauxhall corsa 1.6T SRI that I quite like and it comes in at £1900 for insurance with a black box from "Drive like a girl". Now, my question is does anyone have any experience with this company, eg. How strict are their black boxes.
Thanks

Just my advice - don't go black box and reconsider your choice of car. You are 17 years old, considering buying a 147bhp Vauxhall Corsa 1.6T SRI :K: Please think about that...

If I'm correct, this car is in insurance group 26 and road tax will be another £280! Your insurance premiums will be ridiculous. Get some NCB under you before you buy your ideal car.
Reply 4
Original post by Menrva
Just my advice - don't go black box and reconsider your choice of car. You are 17 years old, considering buying a 147bhp Vauxhall Corsa 1.6T SRI :K: Please think about that...

If I'm correct, this car is in insurance group 26 and road tax will be another £280! Your insurance premiums will be ridiculous. Get some NCB under you before you buy your ideal car.

Like I said above I can't get a policy without a black because it is a stupid price and a corsa is nowhere near my dream car, I just want a car that is fairly quick and good to drive that i can afford to insure. But thank you for the advice.
Reply 5
Original post by SB8999
Like I said above I can't get a policy without a black because it is a stupid price and a corsa is nowhere near my dream car, I just want a car that is fairly quick and good to drive that i can afford to insure. But thank you for the advice.

That's the wrong car for affordable insurance - what's the point of a car that is "fairly quick" if you can't drive it "fairly quick"??

Also, has anyone read this "drive like a girl" website? "This lets you prove you 'drive like a girl' or in other words, you drive safely" - safely, really? :laugh: @nevershear @RoyalSheepy
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SB8999

That is ridiculous, you need to get from A to B efficiently until you build up NCB and experience, nothing more. You don't need to be trying to insure a big engine Corsa (which even without the large engine, is not a cheap first car to insure at the moment). You want a car that's fairly quick yet you're opting for a black box, that's contradictory in itself; the fact you asked how strict it is, again, shows you won't last long before you're another statistic in this section complaining your policy was cancelled. It's not worth it, and you will find a lack of support for it in this section because the extra you'll pay in the long run in nonsensical fines, insurance as a cancelled policyholder and whatever else gets chucked on top will probably make up the difference than if you got a modest 90bhp low insurance group car and took out a standard full-comp.
Original post by SB8999
Thanks

Do what every other 17 year old does, and get a smaller engine. You'll probably end up writing it off with that size engine.

Original post by IWMTom
That's the wrong car for affordable insurance - what's the point of a car that is "fairly quick" if you can't drive it "fairly quick"??

Also, has anyone read this "drive like a girl" website? "This lets you prove you 'drive like a girl' or in other words, you drive safely" - safely, really? :laugh: @nevershear @RoyalSheepy

You say that, but I got a very cheap quote on a VXR :wink:

Pahahaha, I just saw that.

To 'drive like a girl' refers to a safer, smoother driving style. This is why we want everyone to be proud to ‘drive like a girl’.

How do they know girls drive "safer" and "smoother"? :/
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by nevershear
That is ridiculous, you need to get from A to B efficiently until you build up NCB and experience, nothing more. You don't need to be trying to insure a big engine Corsa (which even without the large engine, is not a cheap first car to insure at the moment). You want a car that's fairly quick yet you're opting for a black box, that's contradictory in itself; the fact you asked how strict it is, again, shows you won't last long before you're another statistic in this section complaining your policy was cancelled. It's not worth it, and you will find a lack of support for it in this section because the extra you'll pay in the long run in nonsensical fines, insurance as a cancelled policyholder and whatever else gets chucked on top will probably make up the difference than if you got a modest 90bhp low insurance group car and took out a standard full-comp.

I'm not going to be driving it stupidly but I would prefer to buy a quicker car now and keep it for a few years rather than fork out a few grand a year on to buy another car.
Original post by SB8999
I'm not going to be driving it stupidly but I would prefer to buy a quicker car now and keep it for a few years rather than fork out a few grand a year on to buy another car.

What, so you can hammer over the speed limit in a few years time instead? Your premise of "I must have a fast car" is just really, really odd as a new driver, especially when you'll be forking out a lot more if A) You don't adhere to the terms of the policy and they cancel your insurance B) They fine you relentlessly C) You smash the car.

Just buy something cheap and cheerful and then in a few years look for something better, it's not as though second-hand cars are depreciating much in value at the moment anyway. We wouldn't be telling you this if we don't see this exact type of thread end in tears for the policyholder every single week. I mean your mind is basically made up, you're going to buy the 1.6l Corsa and you're going to get a box. They're all equally horrible (most come from the same insurance parent groups or fitter) unless you're one of the few that get lucky (don't believe me, look under related discussions or just google thestudentroom black box), they're all a false economy, we wish you the best of luck.
Original post by SB8999

Would you prefer writing your car off and then forking out more money for insurance costs and a new car; or get a smaller sized engine car and then you can buy a nicer car afterwards.

You may not drive it stupidly, but you are un-experienced. Therefore the chances of you writing off a car with such a big engine is very high.
Reply 11
Ok thank you all, I guess it's back to the drawing board for now. Thanks again for the help.
Original post by SB8999
Ok thank you all, I guess it's back to the drawing board for now. Thanks again for the help.

A Corsa 1.2, or something along the lines of that, would be a perfect car for a new driver. Look at the Limited Edition range, it's a nice looking car, and plus it's in a low insurance group.
I've been with Drive Like A Girl for 2 months, so far I've barely noticed the box is there. I drive normally, sometimes briskly, and I have a 'green' rating for driving smoothness, so it's not unreasonable. It doesn't rate every drive you take, rather the average over a time period. Customer service is good.

Just hope I haven't jinxed it!
Original post by DarthRoar
I've been with Drive Like A Girl for 2 months, so far I've barely noticed the box is there. I drive normally, sometimes briskly, and I have a 'green' rating for driving smoothness, so it's not unreasonable. It doesn't rate every drive you take, rather the average over a time period. Customer service is good.

Just hope I haven't jinxed it!

But the real question is... Do you "drive like a girl"??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending