The Student Room Group

I struggle writing essays?

I am a first year university student. I currently study history. I knew that the course would be based highly on writing essays but I still chose it as it is the subject I enjoy the most. In my first semester alone I had to write 8000 words worth of coursework and 1 exam. Somehow I averaged a 2:1 which I am extremely proud of but I feel like the amount of time I spend on essays is ridiculous. I can essentially sit down for 10 hours straight attempting to write an essay and I would most likely have around 500 words. Everything I write tends to be overly criticised by me which then results in me deleting it and I tend to get nowhere. Every single piece of coursework I have had has led to me having a breakdown. I have talked to my lecturers about it and nothing they have said has helped me its a continuous repeated pattern. I have a 2000 word essay due next Friday and I am absolutely crapping it. Does anyone else struggle with essays this much too. Please give me tips
Original post by Garlicbread98
I am a first year university student. I currently study history. I knew that the course would be based highly on writing essays but I still chose it as it is the subject I enjoy the most. In my first semester alone I had to write 8000 words worth of coursework and 1 exam. Somehow I averaged a 2:1 which I am extremely proud of but I feel like the amount of time I spend on essays is ridiculous. I can essentially sit down for 10 hours straight attempting to write an essay and I would most likely have around 500 words. Everything I write tends to be overly criticised by me which then results in me deleting it and I tend to get nowhere. Every single piece of coursework I have had has led to me having a breakdown. I have talked to my lecturers about it and nothing they have said has helped me its a continuous repeated pattern. I have a 2000 word essay due next Friday and I am absolutely crapping it. Does anyone else struggle with essays this much too. Please give me tips

You seem to be doing well, so cant see the problem and you are fretting too much.

Read the question.
Understand the issues.
Do the reserach and make notes.
Make the plan and shape your argument.
Write it as 150 words introduction, 250 words conclusion and then 4x 400 word or 5x 300 word mini essays according to your plan.

Tidy it up. If you have the plan and the research then it writes itself. There are enough study books on writing essays. You just need to get more efficient, but you seem to be dong well and must have at A level?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You seem to be doing well, so cant see the problem and you are fretting too much.

Read the question.
Understand the issues.
Do the reserach and make notes.
Make the plan and shape your argument.
Write it as 150 words introduction, 250 words conclusion and then 4x 400 word or 5x 300 word mini essays according to your plan.

Tidy it up. If you have the plan and the research then it writes itself. There are enough study books on writing essays. You just need to get more efficient, but you seem to be dong well and must have at A level?

Really helpful advice im returning to study after 40 years and needed help with future essay structure , your comments has clarified it more simply than if i read a indepth book

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending