The Student Room Group

Resources for essay feedback

I'm not great at writing essays, it takes me soo long and I'm never able to get full marks and I'm not sure why. I haven't got one bit of feedback from my university or much help from my tutors etc.
I'm wondering if there are any good student resources for improving essay writing for university level essays and reports, for example to get feedback etc.
I am a psychology student if that helps.
Alternatively, is there a program that rivals Grammarly but without the crazy price??
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
The substance of it is subject-dependent, but the basics are always the same re argumentation, signposting, structure.

I have a few things that might help here, but they are mainly aimed towards phil undergrads.

Looky looky
Original post by parasyke
I'm not great at writing essays, it takes me soo long and I'm never able to get full marks and I'm not sure why. I haven't got one bit of feedback from my university or much help from my tutors etc.
I'm wondering if there are any good student resources for improving essay writing for university level essays and reports, for example to get feedback etc.
I am a psychology student if that helps.
Alternatively, is there a program that rivals Grammarly but without the crazy price??

Hello @parasyke

I hope you're well. Honestly, I would chase your tutors and ask for more in-depth feedback as that's really important for you to progress throughout university. I would also try and see if your university library has any academics who focus on essay writing & structure etc as this could really help you! And it would most likely be free :smile:

Kind regards,
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Hey there! As a fellow university student, I can totally relate to your struggles with essay writing. It can be really tough, especially when you're not getting feedback or help from your tutors. As a second year cyber security student at De Montfort University, I've found that there are many resources available to help with essay writing and improve your skills.

Firstly, check with your university to see if they offer any writing workshops or resources specifically for essay writing. As for DMU, there is always some sessions in the library regarding essay writing and citing. Additionally, you can try online resources such as LinkedIn Learning or Coursera which offer free courses on essay writing and academic writing.

As for programs that rival Grammarly, there are a few options available such as ProWritingAid and Hemingway Editor. While they may not be as well-known as Grammarly, they are more affordable (as far as I remember) and can still provide helpful feedback on your writing.

However, it is always worth checking your university’s policies regarding using such services as it might be taken as a plagiarism and therefore an academic offense.:eek:

Remember to take your time with essay writing and don't be afraid to reach out for help. Your university likely has many resources available to support you, so take advantage of them.

Best of luck with your writing and your studies!

- Ilya :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending