The Student Room Group

Another day, another discrimination story for labour

http://www.timesandstar.co.uk/news/national/article/Labour-accused-of-discrimination-over-youth-equality-conference-ecbae6cb-22f9-4c6b-a191-5764852ecad2-ds

So seemingly you are welcome unless you a white and Male , you know like the entire labour leadership then.

Scroll to see replies

That's nothing we didn't already know/expect.
Its funny really isn't it. Every day since the beginning of time, black, gay, trans, Muslim, and just about every other minority you care to mention is discriminated against. Then all of a sudden white men are discriminated against and there is outcry. Boo hoo. I wealthy white male businessmen can have an exclusive "charity" dinner that involves touching up specially hired hostesses, why shouldn't minorities hold a conference about equality?
Original post by ByEeek
Its funny really isn't it. Every day since the beginning of time, black, gay, trans, Muslim, and just about every other minority you care to mention is discriminated against. Then all of a sudden white men are discriminated against and there is outcry. Boo hoo. I wealthy white male businessmen can have an exclusive "charity" dinner that involves touching up specially hired hostesses, why shouldn't minorities hold a conference about equality?

Two wrongs don’t make a right. The presidents club wasn’t exclusively white.
Original post by Andrew97
Two wrongs don’t make a right. The presidents club wasn’t exclusively white.

No. But it was exclusively male. Agreed that it seems reasonable for an equality conference to be inclusive of all, but then I am not really sure what a white heterosexual man could bring to such a conference. I have never experienced discrimination on the basis of my genetics or appearence. Have you?
Original post by ByEeek

"Let's fight discrimination with even more discrimination!!"
Original post by ByEeek
No. But it was exclusively male. Agreed that it seems reasonable for an equality conference to be inclusive of all, but then I am not really sure what a white heterosexual man could bring to such a conference. I have never experienced discrimination on the basis of my genetics or appearence. Have you?

Men make up 70% of murder victims. Men have 3 times the suicide rate of women. Men receive no support when THEY get assaulted. Men make up 97% of industrial deaths. Men are 3.3 times more likely to receive a longer prison sentence for the same crime. Men serve 64% more prison time than females. Men graduate university less than females. Men make up 88% of the homeless population.

"(white straight) Men cannot bring anything to an equalities conferences". Get the f*ck outta here with that bulls*it.
Reply 7
Original post by HighOnGoofballs
"Let's fight discrimination with even more discrimination!!"

So sad that this is how some people approach the issue to minimize discrimination :lol:
Men make up 70% of murder victims. Men have 3 times the suicide rate of women. Men receive no support when THEY get assaulted. Men make up 97% of industrial deaths. Men are 3.3 times more likely to receive a longer prison sentence for the same crime. Men serve 64% more prison time than females. Men graduate university less than females. Men make up 88% of the homeless population.

"(white straight) Men cannot bring anything to an equalities conferences". Get the f*ck outta here with that bulls*it.

Agreed. So which is more important? Discrimination against white men, or discrimination against minorities? I would say both are equally important, but I think it fair to say that the majority of minorities have experienced some form of discrimination where as the vast majority of white men have not.

If you are going to quote statistics at me, please use absolute numbers. 97% of a small number is still a small number. 47 in 2015/16 for example.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by ByEeek

The outcry of a certain group of people being excluded simply due to race and gender is understandable, and some minorities also raised outcry for issues affecting them negatively due to their identity, and that's understandable as well, it's not like they all put up with it, like you seem to be implying..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. So which is more important? Discrimination against white men, or discrimination against minorities? I would say both are equally important, but I think it fair to say that the majority of minorities have experienced some form of discrimination where as the vast majority of white men have not.

If you are going to quote statistics at me, please use absolute numbers. 97% of a small number is still a small number. 47 in 2015/16 for example.

Why must we pick sides?

We can debate who has it worse all day long, but you seem to agree (as I've just told you), that white men don't have it all rosy dosy, and they do in fact suffer discrimination. If that is the case, then why are we excluding them from an equalities conference. They should be allowed to voice their problems - as we agree they have them.

Furthermore, judging by your logic, groups that don't have it 'as bad' as certain minorities should all be excluded, so tell me why Asians are allowed to go? Asians are doing better in the UK than any other ethnicity including white people. So why are they allowed? Asians graduate university at higher rates, have higher paying jobs, are less likely to be homeless etc. the list goes on.
(edited 6 years ago)
Why must we pick sides?

We can debate who has it worse all day long, but you seem to agree (as I've just told you), that white men don't have it all rosy dosy, and they do in fact suffer discrimination. If that is the case, then why are we excluding them from an equalities conference. They should be allowed to voice their problems - as we agree they have them.

Furthermore, judging by your logic, groups that don't have it 'as bad' as certain minorities should all be excluded, so tell me why Asians are allowed to go? Asians are doing better in the UK than any other ethnicity including white people. So why are they allowed? Asians graduate university at higher rates, have higher paying jobs, are less likely to be homeless etc. the list goes on.

I think you are over egging this. I have been to a conference today that bought teachers and business leaders together to discuss computing at school. I would suggest that musicians and artists probably wouldn't have added much to the discussion.

Same with the discrimination conference. I am thinking that someone has cried wolf over a non-issue on principal.
Original post by ByEeek
I think you are over egging this. I have been to a conference today that bought teachers and business leaders together to discuss computing at school. I would suggest that musicians and artists probably wouldn't have added much to the discussion.

Same with the discrimination conference. I am thinking that someone has cried wolf over a non-issue on principal.

How can you "over-egg" statistics? I've said my piece, we're done here.

If you honestly think that (white) men have nothing to do with equality in the same way that musicians don't have anything to do with computing, I honestly don't know what to say. I've done all I can to try and convince you, but it's clear you won't budge, so let's simply agree to disagree.
Original post by ByEeek

happens all the time, ie. ugly people do far worse in the world of work and love

Maybe if someone could come up with and foster narrative that didn' boil down to blaming all men's problems on feminism and the increase in representation of ethnic minorities then we might have ome chance of fixing some of those problems.
Original post by mojojojo101
Maybe if someone could come up with and foster narrative that didn' boil down to blaming all men's problems on feminism and the increase in representation of ethnic minorities then we might have ome chance of fixing some of those problems.

You do realise there are hundreds, if not thousands of cases when men have tried to take initiative and hold conferences of their problems but militant feminists pull fire alarm, or protest and eventually shut these meaningful conferences or meetings down.

Furthermore, when feminists perpetuate **** like male privlege, toxic masculinity, mansplaining and manspreading, then it's hard for any pro-male organisation to take stance without getting labeled as sexist or bigoted.
Original post by ByEeek

97% is a small number. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
97% is a small number. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

97% by itself is meaningless. For example, if the chance of getting a certain type of cancer is 1 in a million but a lifestyle choice increases your chance of getting that type of cancer by 100% your chance of getting cancer is still only 2 in a million. I.e negligable.

97% of a small number is still a small number.
Original post by mojojojo101

He didn’t mention feminists in his comment.

On the 97%, it doesn’t matter what it is 97% of. It’s still a large proportion.
You do realise there are hundreds, if not thousands of cases when men have tried to take initiative and hold conferences of their problems but militant feminists pull fire alarm, or protest and eventually shut these meaningful conferences or meetings down.

Furthermore, when feminists perpetuate **** like male privlege, toxic masculinity, mansplaining and manspreading, then it's hard for any pro-male organisation to take stance without getting labeled as sexist or bigoted.

Example?

He didn’t mention feminists in his comment.

On the 97%, it doesn’t matter what it is 97% of. It’s still a large proportion.

And yet, in his very next comment, that is exactly what he does.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending