The Student Room Group

I got my first car is it any good?

I'm 17 have recently got a 2016 BMW 116D M Sport for my first car, is it any good for a first car? The insurance quote that i have got on it with a black box is £1800. I have my driving test soon so hopefully i'll be able to drive soon.

c23bc47c-86c5-4d2f-a2d8-d4d72c0c2a4c.JPG
Attachment not found

Scroll to see replies

it looks very nice.

:auto:
What do you want me to say?

Have a medal? It's ****?

As far as I'm concerned it's just another over-priced, over-hyped german mass production car that people buy to just seem cooler than they really ought to.

A car is a car these days; unless it does something exceptional, or has features that make it worth someone's time over just a mere runnabout it's a load of ****.

Get a classic car and then we'll talk
Original post by Jack210
I'm 17 have recently got a 2016 BMW 116D M Sport for my first car, is it any good for a first car? The insurance quote that i have got on it with a black box is £1800. I have my driving test soon so hopefully i'll be able to drive soon.

Attachment not found

Jack of all trades. 😁

It is incredibly nice though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Jack210

Attachment not found

Pretty nice car for a first time driver, is that insurance quote as a provisional or with a full license though?
Reply 5
It's with a provisional license, but when i filled in the details, i filled it in as if i hold a full license, i didn't put my license number in
(edited 6 years ago)
why waste a decent car with a black box :frown:
Reply 7
it's average. i had a porsche when i was your age
Original post by Jack210
It's with a provisional license

Run a quote with a full license and I promise you it'll look a lot different
Reply 9
Original post by TheConfusedMedic
why waste a decent car with a black box :frown:

I'm going to keep the car for 3-4 years and i'll have a black box only for the first year
Reply 10
Basically i ran the qoute as follows:

Policy holder will be my mum who drives another car and has 3 years no claim discount.

I will be additional driver ~ i said that i hold a full license for under a month even though i have not passed yet (i did this to see how much it'll cost once i have passed)

I will also be the main driver
Original post by Jack210

Attachment not found

tbh that is a silly first car i can see that car appearing on autotrader marked class c when someone has gone it you or you have gone into someone then all that money has gone down the drain
Original post by Jack210
Basically i ran the qoute as follows:

Policy holder will be my mum who drives another car and has 3 years no claim discount.

I will be additional driver ~ i said that i hold a full license for under a month even though i have not passed yet (i did this to see how much it'll cost once i have passed)

I will also be the main driver

How can you be both the main driver and an additional driver? If your mother is the main driver it's called fronting and it's illegal, not to mention would completely invalidate your insurance if you got into an accident
Reply 13
Original post by damn daniel yeah
tbh that is a silly first car i can see that car appearing on autotrader marked class c when someone has gone it you or you have gone into someone then all that money has gone down the drain

I didn't get it on autotrader, i'm confused as to what you're trying to say?
My cousins are in the car business so i got the car pretty cheap as to what it would normally cost
I wouldn't have such a flashy car myself if I was your age, as the chances of crashing in the 1st year of driving is 1 in 5. But it certainly is a nice car.

Can I ask, why you didn't just go for a car every 17 year old goes for, such as a, cheaper to insure, Corsa or Fiesta?
Original post by Jack210
My cousins are in the car business so i got the car pretty cheap as to what it would normally cost

im saying a teenage having that is asking for an accident
Original post by Jack210

He's trying to say you will wreck it and it'll end up being sold as scrap...
Reply 17
The policy will be on my mother's name and i will be the additional driver on the policy and the website that i got my quote on asked who will be the main driver out of me and my mum, i selected my name and the insurance came to 1800
Reply 18
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I wouldn't have such a flashy car myself if I was your age, as the chances of crashing in the 1st year of driving is 1 in 5. But it certainly is a nice car.

Can I ask, why you didn't just go for a car every 17 year old goes for, such as a, cheaper to insure, Corsa or Fiesta?

It was a gift from my mum, and i realise the chances of crashing are high, but hopefully i'll drive it sensibly and safely and will be able to avoid a crash
Reply 19
Original post by damn daniel yeah
im saying a teenage having that is asking for an accident

Oh i see, hopefully i won't crash, I'm going to very careful in the way i drive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending