The Student Room Group

Emailed a potential supervisor with incorrect research proposal

Hi,
Just wanted some advice. I'm currently applying to a certain university to do a PhD but I thought I'd contact a potential co-supervisor in a different department beforehand. He didn't reply and I've realised that I emailed him an amended research proposal that had details of a previous university that I also applied to (if that makes sense). I don't know whether to email him again and make reference to the error or just pretend it never happened. I'd like to think that if I received it, I'd see the funny side and reply pointing it out (after all, we're all human and juggling a lot of responsibilities) but maybe it irked his ego or something :smile: . Any thoughts?
Original post by jimjams3
Hi,
Just wanted some advice. I'm currently applying to a certain university to do a PhD but I thought I'd contact a potential co-supervisor in a different department beforehand. He didn't reply and I've realised that I emailed him an amended research proposal that had details of a previous university that I also applied to (if that makes sense). I don't know whether to email him again and make reference to the error or just pretend it never happened. I'd like to think that if I received it, I'd see the funny side and reply pointing it out (after all, we're all human and juggling a lot of responsibilities) but maybe it irked his ego or something :smile: . Any thoughts?

How much do you want to work with him? Academics are very busy and most may not even read things they don't have the time for. If you are emailing someone for the first time and have made what I would consider quite a big error they may think that you aren't really serious and are just a waste of time unfortunately. I would chalk it up to a learning experience and move on but if you are still keen yes email apologising and see where you get to.
This reply is quite late, but I emailed a wrong version of my proposal (an important text box had vanished when I had exported it to word.) I just emailed another one apologising, and this was to like 6 academics! Its very informal, reaching out to potential supervisors so I wouldn't worry too much - some people just email with extremely vague ideas - but I was really upset at the time. When it came to the application I also accidentally submitted a reference where the referee had included the name of another uni I was applying to! Again, I emailed an amended one to the admissions apologising. I still got offered a place there - after all they know you will be applying to other unis.

Hope this makes you feel better!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending