The Student Room Group

Econ: Birmingham vs Leicester vs Essex vs Brunel vs Birkbeck?

Hi

I'm a student from the Middle East and have got conditional offers for Economics from:

Birmingham (Dubai campus)
Leicester
Essex
Brunel &
Birkbeck

Any advice on the hierarchy of choice you'd go for provided all conditions were fulfilled? Confused.
Original post by Stev123
Hi

I'm a student from the Middle East and have got conditional offers for Economics from:

Leicester
Essex
Brunel &
Birkbeck

Any advice on the hierarchy of choice you'd go for provided all conditions were fulfilled? Confused.

If you care about rankings, Birmingham rates highest from all these for Economics.
Reply 2
Thankyou. What would be your choice for Econ between 1)Leicester and Essex & 2)Brunel and Birkbeck
Original post by Stev123
Thankyou. What would be your choice for Econ between 1)Leicester and Essex & 2)Brunel and Birkbeck

I'm not the best person to ask. Depends what you're looking for.
Reply 4
That's okay. Thanks anyhow.
Reply 5
Original post by Stev123
Hi

Leicester
Essex
Brunel &
Birkbeck

In the order you’ve put it ~ in terms of rankings is the best choice.

If you have the grades, put down birmingham.

Essex campus is nice too.
Reply 6
Original post by MKaur18
In the order you’ve put it ~ in terms of rankings is the best choice.

If you have the grades, put down birmingham.

Essex campus is nice too.

Yeah, I do have the points required for Birmingham, atleast as far as my predicted grades go. It's the same for both campuses- UK and Dubai. My having taken Math Studies was a huge hurdle in applying for Econ to some better ranked unis. So, well.

You'd go by the order of unis I'd put down, eh? Thankyou so much.
In terms of quality of education and rep

Essex > Birmingham > Birkbeck/Leicester > Brunel

Ultimately Birmingham is slightly more recognised since it's part of the Russel group but looking at the courses you'll get a better quality of education from Essex as the researchers there tend to be better (see repec )

There are more people working in economic consultancies from Essex than Bham and there's more people with degrees at the best universities who've worked at Essex than Bham and/or studied there
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by The Assassin

Ultimately Birmingham is slightly more recognised since it's part of the Russel group but looking at the courses you'll get a better quality of education from Essex as the researchers there tend to be better (see repec )

There are more people working in economic consultancies from Essex than Bham and there's more people with degrees at the best universities who've worked at Essex than Bham and/or studied there

I see... quality of education and where that gets one to later does matter ultimately.

And you'd club Birkbeck and Leicester together, eh?

Thankyou for the input!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Stev123
Yeah, I do have the points required for Birmingham, atleast as far as my predicted grades go. It's the same for both campuses- UK and Dubai. My having taken Math Studies was a huge hurdle in applying for Econ to some better ranked unis. So, well.

You'd go by the order of unis I'd put down, eh? Thankyou so much.

Yes. You’ll be fine then if you have got the grades.
Reply 10
Original post by The Assassin

Is there anybody else here who would agree that Essex would be a better choice than Leicester for Economics?

Original post by MKaur18
Yes. You’ll be fine then if you have got the grades.
Thanks. Still considering :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending