The Student Room Group

2 summer internships or a Year in Industry?

I am currently trying to decide which is better: doing a 2nd summer internship with a large company that’s more relevant to my dream company or a Year in Industry with a smaller or less relevant company?
Original post by Theengineer101
I am currently trying to decide which is better: doing a 2nd summer internship with a large company that’s more relevant to my dream company or a Year in Industry with a smaller or less relevant company?

Could you do both? But if not, then the experience with the company that's more relevant to what you want to do would generally be "better".
Original post by Smack
Could you do both? But if not, then the experience with the company that's more relevant to what you want to do would generally be "better".

I could do both, but I am contemplating whether working for a year in a company that I can’t see myself working for in the future is a good idea. Also, that would mean graduating a year later. But on the other hand, I am not sure if employers regard summer internships as high as a Year in Industry.
I could do both, but I am contemplating whether working for a year in a company that I can’t see myself working for in the future is a good idea. Also, that would mean graduating a year later. But on the other hand, I am not sure if employers regard summer internships as high as a Year in Industry.

There are pros and cons to each and it's clear you've put some thought into them. Even though the year in industry would definitely be good experience, if you really don't want to work for that company it might not be the best idea to undertake it. Do you have offers?
Original post by Smack
There are pros and cons to each and it's clear you've put some thought into them. Even though the year in industry would definitely be good experience, if you really don't want to work for that company it might not be the best idea to undertake it. Do you have offers?

For the summer internship, it’s with the same company that I worked for last summer so they are happy for me to come back again. For the Year in Industry, no offers yet.
For the summer internship, it’s with the same company that I worked for last summer so they are happy for me to come back again. For the Year in Industry, no offers yet.

Probably wouldn't really do any harm in sticking with this company then if you don't want to do a year in industry or graduate a year later.

Is your "dream" company one that is extremely competitive?
Original post by Smack
Probably wouldn't really do any harm in sticking with this company then if you don't want to do a year in industry or graduate a year later.

Is your "dream" company one that is extremely competitive?

Yes, it is actually. I made it through to the assessment centre stage for a placement year with them but haven’t heard back from them since then.
Yes, it is actually. I made it through to the assessment centre stage for a placement year with them but haven’t heard back from them since then.

So the year in industry is with your dream company? If so, you should certainly take it if offered.
Original post by Smack
So the year in industry is with your dream company? If so, you should certainly take it if offered.

No, I went to the assessment centre and was told I’ll be informed about the outcome within 2 weeks but it has been almost 4 weeks now so I assume I got rejected but they just didn’t tell me. And at the moment, I don’t really have any back-ups for a Year in Industry.
Reply 9
I chose multiple summer internships over a year in industry and used the year I saved (from not doing the year in industry) to do my masters and I also have worked in 2 part time internships relevant to my degree boosting me to more experience than I would have from just the year in industry as well as having the time to take an MSc, I felt this was better for me ut there are loads of advantages to doing the full year out too, like you would be able to get more settled and maybe get chance to work on a variety of projects or take on more responsibility.
Original post by yt7777
I chose multiple summer internships over a year in industry and used the year I saved (from not doing the year in industry) to do my masters and I also have worked in 2 part time internships relevant to my degree boosting me to more experience than I would have from just the year in industry as well as having the time to take an MSc, I felt this was better for me ut there are loads of advantages to doing the full year out too, like you would be able to get more settled and maybe get chance to work on a variety of projects or take on more responsibility.

Based on your experiences, which would you say is the better choice? Also keep in mind I am interning for the same company I worked for last summer so I won’t really need time to settle in
Reply 11
Based on your experiences, which would you say is the better choice? Also keep in mind I am interning for the same company I worked for last summer so I won’t really need time to settle in

It depends really, for me personally I wanted to only do 4 years (either year in industry or masters) byt doing summer and part time internships I was able to essentially do both still within 4 years, thats was my reason. If I didnt want to do a masters i wouldv'e done the year in industry.
No, I went to the assessment centre and was told I’ll be informed about the outcome within 2 weeks but it has been almost 4 weeks now so I assume I got rejected but they just didn’t tell me. And at the moment, I don’t really have any back-ups for a Year in Industry.

It might be a good idea to contact them to see where you stand.

Ultimately, regarding a year in industry or the summer placements, it could just come down to whatever you get offered. Either are good options. It's not just about the total number of days/weeks/months of experience, how relevant it it is also worth considering.

Quick Reply

Latest