The Student Room Group

Some questions about Economics at Cambridge

I am an offer-holder for Economics at Cambridge 2018 entry. As much as I am ridiculously humbled to have received this offer, and I love the subject, I've recently grown towards pure maths and statistics. Particularly I am interested in advanced calculus (stochastic, ito etc) and learning about probability in a theoretical way (Markov, Kolgomarov etc). I've also started coding and would love to learn more about this.Is there any way I can increase the maths content in my degree beyond choosing the second year maths and stats module? Would it be possible to change subjects to Maths if I took the STEP (I have been preparing for STEP for fun and am predicted highly in Maths and FM, and do Physics A level). Any ideas??
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by gozzabomb
I am an offer-holder for Economics at Cambridge 2018 entry. As much as I am ridiculously humbled to have received this offer, and I love the subject, I've recently grown towards pure maths and statistics. Particularly I am interested in advanced calculus (stochastic, ito etc) and learning about probability in a theoretical way (Markov, Kolgomarov etc). I've also started coding and would love to learn more about this.Is there any way I can increase the maths content in my degree beyond choosing the second year maths and stats module? Would it be possible to change subjects to Maths if I took the STEP (I have been preparing for STEP for fun and am predicted highly in Maths and FM, and do Physics A level). Any ideas??

Best to ask your college, they are the only ones who can really comment.

However I note one person changed Tripos from Economics to Maths in 2015/16. This may have been after completing Part I Economics.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/462558/response/1118600/attach/2/FOI%202018%2087%20James%20Hart%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Reply 2
Original post by Doonesbury
Best to ask your college, they are the only ones who can really comment.

However I note one person changed Tripos from Economics to Maths in 2015/16. This may have been after completing Part I Economics.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/462558/response/1118600/attach/2/FOI%202018%2087%20James%20Hart%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Do you think I should wait until (hopefully) meeting the offer or enquire now? Scared of having an offer redacted or something! (Already firmed)
Do you think I should wait until (hopefully) meeting the offer or enquire now? Scared of having an offer redacted or something! (Already firmed)

Are you very adamant about switching to maths or are you iffy about it and is interested in economics as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by wolfmoon88
Are you very adamant about switching to maths or are you iffy about it and is interested in economics as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am heavily interested in both. Currently reading a book on real analysis of calculus, and some probability theory. My only put off from maths is the supposed difficulty but this is something I would be up for!

I am also v interested in Physics too. Of course, economics is also a genuine interest.

If only there was a liberal arts programme at Cambridge...
I am heavily interested in both. Currently reading a book on real analysis of calculus, and some probability theory. My only put off from maths is the supposed difficulty but this is something I would be up for!

I am also v interested in Physics too. Of course, economics is also a genuine interest.

Honestly, like Doonesbury said; I would just ask the college about it and detail your heavy interest in both subjects. Learning happens outside the classroom too which you do know so even if you do not "study" those subjects on an official level; I am sure that you can pop in to a couple of lectures; and that you can talk to some of the professors/tutors/lecturers in open hours about questions you may have that you've encountered in your own time. I am sure that they would be willing to talk to interested students about their subject field even if you aren't studying the course officially :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Sooner rather than later is best. It won't compromise your offer to ask the question.

If there was you'd probably be examined on some topics that you have little or no interest in.

The Tripos system does offer *some* flexibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
I think they'd let you change course to Maths if you get a 1,1 in STEP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending