The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Application

My son applied to Exeter for Economics in November and has still not had a reply. I expect it will be a rejection but why take so long? This is stopping him making his final choices and applying for accommodation! The same thing happened to my older son a few years ago and Exeter sent him a rejection on the last possible day. Really not good enough to mess young people about like this.
The deadline for sending out offers/rejections is in May and students have plenty of time after that to make their final choices and apply for accommodation. There's really no need to worry about it until he's heard back from all the places where he's applied.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by howitoughttobe
The deadline for sending out offers/rejections is in May and students have plenty of time after that to make their final choices and apply for accommodation. There's really no need to worry about it until he's heard back from all the places where he's applied.

I know that. This is my 3rd child applying to uni but why is Exeter the one to keep them waiting? Surely 4 months is long enough for them to make a decision? Potentially he could have to wait another 2 months. Actually some universities start allocating accommodation on a first come, first served basis (to firm choice applicants), so it can be a problem. We are a low income family so its crucial that he gets accommodation he can afford! I just feel it's unnecessary and bad practice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by fkcigclrc
I know that. This is my 3rd child applying to uni but why is Exeter the one to keep them waiting? Surely 4 months is long enough for them to make a decision? Potentially he could have to wait another 2 months. Actually some universities start allocating accommodation on a first come, first served basis (to firm choice applicants), so it can be a problem. We are a low income family so its crucial that he gets accommodation he can afford! I just feel it unnecessary and bad practice.

Universities have a deadline which they have to send out offers/rejections for, it is the same for all universities and they're not obliged to send them out beforehand. Universities don't allocate accommodation until after results day, how can they when they don't know which students will make the grades? I understand that it's stressful but you need to calm down and stop panicking. There's plenty of time to get everything sorted and if you're a low income family then your son will get a huge maintenance loan and will be able to afford more than most people. But if you're still worried just tell the university and they'll move him to a cheaper accommodation.
Reply 4
Original post by howitoughttobe
Universities have a deadline which they have to send out offers/rejections for, it is the same for all universities and they're not obliged to send them out beforehand. Universities don't allocate accommodation until after results day, how can they when they don't know which students will make the grades? I understand that it's stressful but you need to calm down and stop panicking. There's plenty of time to get everything sorted and if you're a low income family then your son will get a huge maintenance loan and will be able to afford more than most people. But if you're still worried just tell the university and they'll move him to a cheaper accommodation.

I think you are missing the point! I am not panicking! I am just making a point that I am not impressed with Exeter taking such a long time to make a decision. As I said this is my 3rd child so out of all the choices of all three, Exeter are the only one that have needed months to make a decision! My son has done his bit by getting his application in early. Surely the May deadline allows for later applicants. Actually the 'huge' maintenance loan is difficult to live on if you are paying top rates for accommodation, in some cases it would leave him with £2000 to pay for everything for the year after self-catered accommodation costs. Not that huge is it? I contribute by providing a home and food for the 20+ weeks a year when they are not at university. Some universities do allocate accommodation now. If you don't get the grades they reallocate it. Most are taking applications already. There is no set pattern to how they allocate accommodation.
Original post by fkcigclrc
I think you are missing the point! I am not panicking! I am just making a point that I am not impressed with Exeter taking such a long time to make a decision. As I said this is my 3rd child so out of all the choices of all three, Exeter are the only one that have needed months to make a decision! My son has done his bit by getting his application in early. Surely the May deadline allows for later applicants. Actually the 'huge' maintenance loan is difficult to live on if you are paying top rates for accommodation, in some cases it would leave him with £2000 to pay for everything for the year after self-catered accommodation costs. Not that huge is it? I contribute by providing a home and food for the 20+ weeks a year when they are not at university. Some universities do allocate accommodation now. If you don't get the grades they reallocate it. Most are taking applications already. There is no set pattern to how they allocate accommodation.

Maybe they're considering each application carefully or maybe they're unsure about your son's application so they're taking longer to decide. Whatever the reason there's plenty of time left to apply for accommodation and you can appeal the decision if you don't get the one you want. Plus £2000 is just over £60 per week which is plenty to live off if you're sensible and budget properly. Plus people on low income can get bursaries and other financial help from the university. I know someone who didn't even bother taking out a maintenance loan because the money he got from the maintenance grant and the university bursary was more than enough to live off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending