The Student Room Group

Who's responsible for carrying protection?

Lots of people say men should carry condoms or girls should always have the pill...but who should have protection and who's responsible? or is it both ppl?

Scroll to see replies

BOTH.

Always. Both.

If you're on the pill: use a condom. STIs don't give a damn whether you're on the pill or not.

Girls, he might not have one. Take a condom. Gents, she probably doesn't have one. Take a condom.

Gay? Take a condom. Take lube.

Lesbian... Well I don't know how the mechanics of that work. You're probably fine.

Better to have too much than too little on hand, wouldn't you say?
Reply 2
Of course you're both meant to be rationale adults with respect to taking precautions. Doesn't always work out that way mind. Girls tend to have more to loose, left holding the baby though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Both. I wouldn't personally rely on a guy to have protection.
Original post by BlameMichaelGove
BOTH.

Always. Both.

If you're on the pill: use a condom. STIs don't give a damn whether you're on the pill or not.

Girls, he might not have one. Take a condom. Gents, she probably doesn't have one. Take a condom.

Gay? Take a condom. Take lube.

Lesbian... Well I don't know how the mechanics of that work. You're probably fine.

😂👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Use protective measures if you don't want to get something nasty or pregnant. Don't depend on the other person.
Reply 6
Both. Nothing stopping a woman keeping a condom in her bag or a guy saying "actually I'd rather be extra safe" and gloving up when a woman says she's on the pill. If you're both doing the thing, you both have a responsibility to make sure it goes as planned and there are no surprises. After all it's yourselves you're screwing over if something does happen. And even if you don't have the right stuff with you you can al least have the brains to pause and decide to pop to a shop and grab it before getting down to business. It's really not that hard to double check there's a slimy sheet of rubber between your jigsaw pieces before finishing the puzzle.
Just like anything else, if you know there is a potential issue and you don't do anything to prevent it you're kinda just an idiot.
Reply 7
Both. NEVER EVER solely rely on the other to be responsible... otherwise suffer the consequences and don't complain when you have a baby on the way
Reply 8

It's a big myth that lesbians don't need protection to practice safe sex. Any skin to skin contact can spread stds. Sharing toys can spread them too. Use dental dams, condoms, gloves etc. unless you're 100% sure that you and your partner are both clean.
Original post by Pantsu
It's a big myth that lesbians don't need protection to practice safe sex. Any skin to skin contact can spread stds. Sharing toys can spread them too. Use dental dams, condoms, gloves etc. unless you're 100% sure that you and your partner are both clean.

Thank you for clarifying! It's something I can safely say I have zero knowledge of.
Reply 10
Unprotected sex is riskier for a female than a male, there is more chance of a female catching an std through hetrosexual sex than a male, also the female runs the risk of pregnancy from engaging in unprotected sex

therefore if the female has any sense she should not leave protection/contraception up to the male ...as in many cases he won't be taking things as seriously as the female because he has lower risks.....
whose, and both
*Whose. "Who's" is an abbreviated form of "who is".
There's absolutely no reason for both men, and women, to keep (in date) condoms, and in my opinion, lube, in their bedrooms at all times. But I wouldn't expect either to carry condoms on them during a night out. Unless they were on a promise, or actively, purposely, on the look out for pulling some random.

Plus if you carry around loads of connies you look like a top shagger innit :biggrin:
Both.

I've been on the pill for years and I've also condoms in my dresser that are about to expire. Luckily the men I've been with have been prepared so none have actually been used. But I will still replace them anyway simply because it feels irresponsible not to have any.
Original post by ClairTCSweeny
Lots of people say men should carry condoms or girls should always have the pill...but who should have protection and who's responsible? or is it both ppl?

Both. No one person is responsible.
Both. I don't think you should be having sex if your not responsible enough to protect yourself.
Men need to carry condoms. There are to many devious feminist women who will lie about being on birth control to deceive you into fathering their child and then own you.
Original post by ClairTCSweeny

I'd say both. Your own sexual health is your responsibility and I know lots of guys who don't carry condoms. I made a point to have my own stash in uni and when my implant expired a month before I could get an appointment I bought a box of condoms for my fiance and I to use. I had a friend who always said she was too embarrassed to buy condoms so I bought them for her. Lots of girls would tell me its the mans responsibility but I wasn't prepared to take the risk of getting into a situation only to find he didn't have anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending