The Student Room Group

EPQ help - Cancer

So I am writing my EPQ and my teacher is adimant that it has to be a comparison and that I must compare two sides and shouldn’t bother to go into too much detail about the biological and medical understanding as it is unnecessary. I am looking at using CRISPR which is a gene editing technique to treat Non small cell lung cancer. Does anyone have any idea what my question could be :smile: Thanks
Original post by Sam_C_
So I am writing my EPQ and my teacher is adimant that it has to be a comparison and that I must compare two sides and shouldn’t bother to go into too much detail about the biological and medical understanding as it is unnecessary. I am looking at using CRISPR which is a gene editing technique to treat Non small cell lung cancer. Does anyone have any idea what my question could be :smile: Thanks

Not sure it has to be a comparison (until you know the title or have settled on approach) , but it should have some analysis with possible pros and cons. You are looking for an area of contention and evaluation. Where is the debate on this technique? What are the questions people want answered and what are your views?

I think you can use some medical and biological explanation, but no need to go overboard and if someone wants more detail they can get a textbook.

Before you pick the title do research so you are up to speed and jot down ideas of angles you can attack the subject at.

How promising? How effective? How efficient? Benefits and drawbacks?
You could compare against existing methods and approaches.

When I knew more then I would test the possible titles or ideas that research had generated and write some detailed plans. I would go with the best one.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Not sure it has to be a comparison (until you know the title or have settled on approach) , but it should have some analysis with possible pros and cons. You are looking for an area of contention and evaluation. Where is the debate on this technique? What are the questions people want answered and what are your views?

I think you can use some medical and biological explanation, but no need to go overboard and if someone wants more detail they can get a textbook.

Before you pick the title do research so you are up to speed and jot down ideas of angles you can attack the subject at.

How promising? How effective? How efficient? Benefits and drawbacks?
You could compare against existing methods and approaches.

When I knew more then I would test the possible titles or ideas that research had generated and write some detailed plans. I would go with the best one.

Thank you so much! You really sound like you know what you’re talking about :smile: That’s really helpful to know where I should go from where I am at right now :smile: Thanks!
Original post by Sam_C_
Thank you so much! You really sound like you know what you’re talking about :smile: That’s really helpful to know where I should go from where I am at right now :smile: Thanks!

You can also read mark schemes/ feedback reports on epq to get an idea of the examiners experience.

I get what your teacher is saying. It cant afford to be two dimensional and just a description as that is not what they are interested in. They want original work from you and to know what you think and how you reached your conclusions.

What they want is for you to have used your skills to:
Research.
Identify material.
Structure an investigation. Detailed essay plan.
Analyse the issues.
Place it in context.
Evaluate with intelligent personal views based on your research and new knowledge.

You need to get the technical things right.
Reference it.
Proof it.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
You can also read mark schemes/ feedback reports on epq to get an idea of the examiners experience.

I get what your teacher is saying. It cant afford to be two dimensional and just a description as that is not what they are interested in. They want original work from you and to know what you think and how you reached your conclusions.

What they want is for you to have used your skills to:
Research.
Identify material.
Structure an investigation. Detailed essay plan.
Analyse the issues.
Place it in context.
Evaluate with intelligent personal views based on your research and new knowledge.

You need to get the technical things right.
Reference it.
Proof it.

Thanks :smile: It is useful to have all the info as to what they am looking for
Original post by Sam_C_
Thanks :smile: It is useful to have all the info as to what they am looking for

Read the mark schemes and you will get a feel for what they look for.
Once you start to jot down ideas, then you can form a plan which gives you direction and confidence. GL.

Quick Reply

Latest