The Student Room Group

Will unis see my family issue as an extenuating circumstance when reapplying?

I sat my A-levels this year and received ACC in English lit, biology and chemistry respectively (and an A in my EPQ). I was predicted a lot higher and I thought I did well enough to get at least ABB so I've decided to take a gap year and resit chemistry and remark biology as I only need 1 more mark to get a B. The weekend before I sat 2 chemistry exams and 1 biology exam I found out that my grandma was diagnosed with cancer and only has a few months left to live, which left me very upset and shaken and I feel like that really impacted my performance in those exams. Would I be able to relay this to universities when applying to give some context as to why I'm resitting, especially for unis that view resitting A-levels negatively?
Reply 1
Most Unis are happy to accept resits - but check this with each of your intended Unis.
Only if they 'wont accept' resits do you then need to tell them anything formally about any mitigating circumstances.

Ask you school to add a comment to your UCAS reference about what happened this year - ie. 'we expected him to get xxx grades but a family bereavement days before the exams meant that......' etc - this is useful to all Unis just for 'context' even if they have no issue with resits.

What subject at Uni are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Most Unis are happy to accept resits - but check this with each of your intended Unis.
Only if they 'wont accept' resits do you then need to tell them anything formally about any mitigating circumstances.

Ask you school to add a comment to your UCAS reference about what happened this year - ie. 'we expected him to get xxx grades but a family bereavement days before the exams meant that......' etc - this is useful to all Unis just for 'context' even if they have no issue with resits.

What subject at Uni are you applying for?

Tysm that helps a lot- I'll make sure my referee mentions it in my reference. I'm hoping to apply for a foundation year in chemical engineering
Original post by mxyz1010
Tysm that helps a lot- I'll make sure my referee mentions it in my reference. I'm hoping to apply for a foundation year in chemical engineering

I dont think you need a foundation course as long as you have Maths. I have just checked and Swansea still have vacancies. I suspect they would take you with your grades. There will no doubt be others if you ring them up. Most RG have closed for clearing but there are others who havent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending