The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster 2018 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bfgg123
i hope that you're allowed to drop

I spoke to mr grant and nobody is allowed to drop unless they are predicted 4Cs>
Original post by fiddletrio
I spoke to mr grant and nobody is allowed to drop unless they are predicted 4Cs>

How do they calculate the predictions? Are they from GCSE grades?
Original post by _Montreal1907-
Hey guys!
I've been offered a place at Harris Westminster, but I have a slight dilemma. I was originally going to study English Literature, History, Economics, and Government and politics, however now that I've got the chance to change a subject i think i want to switch Government & Politics with Philosophy. The only worry i have is that I'll be studying two pre-U subjects (which is apparently very difficult) as well as doing history and economics (difficult even at GCSE!). I don't want to misinterpret how much work I'm willing to do and then ruin my A-level grades, so any suggestions?

Government and politics is not a pre-u. Here' a link to the course guide:
http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/uploads/asset_file/3_357_2018-hwsf-course-guide.pdf

so happy we aren't doing mei maths
Reply 143
Original post by bfgg123
omg i applied to twyford too and got in. i will also be doing history and maths and economics and english literature, i hope to do law and go to perhaps LSE, dont really have interests, i got 574. idek if i should go harris westminister because i dont want to do 4 a levels, 3 a levels are enough and i think it is extra pressure

Sameeeee - I’ll probably end up not going to Harris because of the whole 4 A Levels and Saturday school in year 13 etc. But idk it all depends on results day . Are u going to the meeting thing on Wednesday for Twyford ?
Anyone here apply to holland park?
Reply 145
Original post by tedgfbtebfetedfb
Anyone here apply to holland park?

I did
Original post by Ihatelife2
They're getting rid of Saturday school...

For Year 12; they're making it infrequent for Year 13s, apparently.
Original post by Ihatelife2
hopefully they get rid of it permanently

Honestly I really don't mind it being infrequent in Year 13. These Pre-Us seem really hard, so we're gonna need all the help we can get. Besides, what would you rather do on a Saturday, apart from sleeping, eating and existing? Lol
Original post by Xhess
Sameeeee - I’ll probably end up not going to Harris because of the whole 4 A Levels and Saturday school in year 13 etc. But idk it all depends on results day . Are u going to the meeting thing on Wednesday for Twyford ?

yh im going. idek the more i think about it, harris westminster seems like the right choice, i just hope they dont put too much pressure on the students.
Original post by bfgg123
yh im going. idek the more i think about it, harris westminster seems like the right choice, i just hope they dont put too much pressure on the students.

Honestly, every sixth form puts some amount of pressure on the students to get them to do well. I assume it won't be too much work in the first week, though...
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Honestly, every sixth form puts some amount of pressure on the students to get them to do well. I assume it won't be too much work in the first week, though...

true, but i dont want the second week to hit me really hard because then i just get too stressed out
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
You're doing 3 out of my 4 subjects; English Lit, History and Politics!

I wanted to go to Woodhouse, but it was in a very inconvenient location to where I lived.

Oh nice! Woodhouse is in a very inconvenient location - I completely agree!
Original post by bfgg123
true, but i dont want the second week to hit me really hard because then i just get too stressed out

A lot of people were saying that the workload was quite huge and stressful; it's all about how you manage your time and your revision. In my opinion, the fact that you got in proves that they think you are able to handle the demand of 4 A Levels/Pre-U's; so therefore you shouldn't have any problems.

However, I would definitely recommend contacting them to see what things they have in place for things like stress and work management.
Original post by -Bibliophile-
Oh nice! Woodhouse is in a very inconvenient location - I completely agree!

Yeah I would very much rather catch a faster Underground train to Westminster for sixth form than take two really long bus journeys from where I live!
Reply 154
Original post by bfgg123

I’m sure you will be fine - go wherever feels right for you and where u think u will work best for you - if u work better under pressure and feel motivated by it then it’s a good environment - if u don’t work well under pressure I’m sure you will Still be fine because there should be a system in place to help students who are feeling stressed/anxious . Any sixth form you go to there will be a little bit of pressure so maybe try not to focus on that aspect to much idk - it all depends on you .
Name: Carol
Subjects studying: Physics, Maths, then want to change bio to chem and further maths to something else. I’ve thought about it and I don’t really need it
Test interview score: 521
Age/birthday: 15
Interests: Art, music, dance
Other places applied to: Harris and my current school’s sixth form
Further education choices: Natural Sciences at Cambridge/Imperial/Oxford (too much ambition here)

Question: when they say on the letter that ‘if any of the above info is incorrect..write the correct info in the box below the subject’ we can still put in subjects we’ve changed our mind about right (dumb question but just in case)

The big thing putting me off the school is pretty much the ‘must do 4 a-levels’ rule- I’d much rather do 3 very well than do average with 4, so is there an ‘easy’ a level you think I could do? I just want to focus on physics, maths and chem more
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by fiddletrio
ah cool! whats ur sc?

freddiesehgal

what's yours?
Original post by NotYourAuntCarol
Name: Carol
Subjects studying: Physics, Maths, then want to change bio to chem and further maths to something else. I’ve thought about it and I don’t really need it
Test+interview score: 521
Age/birthday: 15 (July 31st)
Interests: Art, music, dance, astronomy, memes and watching way too many shows
Other places applied to: Harris and my current school’s sixth form
Further education choices: Natural Sciences at Cambridge/Imperial/Oxford (too much ambition here)

Question: when they say on the letter that ‘if any of the above info is incorrect..write the correct info in the box below the subject’ we can still put in subjects we’ve changed our mind about right (dumb question but just in case)

The big thing putting me off the school is pretty much the ‘must do 4 a-levels’ rule- I’d much rather do 3 very well than do average with 4, so is there an ‘easy’ a level you think I could do? I just want to focus on physics, maths and chem more

Hey! As far as A-Levels go, there isn't really an 'easy' A Level. I mean, it is Harris, after all. It's really hard to drop an A Level unless you're being predicted a low grade in it.

However, if you want something that you can focus less on, I would recommend that you take a subject that you have a passing interest in. I would advise against any of these, however;

- Art
- Biology
- Drama
- Music
- Philosophy*
- English Literature*

... as these subjects are quite content heavy and work intensive; especially the ones marked (*), as they are Pre-U subjects.
Original post by freddiesehgal02
freddiesehgal

what's yours?

Do you mind if I add you on sc?
Reply 159
Add my snap: Pobzino

Quick Reply

Latest