The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster 2018 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ihatelife2
You know in those videos you shared yesterday?
One of the pieces of advice they gave was to suck up to teachers.
How do you think that's going to go down for you?😁😂

Hopefully really well. In fact, I think I did it at the interview. I guess you could call me a teacher's pet...
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
Hopefully really well. In fact, I think I did it at the interview. I guess you could call me a teacher's pet...

In another one of her videos, she films bits of the school day and the students there seem pretty happy and relaxed. They don't seem like depressed or stressed as suggested by many reviews on TSR. What did you make of that?
In another one of her videos, she films bits of the school day and the students there seem pretty happy and relaxed. They don't seem like depressed or stressed as suggested by many reviews on TSR. What did you make of that?

Honestly speaking, that point was something that made me reconsider my application to Harris. I was stuck between choosing Harris Westminster - with Oxbridge-graduate teachers, and City and Islington, which had a more relaxed college experience.

The girls I met at the interview also seemed like they were having the best time; which reinforced my belief that there are normal people that go to Harris; it's just that the sixth form itself is literally another world from what I'm currently used to.

I don't think anyone here wants to make the mistake of going somewhere that isn't right for them. However, in the video, the school just seemed so... perfect. Everyone got along, the lessons seemed good, the students seemed so happy. I really hope it's like this for all of us. Maybe we'll make a video like this one day...
Honestly speaking, that point was something that made me reconsider my application to Harris. I was stuck between choosing Harris Westminster - with Oxbridge-graduate teachers, and City and Islington, which had a more relaxed college experience.

The girls I met at the interview also seemed like they were having the best time; which reinforced my belief that there are normal people that go to Harris; it's just that the sixth form itself is literally another world from what I'm currently used to.

I don't think anyone here wants to make the mistake of going somewhere that isn't right for them. However, in the video, the school just seemed so... perfect. Everyone got along, the lessons seemed good, the students seemed so happy. I really hope it's like this for all of us. Maybe we'll make a video like this one day...

Videos will always cut out the not so perfect bits. I know ppl who cried everyday due to the excessive workload and lack of pastoral care....
Original post by fiddletrio
Videos will always cut out the not so perfect bits. I know ppl who cried everyday due to the excessive workload and lack of pastoral care....

Lack of pastoral care? The sixth formers at the interview told me that Harris had a counsellor...
Woodhouse vs Harris?

Has anybody else applied to Woodhouse College as well as Harris? (And gotten an offer)? I am feeling slightly torn between the two, but my gut says Harris so it'll probably be Harris, but I just wondered if anyone else had an opinion about the same thing? Thanks!

I hope I don't regret going and at the moment I don't think I will. It seems like an interesting place filled with interesting people.
Maybe we will. We better make that video the most entertaining thing ever.
Original post by -Bibliophile-
Woodhouse vs Harris?

Has anybody else applied to Woodhouse College as well as Harris? (And gotten an offer)? I am feeling slightly torn between the two, but my gut says Harris so it'll probably be Harris, but I just wondered if anyone else had an opinion about the same thing? Thanks!

Hey, I have a friend who got a conditional offer for Woodhouse yesterday. She's studying English Lit, Psychology and... something else I have forgotten.

I have been told that Woodhouse is quite overrated (and I understand why, Harris is also overrated to some extent), but apparently the lack of funds and provision for subjects like Music and Drama, as well as the overall atmosphere of the open day, were both quite poor...

I completely overlooked that. It's a very valid point. This is going to sound strange but I think I want to have a bit of pressure on me to study because I am lazy af .
I hope I don't regret going and at the moment I don't think I will. It seems like an interesting place filled with interesting people.
Maybe we will. We better make that video the most entertaining thing ever.

Yess we gotta start brainstorming now lol

I completely overlooked that. It's a very valid point. This is going to sound strange but I think I want to have a bit of pressure on me to study because I am lazy af .

I feel you. As we speak, I was supposed to be doing Maths revision, as well as English, Geography and RE homework. I did the Maths revision and the RE homework, but then I realised I forgot the question for English and I can't really be bothered to do Geography... and the thing is I can't do it after school tomorrow cos I have a school trip... so it can wait until Friday lol
Yess we gotta start brainstorming now lol

So any ideas yet?:dontknow:
I feel you. As we speak, I was supposed to be doing Maths revision, as well as English, Geography and RE homework. I did the Maths revision and the RE homework, but then I realised I forgot the question for English and I can't really be bothered to do Geography... and the thing is I can't do it after school tomorrow cos I have a school trip... so it can wait until Friday lol

Same. I am the first person to have to do their English Language speaking test and I haven't even thought of an idea yet. Luckily I have until Friday. I also have Spanish and Geography Homework that I have to do. If I am stressed that I have an exam the next day, that's legit the only time I will do anything. it works, but I know it won't work for A-level regardless of how fast I can learn something. That's why I need pressure. It makes me work.
So any ideas yet?:dontknow:

Let's do... 20 things in Harris that will make you wanna kill yourself :biggrin:

I'm being serious lol we did that for my school and here's what we came up with

1. Bipolar teachers
2. Fake af people
3. Fake af jollof rice
4. Chicken for lunch... every single fricking day
5. All the hot male teachers are married
6. All the hot female teachers are not interested
7. No one got higher than 6 in the last maths mock
8. Our school advertising lies about us being rated 'Outstanding' by ofsted
9. We live in the hood
10. 40% of students can't spell hood
11. We're always flopping GCSE French mocks cos we can't really speak French
12. A good amount of us failed English speaking and listening, which means we can't speak English either
13. The ESOL students never get in trouble... no matter what they do :angry:
14. The school spends its money on useless things like fake grass in the reception instead of a librarian
15. The school internet is highly unusable in the sense that nearly every single website is blocked
16. People push into the lunch line all the time - and the teachers do NOTHING about it
17. Some sixth formers were told NOT to apply to Russell Group unis as apparently they doubted they would receive offers
18. A girl once got stabbed with scissors
19. As I was in the student council, I can tell you that I was told to lie to Ofsted and say that bullying doesn't happen in the school
20. Some teachers fail to empathise with students and are very quick to hand out sanctions... without attempting to understand the situation.

My school is actually so dead wth
Hey, I have a friend who got a conditional offer for Woodhouse yesterday. She's studying English Lit, Psychology and... something else I have forgotten.

I have been told that Woodhouse is quite overrated (and I understand why, Harris is also overrated to some extent), but apparently the lack of funds and provision for subjects like Music and Drama, as well as the overall atmosphere of the open day, were both quite poor...

Okay, it does seem very overrated, seeing as though literally half my year applied for Woodhouse and only 1 person in my year applied to Harris (that was me!). Thank you!
Original post by -Bibliophile-
Okay, it does seem very overrated, seeing as though literally half my year applied for Woodhouse and only 1 person in my year applied to Harris (that was me!). Thank you!

You know... one of the videos I shared yesterday said that it's better to go to a new school on your own. That way, you get to practice making new friends; you learn how to be more independent, and you learn how to settle in to a new learning environment; which is a great skill for when you go to university.

I am also the only person in my year that applied to Harris!
You know... one of the videos I shared yesterday said that it's better to go to a new school on your own. That way, you get to practice making new friends; you learn how to be more independent, and you learn how to settle in to a new learning environment; which is a great skill for when you go to university.

I am also the only person in my year that applied to Harris!

like 10 people in my year got an offer lol
Lack of pastoral care? The sixth formers at the interview told me that Harris had a counsellor...

One counsellor does not mean that everything is rainbows and fairies......people still suffer from mental health issues and the school overlook most of that **** cos they just want good grades. Honestly I'm just going there to get good grades and go to Oxford tbh.
One counsellor does not mean that everything is rainbows and fairies......people still suffer from mental health issues and the school overlook most of that **** cos they just want good grades. Honestly I'm just going there to get good grades and go to Oxford tbh.

Yeah, Harris Westminster is run by a business, after all, and the objective of a business is to make money. But I think I wanna join the Student Council and try to investigate this issue more. Mental health is still really important and is just as imperative in a person achieving good grades as hard work.
Let's do... 20 things in Harris that will make you wanna kill yourself :biggrin:

I'm being serious lol we did that for my school and here's what we came up with

1. Bipolar teachers
2. Fake af people
3. Fake af jollof rice
4. Chicken for lunch... every single fricking day
5. All the hot male teachers are married
6. All the hot female teachers are not interested
7. No one got higher than 6 in the last maths mock
8. Our school advertising lies about us being rated 'Outstanding' by ofsted
9. We live in the hood
10. 40% of students can't spell hood
11. We're always flopping GCSE French mocks cos we can't really speak French
12. A good amount of us failed English speaking and listening, which means we can't speak English either
13. The ESOL students never get in trouble... no matter what they do :angry:
14. The school spends its money on useless things like fake grass in the reception instead of a librarian
15. The school internet is highly unusable in the sense that nearly every single website is blocked
16. People push into the lunch line all the time - and the teachers do NOTHING about it
17. Some sixth formers were told NOT to apply to Russell Group unis as apparently they doubted they would receive offers
18. A girl once got stabbed with scissors
19. As I was in the student council, I can tell you that I was told to lie to Ofsted and say that bullying doesn't happen in the school
20. Some teachers fail to empathise with students and are very quick to hand out sanctions... without attempting to understand the situation.

My school is actually so dead wth

I'm deadddddd🤣🤣🤣.
I need to watch this.

Quick Reply

Latest