The Student Room Group

MA Filmmaking Mature & International Students 2018

Hello,

I’m an international student and I’ll be studying Film and TV in the UK . I wanted to know if there are others so we’ll do it in this format:

Origin Country:
School accepted:

My answer:
Origin Country: Canada
Schools applied: Falmouth, Bournemouth U: Film & TV Directing, Goldsmiths: Directing, Hertfordshire MA
Received offer: Falmouth, Hertfordshire
School accepted: None as of yet.

I just applied to Bournemouth U yesterday. Has anyone heard back from Goldsmiths any stream?

Also do you feel it’s better to do a MA in Filmmaking or apply to schools that have specific streams? I.e editing, screenwriting, etc...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by InternationalUK
Hello,

I’m an international student and I’ll be studying Film and TV in the UK . I wanted to know if there are others so we’ll do it in this format:

Origin Country:
School accepted:

My answer:
Schools applied: Falmouth, Bournemouth U: Film & TV Directing, Goldsmiths: Directing
Received offer: Falmouth

I just applied to Bournemouth U yesterday. Has anyone heard back from Goldsmiths any stream?

Also do you feel it’s better to do a MA in Filmmaking or apply to schools that have specific streams? I.e editing, screenwriting, etc...

I’d say it’s better to apply for cilect member film schools.
Original post by PQ
I’d say it’s better to apply for cilect member film schools.

Does CILECT make that much of a difference? I got into Hertfordshire but their program isn’t recognized as much as Goldsmiths or B U.
Does CILECT make that much of a difference? I got into Hertfordshire but their program isn’t recognized as much as Goldsmiths or B U.

Recognised by who? Neither goldsmiths or BU has a great record of graduates working in film. BU is outstanding for tv or animation/fx (the reputation it has for film is mainly mistaken identity with AUB), goldsmiths is great for fine art and theory.

I would suggest you speak to someone from the companies or in the roles you aspire to and ask their advice.
Original post by PQ
Recognised by who? Neither goldsmiths or BU has a great record of graduates working in film. BU is outstanding for tv or animation/fx (the reputation it has for film is mainly mistaken identity with AUB), goldsmiths is great for fine art and theory.

I would suggest you speak to someone from the companies or in the roles you aspire to and ask their advice.

I want to become a TV director so BU sounds like the place
BU Alum
Alex Kalymnios

She’s one of my fav directors and speaks highly of the program.
Goldsmiths Alum
Sam Taylor- Johnson

AUB drop outs are extremely high. I’ve read so many reviews and spoken to a couple of people they said their BA is excellent MA not so much. Plus their MA is 15 months and I’m only interested in 1 year MA’s.
Reply 5
Am from Goldsmiths... please defer for a year or avoid Uk...Pleaseeeee do not come here especially to the UK. The standard of education is low, lack of professionalism within faculty, very poor facilities compared to North America. Besides all of this there is a strike going on here, one of the largest in UK history....(64 universities) no classes for 3 weeks and now the strike will go on till beginning of May n if required indefinitely till they come to some agreeable resolution. We have missed so many classes and the faculty will not make up for lost time nor is university giving any refund for no classes. We are paying hugh sums for not receiving any education. Plllleassse do not come to the UK or differ coming here for another year.
Reply 6
1 Year MA- actually 6 months of class ... Goldsmiths is not good for films. Not for the MA program for sure. There are lots of problems currently in UK... please read about the strikes... avoid coming here please... or defer it..

I want to become a TV director so BU sounds like the place
BU Alum
Alex Kalymnios

She’s one of my fav directors and speaks highly of the program.
Goldsmiths Alum
Sam Taylor- Johnson

AUB drop outs are extremely high. I’ve read so many reviews and spoken to a couple of people they said their BA is excellent MA not so much. Plus their MA is 15 months and I’m only interested in 1 year MA’s.
Original post by Bmhd
Am from Goldsmiths... please defer for a year or avoid Uk...Pleaseeeee do not come here especially to the UK. The standard of education is low, lack of professionalism within faculty, very poor facilities compared to North America. Besides all of this there is a strike going on here, one of the largest in UK history....(64 universities) no classes for 3 weeks and now the strike will go on till beginning of May n if required indefinitely till they come to some agreeable resolution. We have missed so many classes and the faculty will not make up for lost time nor is university giving any refund for no classes. We are paying hugh sums for not receiving any education. Plllleassse do not come to the UK or differ coming here for another year.

Oh no that’s absolutely terrible! Sorry to hear about that. I originally wanted to go to schoo in the states but the tuition for international students is out of this world! What are you taking st goldsmiths?
Reply 8
Please trust me, am not misguiding you. please please do not come here or defer.. there is free education in Germany.. There are some excellent schools in Sweden, Holland/ Belgium... and the education in Holland/ Belgium is so much cheaper as well. Its a big eye wash..
Hello,

Origin Country:
School accepted:

My answer:
Schools applied: Falmouth, Bournemouth U: Film & TV Directing, Goldsmiths: Directing, Hertfordshire MA
Received offer: Falmouth, Hertfordshire

Hey!
That's great to hear that you have applied to BU, feel free to ask any questions that you may have!
Alice
Hey all -- I'm also headed to the UK this fall for an MA in International Film business program. Can't wait! Origin Country: USA Age: 27Schools applied: University Exeter/London Film SchoolSchool accepted: University Exeter/London Film School
So what place do you guys prefer to go to as the best if one wants to study film making?
Original post by Mil_Jeans
So what place do you guys prefer to go to as the best if one wants to study film making?

nfts

Quick Reply

Latest