The Student Room Group

The UK is a joke

Our nation is becoming a joke. Free speech is held in contempt- if you have the wrong opinion there is now that much red tape in place that you are likely to get a conviction or if you are outside Britain you get banned from the country- mainly those with right wing conservative views.

Lets give you an example, the other day there was 3 journalists/ political activists they was from Canada, America and Austria. Lets make long story short and say that all 3 of these activists was detained through our terrorism legislation two of the three was detained for a few days and one of them was detained for 6 hours. The couple who was detained for a few days was detained because they was going to conduct an interview with Tommy Robinson and the other one was detained for 6 hrs on the basis of conducting a social experiment of handing out leaflets saying Allah is gay- bit of a trivial reason to ban someone for life from a nation- considering similar leaflets have been distributed saying god is gay- offences which are that major that schedule 7 of the terrorism act was cited as the reason for detention when zero of the three showed signs of committing a terrorist attack

What troubles me with this is that we are declaring war on freedom of speech with foreign reporters but ISIS terrorists can and have passed free of detention who have fought for ISIS Syria 400-450 terrorists have thought to have returned. This is a disgrace- this is what Mrs May was looking at with the Social Chapter by the looks of things to close down free speech of right wing conservatives. This is tolerance, this is censorship. This is a witch-hunt!

What makes things worse Salman Abedi the Manchester Arena terrorist was allowed to return to the UK from going to a bomb making school in Libya- no questions asked not even when he got back to Britain was he retained, this is despite him being on a prospected terrorist list.

Everyone else laugh at us- we are now a joke nation.

Scroll to see replies

watcha thinkin bout.png
If you think this country is a joke feel free to leave. This country has a proud history of standing up to fascists and those who want to spread hatred, and we have a proud history of welcoming those in need and who want to come here.

And the reason why Salman Abedi was allowed to return to the UK is because he's a British citizen, unlike Lauren Southern, who is a foreigner.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Stewpid
Our nation is becoming a joke. Free speech is held in contempt- if you have the wrong opinion there is now that much red tape in place that you are likely to get a conviction or if you are outside Britain you get banned from the country- mainly those with right wing conservative views.

Lets give you an example, the other day there was 3 journalists/ political activists they was from Canada, America and Austria. Lets make long story short and say that all 3 of these activists was detained through our terrorism legislation two of the three was detained for a few days and one of them was detained for 6 hours. The couple who was detained for a few days was detained because they was going to conduct an interview with Tommy Robinson and the other one was detained for 6 hrs on the basis of conducting a social experiment of handing out leaflets saying Allah is gay- bit of a trivial reason to ban someone for life from a nation- considering similar leaflets have been distributed saying god is gay- offences which are that major that schedule 7 of the terrorism act was cited as the reason for detention when zero of the three showed signs of committing a terrorist attack

What troubles me with this is that we are declaring war on freedom of speech with foreign reporters but ISIS terrorists can and have passed free of detention who have fought for ISIS Syria 400-450 terrorists have thought to have returned. This is a disgrace- this is what Mrs May was looking at with the Social Chapter by the looks of things to close down free speech of right wing conservatives. This is tolerance, this is censorship. This is a witch-hunt!

What makes things worse Salman Abedi the Manchester Arena terrorist was allowed to return to the UK from going to a bomb making school in Libya- no questions asked not even when he got back to Britain was he retained, this is despite him being on a prospected terrorist list.

Everyone else laugh at us- we are now a joke nation.

Although you made some fair points, i think the post was generally idiotic.

First and foremost, you cannot stop your citizen from returning to their homeland. Salman Abedi and others could not be banned because they were British Citizens.

Two, terrorism is not only defined as political movement, you can have ideological terrorism which can come from liberal and conservative groups. In my opinion, the Government were right to ban known ideological terrorists from entering the country. Those people were not British, so why should they be here to pour their poison into the British consciousness.

I think you need to be careful with the whole idea of “free speech”, there is no such thing as absolute freedom. If you made a threatening remark to the Queen, the police and anti-terror police will be all over you that you may not even survive the interrogation.

Anyway, I’d suggest that you calm down. No need to go on a rampage.
Original post by Wired_1800
Although you made some fair points, i think the post was generally idiotic.

First and foremost, you cannot stop your citizen from returning to their homeland. Salman Abedi and others could not be banned because they were British Citizens.

Yes you can. The defence secretary recently put out one way for example.

Two, terrorism is not only defined as political movement, you can have ideological terrorism which can come from liberal and conservative groups. In my opinion, the Government were right to ban known ideological terrorists from entering the country. Those people were not British, so why should they be here to pour their poison into the British consciousness.

What was their ‘poison’?
Original post by Davij038
Yes you can. The defence secretary recently put out one way for example.

What was their ‘poison’?

And he was shouted down for being an idiot. How can a Defence Secretary suggest the killing of fellow citizens?

The poison of division, racism, Islamophobia, just to name a few vices that the EDL and Britain First contribute to our collective consciousness.
Lauren Southern is a terrible and racist individual.
Her main reason for trying to come to the UK was to create tension between Muslims and others by handing out inflammatory leaflets!
This is terrible, Muslim people make up part of British society and I have no objections to them as people!

And he was shouted down for being an idiot. How can a Defence Secretary suggest the killing of fellow citizens?

Numerous examples and this is liberal hypocritical tripe from the people that use drone strikes and renditioning. International law is bogus propaganda

The poison of division, racism, Islamophobia, just to name a few vices that the EDL and Britain First contribute to our collective consciousness.

So thought crime then...
Personally, I don't think Lauren Southern should have been banned, but you're over-exaggerating the severity of the situation. She also has strong ties to a hate preacher/thug (Tommy-Robinson) and was going to interview him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j7IX_5a_9M

Free speech is fine and dandy, but there's something called responsibility too. If you say something reprehensible that violates the law/puts people in potential danger, you better be ready to face the consequences. Free speech isn't being restricted as harshly as many are proclaiming, the consequences are merely becoming more rampant. A free speech society without consequences results in unchallenged levels of homophobia, scandalous sexism, rampant racism, obscene discrimination, and all kinds of injustice. We've been cooperating with Saudi Arabia (a modern day, barbaric dictatorship), that's surely more of a stain on our country than banning a right-wing advocate with ties to hate preachers.
(edited 6 years ago)
Ghastly grammar! Eek!
Original post by Davij038
Numerous examples and this is liberal hypocritical tripe from the people that use drone strikes and renditioning. International law is bogus propaganda

So thought crime then...

I am not in support of drone strikes or hypocritical views.

Yes, we cannot fight certain political ideological along religious lines then permit far-right views to go unchallenged or stopped.
Best place in the UK for Travelling?
Original post by Harold98
This country has a proud history of standing up to fascists and those who want to spread hatred, and we have a proud history of welcoming those in need and who want to come here.

Interesting that a majority of you lot voted Leave then on the back of a campaign that did nothing but spread hatred, and that Britain is far from pulling its weight in the refugee crisis, turning away traumatized people fleeing from terror and war.

****ing hypocrites, truly the laughing stock of Europe.
I am not in support of drone strikes or hypocritical views.

Ok but then you’re merely a useful idiot like democrats supporting the USSR

Yes, we cannot fight certain political ideological along religious lines then permit far-right views to go unchallenged or stopped.

What do you mean by far right?
In all honesty, the whole species is becoming a joke. We are morons who only care about making ourselves feel good as much as possible. Nobody is truly an exception.
Reply 15
Original post by GenialGermanGent
Interesting that a majority of you lot voted Leave then on the back of a campaign that did nothing but spread hatred, and that Britain is far from pulling its weight in the refugee crisis, turning away traumatized people fleeing from terror and war.

****ing hypocrites, truly the laughing stock of Europe.

Germany is the true laughing stock of Europe. We all know that. Sad that the most powerful country in Europe have left and you can't make your European Army?
Reply 16
No no, everyone laughs at you because a majority of you (uneducated, xenophobic nationalists) voted to permanently make your nation considerably poorer, because you have a notoriously incompetent and arrogant leadership, a terribly undiversified economy that doesn't actually produce anything tangible anymore, because your society is catastrophically unequal, divided, and dominated by a hostile mindset ('banter' is an exclusively British thing, after all), because you still think you're a superpower when you're really an irrelevant minnow, because you're basically a nation of overweight, kebab-addicted alcoholics with perfectly round heads and no teeth... just a little selection.

Yes, we are so uneducated that we are one of the leading countries in Technology and Science, creating some of the biggest names in history - Stephen Hawking, Sir Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, we're so uneducated man help us. The only other proper superpower in Europe bar the UK is France, you know that, thats why you're upset.

If we are so uneducated you perfect little German boy, tell me why German students come here for education? I've met some very nice German girls who hate Germany and love the UK.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jdddd
Germany is the true laughing stock of Europe. We all know that. Sad that the most powerful country in Europe have left and you can't make your European Army?

No, nobody knows that. We are utterly dominating you lot economically and politically. Just look at your pathetic GDP, look at who pulls the strings in the EU. Salty much?

Most powerful? You're dreaming. You're a laughing stock.
Speaking as a British person....GenialGermanGent is right. I'm embarrassed to call myself a British citizen at the minute. The whole world is laughing at us, and all we can bang on about is our oh-so-wonderful history, forgetting at present we have very little to offer the world.
Reply 19
Great, give me more of your irrelevant anecdotes! Ever considered that people are coming to Britain to improve their English skills to later work in the US, to get international experience on their CVs? It's not like Brits could go abroad to do the same, given how uneducated you are and how little foreign language knowledge you lot have.

Why are you so Angry? Whats wrong pup? Is it Brexit? Bless you. Have you never heard of BAE? ARM - That probably make your phones processor😂 Infectious Media, Avecto Lol

Yes little foreign langauge knowledge we have😂 I speak Spanish and a little Turkish, my Dad speaks Spanish and French, my friend speaks French😂 Nice one, you obviously know nothing about the UK, just angry at Brexit, but, i'd be very angry if I had Angela Merkel as Prime Minister too! For a 4th term! I'd be fuming! I understand your anger.

Why are you so angry about it? Surely you should be soooo happy we are leaving you can make alot more economic trade deals etc and boost your economy? Why do you care about us so much if we are so irrelevant? 😂
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending