The Student Room Group

I'm a girl who wants a career in Computer Science AMA

I'm 15 years old, I'm a girl and really want to peruse a career in computer science when I'm older. At the moment I can't say which field I want to work in because technology is always changing so rapidly. But if I had to say now I'd probably go into AI.

There's not many girls into computing though. For example in my computer science class there's 10 people and only 3 of us are girls and the other two girls I don't really talk to, they're not really into it they just picked computer science as a subject because the alternative was geography.

But are there any girls on TSR into computer science?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah and..?
There were a few in this thread a few weeks back:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5191194

Also, even though TSR isn't exactly representative of the wider student community, this poll indicates things aren't quite as bad as you might think:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1519495
Original post by Cod3tte
I'm 15 years old, I'm a girl and really want to peruse a career in computer science when I'm older. At the moment I can't say which field I want to work in because technology is always changing so rapidly. But if I had to say now I'd probably go into AI.

There's not many girls into computing though. For example in my computer science class there's 10 people and only 3 of us are girls and the other two girls I don't really talk to, they're not really into it they just picked computer science as a subject because the alternative was geography.

But are there any girls on TSR into computer science?

How's your math? AI is as much about maths than CS. You need both but I would also make sure your maths is on point if you want to get in to AI.
So what?
I'm also a girl and interested in computer science. I'm considering software engineering as a career path.

Have you considered doing an apprenticeship rather than going to uni?
May as well add what retirement home do you want to live in when you're 90?

lol allow they're only 15 they probably know what they want more than a lot of year 12s.
You can get on most CS courses without CS but you need an A-Level in Maths. How good is your math?
Alright fine you're right I just felt like you were a bit pushy dw.
Do you like Jazz? why are these forums made? No one is going to ask any important questions. You'll probably change your mind about 50 times before finishing your A-Levels anyway. :/
Reply 10
Original post by _InnocentOne_
Yeah and..?

And I wanted to see if any other girls on TSR shared the same interest as me.
Reply 11
Original post by winterscoming
There were a few in this thread a few weeks back:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5191194

Also, even though TSR isn't exactly representative of the wider student community, this poll indicates things aren't quite as bad as you might think:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1519495

Reply 12
Original post by jestersnow
How's your math? AI is as much about maths than CS. You need both but I would also make sure your maths is on point if you want to get in to AI.

Well I'm in year 10 and on my last test a I got a grade 5 (old grade C), it was a foundation test and 5 was the highest you could get.

Now they've moved me to a class doing the Higher Tier work meaning I'll be sitting the Higher Maths paper and I'm working at grade 7 (old grade A) standard, atm.
Reply 13
Tbh, I don't know what field of AI I want to go into because it's always changing, possibly AI and blockchain.

Yes, I do intend to go to university, I'm considering either Leeds, or Durham I've been to Leeds Uni on a school trip, but I not entirely sure I want to keep my options open.

The degree I'd probably take is Computer Science and AI but atm I'm still considering my options. I'm learning about AI myself right now, and written a few games in Python which use AI.
Reply 14
Original post by Cold Stone
So what?

So, I also wanted to see if there's any other girl on TSR who shares the same interest.
Original post by Cod3tte
Well I'm in year 10 and on my last test a I got a grade 5 (old grade C), it was a foundation test and 5 was the highest you could get.

Now they've moved me to a class doing the Higher Tier work meaning I'll be sitting the Higher Maths paper and I'm working at grade 7 (old grade A) standard, atm.

Okay well done and hopefully you get on well in Higher Tier. At A-Level you should be looking for a minimum of a B in maths if you want to study AI.
Reply 16
Original post by GeorgeBear
Do you like Jazz? why are these forums made? No one is going to ask any important questions. You'll probably change your mind about 50 times before finishing your A-Levels anyway. :/

Jazz isn't my thing lol. I made this to see if any other girls share the same interest as me. And I doubt I'll change my mind I've been wanting to have a career in Computer Science since I was 10.
Reply 17
Original post by jestersnow
Okay well done and hopefully you get on well in Higher Tier. At A-Level you should be looking for a minimum of a B in maths if you want to study AI.

Well, rn I'm working above grade B at GCSE so A-Level shouldn't be so tricky, I have good memory recall, and I have a whole year to improve my grade.
Reply 18
Original post by Fazzy_77
I'm also a girl and interested in computer science. I'm considering software engineering as a career path.

Have you considered doing an apprenticeship rather than going to uni?

Oh thats cool :smile:

Tbh, I'd rather go to uni, I'm more of an academic person.
Original post by Cod3tte
Oh thats cool :smile:

Tbh, I'd rather go to uni, I'm more of an academic person.

I'm more academic too but I just think for a career in computing it's worth researching some apprenticeships. I'm in year 11 and I've been looking into it. There are some apprenticeships where the company will pay for your uni education and also pay for you to work for them on a few days. But if uni is the right path for you then good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending