The Student Room Group

What are your views on plastic waste?

I think its disgusting. 8 million tons of plastic end up in our oceans every year. Adding to the 150 million tons of plastic circulating the ocean. Over half of the plastic are used only once and then are thrown away. Consequently resulting in many aquatic animals digesting it and dying.

What are your views?
I am thinking of choosing this topic to do a speech. I am more than glad to hear a mixture of responses.

Thanks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Khadija.R123
I think its disgusting. 8 million tons of plastic end up in our oceans every year. Adding to the 150 million tons of plastic circulating the ocean. Over half of the plastic are used only once and then are thrown away. Consequently resulting in many aquatic animals digesting it and dying.

What are your views?
I am thinking of choosing this topic to do a speech. I am more than glad to hear a mixture of responses.

Thanks

Sky news have done a big thing called sky news ocean rescue, look it up for info and reports . :smile:
Original post by Andrew97
Sky news have done a big thing called sky news ocean rescue, look it up for info and reports . :smile:

Thnx
yeah check out micro plastics and micro beads the plastic pollution is way worse than i imagined
Reply 4
Original post by Khadija.R123

What are your views?

Thanks

Absolutely agree with you. Plastic that is not or cannot be recycled should be banned.
Reply 5
Sadly plastic is cheap and useful for convenience. Its also lightweight so costs less to transport too. IT would be so good to clean up our envrionment. However, the amount of people throwing trash out of car windows to the verges, in car parks, etc is just disgusting and makes me ashamed to be a part of this country (yes I know others are much worse).
Reply 6
Original post by dhr90
Sadly plastic is cheap and useful for convenience. Its also lightweight so costs less to transport too. IT would be so good to clean up our envrionment. However, the amount of people throwing trash out of car windows to the verges, in car parks, etc is just disgusting and makes me ashamed to be a part of this country (yes I know others are much worse).

Therein lies half the battle. Too many people simply don't care. There is a beautiful woodland near me where I walk my dog sometimes, I went up there earlier this week, only to find that somebody had obviously parked by the entrance the previous night and left around 20 beer cans, dozens of crisp packets and McDonalds bags, which were all blowing into the woods. It absolutely boggles my mind how these people have such little regard for nature and the land.

But it's just one symptom of a much wider disconnect from the natural world today. I see it everywhere. I see it in the people the who rip up and pave over their entire gardens, without a moment's thought about what that is doing to the microbial life in the soil, to the local wildlife and the insects. It might seem insignificant for just one garden, but if half the city is doing the same, you're effectively creating a desert. Even those who profess to like gardening are not always much better. The number of people I see who obsess over getting a 'perfect lawn'. They spend hundreds pumping it full of pesticides and weedkillers, again wrecking the soil, killing the insects, and for what? For some unnatural, uniform green monoculture? They might as well have just carpeted the thing. I'd rather have a lawn that full of daisies, buttercups, clover and other wildflowers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending