The Student Room Group

Amber Rudd resigns as home secretary

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SMEGGGY
Rees Mogg I say

He's more likely to challenge May for the leadership imo, he won't tolerate being tied to cabinet collective responsibility.

Original post by Rinsed
Hunt or Javid would be good choices IMO. A few people have mentioned Gove but I can't see May giving him any more power than she needs to. IDS has literally no chance.

Picking Hunt would be a good way of getting him away from Health, surely he wouldn't turn down the Home Office?

Javid is now bookies favourite. He's a remainer but still has eurosceptic views. His Asian heritage and working class upbringing might also be a bonus in May's eyes. I think he's very likely to get the gig now that I think about it.
Original post by ReadySalted28
This leak done her over. Would love to know who leaked it...

You mean did the Minister for London hand it to his wife at the Guardian or did the Foreign Secretary give it to his sister in law?
Original post by DeBruyne18

Also, I don't like that Yvette Cooper is making such a big deal out of this when she was essentially trying to outflank the Tories on (illegal) immigration.

Meh. I'd bring that up whenever a centrist slug trys to attack Corbyn or saying things would be going better had they still been in charge.

But in this case I'm fine with centre Labour MPs uniting in effectivly attacking the Tories. Yes keep that knowledge, but only use it when it is useful.
I predict Chris Grayling for the new job.
Original post by nulli tertius
You mean did the Minister for London hand it to his wife at the Guardian or did the Foreign Secretary give it to his sister in law?

Is that what you think happened?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Meh. I'd bring that up whenever a centrist slug trys to attack Corbyn or saying things would be going better had they still been in charge.

But in this case I'm fine with centre Labour MPs uniting in effectivly attacking the Tories. Yes keep that knowledge, but only use it when it is useful.

Aye, fair enough.

It's more the fact that people like Corbyn are the only ones with genuine consistency on this issue. Yet the centrists will claim they are the great progressives. He was one of only 15 MPs to vote against the Immigration Bill.
BBC news has a whole banner about this on their homepage. Hot news for them tonight!
Original post by alfie.waters
your an idiot then, have you not seen what she has done to this country
I don't think Amber was in the job long enough to do much. Theresa May on the other hand....
Original post by ReadySalted28
Is that what you think happened?

The ship of state is the only ship that leaks from the top, and I can't see what interest Downing Street had in leaking it.
Original post by DeBruyne18
Aye, fair enough.

It's more the fact that people like Corbyn are the only ones with genuine consistency on this issue. Yet the centrists will claim they are the great progressives. He was one of only 15 MPs to vote against the Immigration Bill.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/989977183903985664

This is what things would look like if Cooper's wing of the party were still in charge.

That didn't stop Cooper shredding Rudd at that select committee thing. Which is good obviously.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by 04MR17
I predict Chris Grayling for the new job.

God help us if that happens.

(It won't.)
Original post by Doonesbury

(It won't.)

Next year's PPE interview question:-

"Please describe a problem to which Chris Grayling is the appropriate solution"

(It won't.)
:lol: He was friendly with May is all. Was surprised he was only given Transport once May was in, given that he ran her leadership capaign....
Original post by Rinsed
Like I said I agree with that. Politics is political and I don't think having a cabinet which reflects the country is a bad thing to aim for. But that poster's language was somewhat stronger.

I mean, look at his reply to me:

"Keep a few BMEs" indeed. Cretin.

Showing your age -- in single digits.

Insults when you don't have the brains to come up with a decent response.
Reply 54
Original post by nulli tertius
Next year's PPE interview question:-

"Please describe a problem to which Chris Grayling is the appropriate solution"

Original post by 04MR17
:lol: He was friendly with May is all. Was surprised he was only given Transport once May was in, given that he ran her leadership capaign....

He's my local MP :afraid: (and I knew him before he was an MP, he was an eejit then too...)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/989977183903985664

This is what things would look like if Cooper's wing of the party were still in charge.

That didn't stop Cooper shredding Rudd at that select committee thing. Which is good obviously.

The likes of Cooper and Umunna are certainly 'good' politicians. They are much better speakers than Corbyn and would have much more control of the House at events like PMQs. The trouble is that it's difficult to know what their actual beliefs are and there is a sense that their actions are very calculated.

One thing I actually like about Corbyn is that he's rather rubbish at being a politician in that sense.
He's my local MP :afraid: (and I knew him before he was an MP, he was an eejit then too...)
I apologise about the poor political choices of your local residents. He was shadow home sec for 18 months before Cameron got in too.:redface:
Reply 57
Original post by 04MR17
He was shadow home sec for 18 months before Cameron got in too.:redface:

And made a mess of that (e.g. B&B controversy) and was airbrushed out of the GE and passed over for the subsequent cabinet.

I have no idea why May picked him to lead her campaign.

@nulli tertius any clue?
Original post by Rinsed
Mate, when you come up with a coherent argument beyond the facile "hurr durr Tories are racists" I'll do you the credit of responding.

I repeat myself because you clearly didn't get it the first time.

Insults when you don't have the brains to come up with a decent response.

Will repeat until it sinks in.
Seeing lots of windrush poeple saying they see the blame with Theresa May. Hopefully this is not going to stop here. May is the next in the firing line XD. Can't use Amber as a scape goat anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending