The Student Room Group

Whats the law on driving through a light changing to green?

Drove through a light that was on amber when it was changing to green. I saw the light start changing to green so I started to drive past the line. I somehow (dont drive a ferrari lol) passed the line while it was still amber. And I swear there was a flash from somewhere. Do you have to wait for it to go completely green?
Reply 1
Original post by jray204
Drove through a light that was on amber when it was changing to green. I saw the light start changing to green so I started to drive past the line. I somehow (dont drive a ferrari lol) passed the line while it was still amber. And I swear there was a flash from somewhere. Do you have to wait for it to go completely green?

From https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/light-signals-controlling-traffic :

RED means ‘Stop’. Wait behind the stop line on the carriageway

RED AND AMBER also means ‘Stop’. Do not pass through or start until GREEN shows

GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear. Take special care if you intend to turn left or right and give way to pedestrians who are crossing

AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident

If you want the actual wording, see regulation 36 of The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 which you can find at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/regulation/36/made
Reply 2

Thank you very much for the link! Looks like I am done for :0 haha rip
Amber and red means prepare to go i.e get into first gear and get ready
Amber on its own means slow down and prepare to stop (if it is safe to do so, you will need to practice working out where the 'commitment point' is)
Flashing amber on some pedestrian crossings means that you can go through if there are no pedestrians currently on the crossing
I have seen people drive through amber lights turning to green on lights where there is a camera and it has never flashed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending