The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BSpower
If seeing the price list, you would know that I did not have a second choice. In my case, driving with a black box can save 1200 pounds per year.

I know what the quotations are like, but there's a good reason it's cheap; if you can't afford something decent then you probably shouldn't be driving as you can't afford to maintain a car. I opted for standard insurance at the cost of an extra £900 to my policy in comparison to the cheapest blackbox insurance quote.

Have you ever considered why it's so cheap? Buy cheap, buy twice.
Reply 21
Original post by BSpower
cant remember exactly, I searched around different compare websites, probably gocompare.com. My car is 06 BMW 1 serious.

You're driving a BMW and expect your insurance to be cheap? l m f a o
Same thing is happening to me I drive just work and back home sometimes I’m doing excellent and some times poor while I’m doing everyday same way and driving same speed no accelerating or breaking hard.
Original post by Wōden
Don't bother with any comparison websites, they never give you the cheapest quotes. Go directly to the individual insurance companies, and don't be afraid to ring them up and challenge them on their prices, more often than not they will come back with a cheaper quote.

Aviva have been the best I have personally found lately, this year my renewal was just over £400 on my Mitsubishi pickup, fully comp. Would have been even less but I have to include business cover (I'm self employed).

Just looked at Aviva, they quoted me well over £4000 to insure a 1.0 litre 2014 Vauxhall Corsa...

I am 17 btw
Original post by joelcarter
Just looked at Aviva, they quoted me well over £4000 to insure a 1.0 litre 2014 Vauxhall Corsa...

I am 17 btw

Add an experienced additional driver (parent/guardian)?
Original post by accountant-future
Add an experienced additional driver (parent/guardian)?
That was already with my dad (an experienced driver with over 10 years no claims) as the main driver ...
That was already with my dad (an experienced driver with over 10 years no claims) as the main driver ...

Put yourself as the main driver and him as the additional driver.

Also, choose fully comprehensive insurance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by accountant-future
Put yourself as the main driver and him as the additional driver.

Also, choose fully comprehensive insurance.

Did it again with myself as the main driver, no difference in price :/Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.48.09.png
Reply 28
Did it again with myself as the main driver, no difference in price :/Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 12.48.09.png

That'll be because they assumed you were trying to commit fraud.
Original post by IWMTom
That'll be because they assumed you were trying to commit fraud.

What reason would they have to suspect that?
Reply 30
What reason would they have to suspect that?

Your dad being main driver on a Corsa with you as a named driver, presumably with your dad already having a car, and you just passing your test?

It just screams fronting!
Original post by IWMTom
Your dad being main driver on a Corsa with you as a named driver, presumably with your dad already having a car, and you just passing your test?

It just screams fronting!

My dad and I were planning on sharing the car, due to the fact that his current car is old and needs replacing. He would be driving it Monday-Friday to work and I could then drive it in the evenings and at the weekend. Also, I've not seen any other non-black box insurance quotes lower that £3500 yet, so I assume Aviva is just expensive.

I was also put as the main driver on the quote I posted above
Original post by emmepemme1999
Okay so I've been driving nearly three months now and I have been told by many experienced drivers I am good and safe when it comes to driving. I never speed (even when everyone else around me does), I rarely break harshly unless in unavoidable situations, and the latest I have driven is about 8 at night. BUT my black box keeps giving me either perfect scores or negative scores across the board. My question is: is anyone else experiencing or has anyone been through this and in which case what did you do to fix it??!

I had this when I had a black box. Was a load of rubbish, it started giving me perfect scores and then it also started giving me average/bad scores even though I’m a safe drivier! Just felt like a rip off tbh. Luckily when my old insurance was up for renewal I found a cheaper non blackbox insurance.

Maybe when your insurance is due for renewal, find something else that doesn’t require a blackbox?
Reply 33
Original post by Akatar1994
You come on all these black box insurance forums and just be a **** to everyone. You're only here for the purpose of trolling so go get a life and make yourself useful.

You talking to anyone in particular, or just yourself?
Original post by IWMTom
You talking to anyone in particular, or just yourself?

Original post by IWMTom
Then you shouldn't be driving as you can't afford it. Black box insurance barely functions as insurance.

You come on all these black box insurance forums and just be a **** to everyone. You're only here for the purpose of trolling so go get a life and make yourself useful.
Reply 35
Original post by Akatar1994

Alright, I'll make myself useful.

Don't take out telematics insurance.

Happy? Xx
Not taking out telematics = not getting railed by Tom and myself when you inevitably cry about the conditions of it when we told you not to do it.

The end. Can someone kill thread pls.
Original post by BSpower
I am having the similar situation. My black box gives me scores of speed, brake, acceleration and time on a daily basis if I drave my car.

I have always got low scores of acceleration even though the other 3 scores are 100. The score of acceleration is even worse if I used a motorway. I think it gave me low score while joining a motorway, but I need to gain speed on the slip road. I am sure I accelerate as gently as possible, still low score...My insurance company is Wisedriving.

same its always accelaration that a problem with them, i had such poor accelaration smh
I wonder what the black box would tell you were learning to drive safely like they do during the standard driving course in Finland

https://youtu.be/wnYGhAXbDsM?t=54s

You can't learn to drive safely without learning to drive at the edge and beyond.
Original post by emmepemme1999
Okay so I've been driving nearly three months now and I have been told by many experienced drivers I am good and safe when it comes to driving. I never speed (even when everyone else around me does), I rarely break harshly unless in unavoidable situations, and the latest I have driven is about 8 at night. BUT my black box keeps giving me either perfect scores or negative scores across the board. My question is: is anyone else experiencing or has anyone been through this and in which case what did you do to fix it??!

"Black box driving me insane"
I really hope this is a intentional pun :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending