The Student Room Group

I feel Christian but not apart of any denomination

I've studied almost 4 years of GCSE and A level religious studies now and I've a wide understanding of a lot of Christian doctrine, far beyond the "I believe in science" stance that I took when I was 13.

I like lots of aspects of Christianity, such as faith not works, soul-making and anonymous Christianity. Equally, I disagree with at least some aspects of every Christian denomination I'm aware of.

If I convert, and I may do later in life, what sort of things can I do? I wouldn't want to attend most religious ceremonies. Can I just be Christian because I have faith Jesus died on the cross to save humanity?
You don’t have to have a denomination :smile:

For this kind of topic though, I would suggest going onto a forum such as Christian forums for more insight :smile: I don’t want to say anything incorrect.

Generally though, it’s church once a week (or more- this is less common though). Baptism/Christening too (if not done already).

When I first became Christian, I said a special prayer that made it clear that I repented of all my sins. I didn’t read the Bible every day at first, or even pray, but now I do.
Original post by HoldThisL
I've studied almost 4 years of GCSE and A level religious studies now and I've a wide understanding of a lot of Christian doctrine, far beyond the "I believe in science" stance that I took when I was 13.

I like lots of aspects of Christianity, such as faith not works, soul-making and anonymous Christianity. Equally, I disagree with at least some aspects of every Christian denomination I'm aware of.

If I convert, and I may do later in life, what sort of things can I do? I wouldn't want to attend most religious ceremonies. Can I just be Christian because I have faith Jesus died on the cross to save humanity?

Bullseye!!!

That's it mate. Faith and the works of religions/denominations of religions are as chalk and cheese.

Identifying as belonging to a denomination doesn't need to mean you believe/agree with absolutely everything that denomination stands for or teaches :nah: That said, as said above, you don't need to belong to a denomination. I'd personally say that you can just be a Christian through your belief in Jesus' death and resurrection :yep:
Reply 4

It's great that through RS at school you have come to some sort of faith.

I wouldn't worry about the denominations, I'd just try and stay mainstream so you don't get sidetracked by some dodgy ideology.

At my church we don't do religious ceremonies as such, we have carol concerts at Christmas and a new years eve party. We have a drama at Easter and stuff like that. Nothing boring or ultra traditional (although some might like that and its their choice).

I'd say it's quite important to go to church for a couple of reasons. The first is you can make friends with like minded people who can support you if you need it, pray for you etc.

Also the church isn't the building, the church is the people. We're all part of one body (as the bible puts it). The arm needs the shoulder and the shoulder needs the body and the legs need the feet etc etc. Meaning if we are isolated and on our own we are less effective.

It's also good to hear preaching which helps us get to know God better and understand the bible more.

Great news though, God bless you mate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending