The Student Room Group

GCSE Biology Higher(separate science) Edexcel 9-1 2018

How did you find the paper? What do you think the grade boundaries are going to be like for 7-9?

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was alright a few questions confused me like the human genome and the bacterial rna but other that that i reckon it was okay
ez
Original post by Beth375
How did you find the paper? What do you think the grade boundaries are going to be like for 7-9?

Low grade boundaries are what I'm thinking...
Reply 4
Original post by rahul.sagu
Low grade boundaries are what I'm thinking...

Fr that was not what I was expecting. What did you guys get for the genotype of person z?
Original post by S.mulla
Fr that was not what I was expecting. What did you guys get for the genotype of person z?

I got their genotype as Dd and their phenotypes as a carrier of the disease.
Remember that the sex linked disease disorders are only found on the X chromosome!
For bacterial rna polymera, I think you right about because it inhibit the rna polymerase, protein synthesis can’t occur, so less protein are produced and therefore the bacteria will die out, and that’s how it help it help in bacterial infection
For the rna polymerase one, you have to right how it inhibits rna polymerase so that means protein synthesis can’t occur and so proteins are not made, so therefore tha bacteria will die
What did people put for the percentage increase of scarlet fever? I thought it was 210% but I think it was atually 110% not totally sure
Reply 9
Original post by Sarcher212
What did people put for the percentage increase of scarlet fever? I thought it was 210% but I think it was atually 110% not totally sure

i got 110% and so did my brother so i think it is. does anyone know the genotype for person z because i thought it was labelling the half-shaded circle but some people said it is a separate person you have to identify the gender and if they're affected or carrier. im not sure and apparently the answer is an affected male or something
It was quite hard,Im hoping the grade boundaries goes down .so like 35/70 should be a 645 should be 7
Reply 11
Original post by 260802
Remember that the sex linked disease disorders are only found on the X chromosome!

But shouldn't there only be one allele because it's a man? I wrote his allele as being dominant
It cannot be affected male as two of the offspring produced was unaffected bearing in mind person z was bred with a carrier
Original post by 260802

I can remember the question only asked the phenotype of person Z
Original post by Shobz911
I can remember the question only asked the phenotype of person Z

idk, that whole paper was a big mess and that difficult was even more of a mess. I cant wait for them to release the mark schemes so i can finally see the answer cos its gonna annoy me sooooo much lol
I found the paper really annoying. I knew everything about neurones and protein synthesis but none of it came up!
Grade boundaries are going to have to save me.
What can you say about the human genome project 6 mark?
Anyways I have to do really well on paper 2 if I want that 8
What mark would you need to get to achieve a 7 or 8? Any predictions.
Reply 17
Original post by PROcrastinater7
I found the paper really annoying. I knew everything about neurones and protein synthesis but none of it came up!
Grade boundaries are going to have to save me.
What can you say about the human genome project 6 mark?
Anyways I have to do really well on paper 2 if I want that 8

Protein synthesis came up, about the antibiotic inhibiting RNA Polymerase in bacteria (only a couple of marks for explaining part of it but still)
i am soooo scared about this cus i am meant to be doing it for A level and i found the paper okay an then when i walked out of it everyone was like that was P*** easy and saying different answers to what i put .... hate it
Original post by wavines.s
idk, that whole paper was a big mess and that difficult was even more of a mess. I cant wait for them to release the mark schemes so i can finally see the answer cos its gonna annoy me sooooo much lol

someone made an unofficial mark scheme, but the answers arent exactly right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending