The Student Room Group

Grade Boundaries Query

I'm a year 10 student taking higher separates science (edexcel). I have just recieved back my physics mock (we did a combined paper 1 as we hadn't finished all separate content when we did mocks). I got 54/60 which I was really pleased with, but then I was told that you needed 56/60 for a grade 9. To me this does not seem at all in keeping with the usual grade boundaries for this paper. They are usually around 45 for a 9. I wondered if they raised the boundaries as we are a separates class doing a combined paper, or if the teacher simply got confused. Does this grade boundary seem sensible, and what should I do if I want to try to ask a teacher about it? Thanks!
Original post by Bea12305
I'm a year 10 student taking higher separates science (edexcel). I have just recieved back my physics mock (we did a combined paper 1 as we hadn't finished all separate content when we did mocks). I got 54/60 which I was really pleased with, but then I was told that you needed 56/60 for a grade 9. To me this does not seem at all in keeping with the usual grade boundaries for this paper. They are usually around 45 for a 9. I wondered if they raised the boundaries as we are a separates class doing a combined paper, or if the teacher simply got confused. Does this grade boundary seem sensible, and what should I do if I want to try to ask a teacher about it? Thanks!

This may be your teacher's way of getting you to improve. Some teachers make their own grade boundaries that are way higher than usual to motivate students to do better. Also to avoid disappointment if you don't get the certain grade you achieved.

Quick Reply

Latest