The Student Room Group

Academic reference?

When I have asked a few distance learning organisations that I am thinking of doing GCSEs with (I am a mature student), regarding whether they would provide a UCAS reference, they say they would provide an academic reference. One of these organisations replied that they would provide an academic reference but not a UCAS reference because they don’t know me personally. I’m not sure what the difference is? Do you think an academic reference would be fine to be submitted as the UCAS reference? I would be in regular contact with the distance learning tutor or tutors for my work.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by moon4
When I have asked a few distance learning organisations that I am thinking of doing GCSEs with (I am a mature student), regarding whether they would provide a UCAS reference, they say they would provide an academic reference. One of these organisations replied that they would provide an academic reference but not a UCAS reference because they don’t know me personally. I’m not sure what the difference is? Do you think an academic reference would be fine to be submitted as the UCAS reference? I would be in regular contact with the distance learning tutor or tutors for my work.

You'll need a reference from your A level teachers/tutors.
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
You'll need a reference from your A level teachers/tutors.

No, I’ve been in contact with at least one university and they would accept a reference from a tutor for a level 2 qualification (which GCSEs are).
Original post by moon4
No, I’ve been in contact with at least one university and they would accept a reference from a tutor for a level 2 qualification (which GCSEs are).

They can't give predicted A level grades which is what you'll need.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
They can't give predicted A level grades which is what you'll need.

They said they can give predicted grades for the GCSEs. I am a bit confused because I’m not asking about A Levels at all. The university has said they would accept level 2 (gcse) for a reference.
Reply 5
Original post by moon4
They said they can give predicted grades for the GCSEs. I am a bit confused because I’m not asking about A Levels at all. The university has said they would accept level 2 (gcse) for a reference.

Do you have Level 3 qualifications already?
Reply 6
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you have Level 3 qualifications already?

I am getting a level 3 qualification but my question in regards to the reference is for the level 2 GCSEs
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by moon4
I am getting a level 3 qualification but my question in regards to the reference is for the level 2 GCSEs

Your university reference is to do with your level 3 and planned course at university. Your level 2 only needs to be mentioned in your pending qualifications, and possibly by the person writing your overall reference. you only have one referee and one reference.

Do you have a tutor or teacher regarding your level 3 qualification? That's the person who should be your referee.
Reply 8
Your university reference is to do with your level 3 and planned course at university. Your level 2 only needs to be mentioned in your pending qualifications, and possibly by the person writing your overall reference. you only have one referee and one reference.

Do you have a tutor or teacher regarding your level 3 qualification? That's the person who should be your referee.

The university is fine with the reference being from a level 2 tutor.

Back to my original question....
Reply 9
Original post by moon4
The university is fine with the reference being from a level 2 tutor.

Back to my original question....

The university doesn't particularly care who your UCAS reference is from. But the fact is your referee (whoever they are) will be expected to provide your Level 3 predicted grades. If that's your GCSE tutor then so be it.

You don't provide the reference to UCAS, your refereee does it themselves. Online.

Let's wind this back a little. Are you applying to a UK university via UCAS? If so, you need a UCAS referee/reference. The reference mentions (amongst other things) any qualifications you have achieved and are about to achieve. So GCSEs already taken, GCSEs to be taken, and Level 3 qualifications.

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/references/how-write-ucas-undergraduate-references

You will have one UCAS application to up to 5 universities. One reference.
Reply 10
The university doesn't particularly care who your UCAS reference is from. But the fact is your referee (whoever they are) will be expected to provide your Level 3 predicted grades. If that's your GCSE tutor then so be it.

You don't provide the reference to UCAS, your refereee does it themselves. Online.

Let's wind this back a little. Are you applying to a UK university via UCAS? If so, you need a UCAS referee/reference. The reference mentions (amongst other things) any qualifications you have achieved and are about to achieve. So GCSEs already taken, GCSEs to be taken, and Level 3 qualifications.

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/references/how-write-ucas-undergraduate-references

You will have one UCAS application to up to 5 universities. One reference.

My question is really regarding what possible differences there are between an academic reference which the distance learning tutor would provide and could be provided as the UCAS reference, and a regular, so to speak, UCAS reference?
Reply 11
I had an old GCSE teacher do mine, but I already had A Levels when I applied to university. The difference is, I guess, their level of comfort. I'm not sure what goes into a UCAS reference but I assume it to be a character ref as well as just a 'yes they can do the work' sort of reference. The difference would be that in order to attest to your character as well as your academic potential, they'd need to know you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by gjd800
I had an old GCSE teacher do mine, but I already had A Levels when I applied to university. The difference is, I guess, their level of comfort. I'm not sure what goes into a UCAS reference but I assume it to be a character ref as well as just a 'yes they can do the work' sort of reference. The difference would be that in order to attest to your character as well as your academic potential, they'd need to know you.

The provider of GCSEs told me they can not provide a character reference, only an academic reference which would have predicted grades and other info. Would this be sufficient for it to be sent as the UCAS refeence?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by moon4
The provider of GCSEs told me they can not provide a character reference, only an academic reference which would have predicted grades and other info. Would this be sufficient for it to be sent as the UCAS refeence?

A UCAS reference is academic, not a character reference. I already provided a link for you on what is expected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending