The Student Room Group
Original post by kazz_101
I am in year 11 and I want to do dentistry and I am doing foundation maths and all I can get is up to a 5 ( equivalent to a c+/b- tp the old spec) and the only maths subject I can do in A level is core maths so does anyone know if dentistry schools would accept that for dentistry????

Why not check each one's entry requirements and selection processes?
I am in year 11 and I want to do dentistry and I am doing foundation maths and all I can get is up to a 5 ( equivalent to a c+/b- tp the old spec) and the only maths subject I can do in A level is core maths so does anyone know if dentistry schools would accept that for dentistry????

Why don’t you do a different a level to maths then? Presumably you are on foundation maths because it’s not a strong subject for you. You will need to get AAA in your A levels so you need to choose biology, chemistry and the A level you are most likely to get that crucial A in. Also worth checking the GCSE requirements for each uni as some will require certain grades for certain subjects and I’m sure some want an A in maths GCSE.
core maths is pointless, honestly, some unis dont even recognise it, i did it and it was so rubbish, nearly everyone ended up dropping it. it isnt worth working 2 yrs for an AS and also it distracts you from priorities like your actual A2 subjects.

in my opnion, if you wanna do maths just do alevel maths, core maths is useless
Reply 4
thanks for the advice :smile: i was thinking the same id rather have a full A2 than an AS
Original post by soIiIoquy
core maths is pointless, honestly, some unis dont even recognise it, i did it and it was so rubbish, nearly everyone ended up dropping it. it isnt worth working 2 yrs for an AS and also it distracts you from priorities like your actual A2 subjects.

in my opnion, if you wanna do maths just do alevel maths, core maths is useless
Reply 5
but doesn't most dentistry schools need maths? the thing is I'm good at science English and the rest of the subjects it's just maths I'm so bad at it. thanks for the feedback :smile:
Original post by Amberooney
Why don’t you do a different a level to maths then? Presumably you are on foundation maths because it’s not a strong subject for you. You will need to get AAA in your A levels so you need to choose biology, chemistry and the A level you are most likely to get that crucial A in. Also worth checking the GCSE requirements for each uni as some will require certain grades for certain subjects and I’m sure some want an A in maths GCSE.
but doesn't most dentistry schools need maths? the thing is I'm good at science English and the rest of the subjects it's just maths I'm so bad at it. thanks for the feedback :smile:

Maths is not needed at A level but a C or equivalent in maths gcse will be the minimum they expect. You will need biology and chemistry a level plus one other subject. I also wouldn’t recommend a level physics if you are bad at maths even if you like science.

Like I said, some dental schools will request certain grades in your GCSEs including an A in GCSE maths. Look at what the requirements are for the different universities and see if your grades are high enough. It might be worth you trying to resit maths to get a higher grade in year 12. There aren’t many dental schools so look as each ones entry requirements so you choose the right a levels and can prepare with work experience and anything else you will need.
(edited 5 years ago)

I’m in year 11 too with the same problem. Which subjects did you end up choosing? I’m gonna choose biology chemistry and I don’t know for my Third option. I’m kinda good at art
Reply 8
Original post by Fatima_219
I’m in year 11 too with the same problem. Which subjects did you end up choosing? I’m gonna choose biology chemistry and I don’t know for my Third option. I’m kinda good at art

DON'T PICK MATHS IF YOU'RE NOT GOOD AT IT! Can't stress that enough I know too many people that wanted to do medicine/dentistry but then their maths grade wasn't high enough and instead if they had picked a subject that they had enjoyed and were good at they would be currently waiting for interviews.
Thankyou so much for this advice!

Latest