The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Biomedical Science - University of Plymouth

Hi everyone!

I am about to start my third year of Biomedical Science at Plymouth university, so if you have any questions about the course, or even life at plym uni in general, please feel free to ask them on the thread below!
I am also a course rep and mature student so will offer as much advise and experience as i can :smile:

Jem x
Original post by craftyjem
Hi everyone!

I am about to start my third year of Biomedical Science at Plymouth university, so if you have any questions about the course, or even life at plym uni in general, please feel free to ask them on the thread below!
I am also a course rep and mature student so will offer as much advise and experience as i can :smile:

Jem x

Hi do you know anything about tge rransfer to the medicine after first year of biomed. Also is the first year of biomed difficult?
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Hi everyone!

Jem x

Hey! I did biomed and also did masters in Plymouth, so I am happy to answer questions and help out too :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by pploveash
Hi do you know anything about tge rransfer to the medicine after first year of biomed. Also is the first year of biomed difficult?

Hi at the end of the first year there are ring placed places for a few students (top 5 or 10 I think) to transfer on to medicine but you have to have done A levels so access course students aren't eligible if thats you or anyone else reading I'm afraid. Basically of you do really well in your first year you can be offered an interview and may have the chance to transfer. If you would like the exact criteria etc I can find out for you but they do tell you about it at introduction week.
First year is pretty easy in some respects as a lot of it is going over A level biology type material so if you took that or a science access a lot will be familiar with some extras thrown in. However if you didn't then obviously it will be harder. Basically the first year is designed to bring everyone to the same level and also introduce uni way of working which is more independent than many are used to.

Hope this helps xxx
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi everyone!

What if there is a scenario of getting real good marks in the first year of Biomedical Science but did not do well in GCE A LEVEL, will there be chances to discuss with the university for a transfer into Medicine school?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Btw, anyone has any recommended textbooks or materials for first year Biomedical Science student- University of Plymouth?

Will be starting the course in September!
Original post by carmel!
Hi everyone!

What if there is a scenario of getting real good marks in the first year of Biomedical Science but did not do well in GCE A LEVEL, will there be chances to discuss with the university for a transfer into Medicine school?

Hi @carmel!

There are certain criteria you would have to meet - here is the information from our website :smile:

Progression options
This course has up to ten ring-fenced places available at the end of year 1 for progression onto medicine and dentistry. Applicants must meet the following requirements for consideration:

Minimum of AAB at A Level to include A grades in Biology and one other science from Chemistry, Maths, Physics, or Psychology. General Studies will not be accepted.
>70% average across all Year 1 modules
Satisfactory DBS check and Occupational Health screening

We also have an additional route for our Biomedical Science graduates. This involves an enhanced admissions process, as follows:

On track to gain 1st Class (>70%) OR already holds a 1st Class Biomedical Science degree with us achieved in the two years prior to applying
GAMSAT requirement waived
Satisfactory performance in Interview
Satisfactory DBS check and Occupational Health screening

There are also 10 ring-fenced places for our graduates onto the Physician Associate programme.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
Original post by carmel!
Btw, anyone has any recommended textbooks or materials for first year Biomedical Science student- University of Plymouth?

Hi @carmel!,

You will receive your reading list upon enrolment, and you'll also have access to free e-textbooks! However, maybe @craftyjem has some additional information which could help you? :smile:

Reply 8
Hi!

Honestly you dont need to buy anything! You get given some downloadable text books in first year and everything else is available in the library. You will also find as you progress that really you wont need much information from text books at all, a lot of our learning is cutting edge in science and you will be looking more and more at up to date research papers instead (dont worry its not as scary as it sounds and you get better and better at it as you progress!)
I bought a couple of subjects that interest me but in all honesty I have maybe used one of them, once!

Hope this helps xx

(sorry for late reply too, dissertation time of year eep!!)
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi @carmel!,

You will receive your reading list upon enrolment, and you'll also have access to free e-textbooks! However, maybe @craftyjem has some additional information which could help you? :smile:

Original post by carmel!

Reply 9
Hi! thanks so much for the inputs! Ya..it has always been quite a scary and nervous thing for first year student because just cannot expect what will happen. Anyway, Thanks a lot!
and ya, u r currently studying or have graduated??

Hi!

Honestly you dont need to buy anything! You get given some downloadable text books in first year and everything else is available in the library. You will also find as you progress that really you wont need much information from text books at all, a lot of our learning is cutting edge in science and you will be looking more and more at up to date research papers instead (dont worry its not as scary as it sounds and you get better and better at it as you progress!)
I bought a couple of subjects that interest me but in all honesty I have maybe used one of them, once!

Hope this helps xx

(sorry for late reply too, dissertation time of year eep!!)
Hey guys,

I know this is going to sound weird but I need your help. I am second year and I am transferring to another Uni. I have already booked accommodation at Plymouth. It's at Discovery Heights, with a really nice view , and close location about 3 mins from main building. I won't ask you to pay the full price for it. I just need someone to cover 70% of the cost and fill in my space as I am finding it hard to find someone to take my space. So if you haven't already made an application/ been offered an accommodation, please pm me.
Reply 11
Hi. What are the exam formats like for first year? Is it doing MCQs, short answer questions or writing essays? And if it's essays, do they expect you to add in some references from papers as a first year, or not so much, compared to second and third years?
Hi,

Ive got the same question as Kk098, and also would like some advice from someone whos been through a 1st year transfer to med from biomed in plymouth, if there is anyone out there on tsr!
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending