The Student Room Group

Why feminism isn't about equality.

As much as feminists like to argue that feminism is about equality, in practice and core values, it isn't. Here's why:

Every group who wants equality believes that everyone should have equal rights. Feminists believe this too, but the problem is that they believe that women don't already have equal rights.
Every group in the UK already has equal rights. They are treated the same by the legal system and they have the same opportunities in the education system. The law states that women already have equal rights.
Yet feminists believe that the law should change to favour them, giving them more opportunities over men and that every person should give priority to minorities, even though they go through the same education system and are treated the same by the law.
This core value of feminism destroys the idea that it stands for equal rights, because it fails to recognise the equality that already exists and as a result, it believes that the law should be changed to favour those who are not the 'cis white male' group.

Also because anyone who opposes feminism is belittled and called a Nazi, which is quite a horrible thing to call anyone.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what laws do we want changed mate?
Reply 2
I don't really like how feminism excludes issues men have despite being for ''equality''. They complain about things that don't exist like a ''wage gap'' which is actually an earnings gap (how much is earnt per year). There are laws that give them equal rights and they're mad that women get paid less than men per year because men work more hours??? They also want more women in the STEM field but imo its about who's qualified not who's male or female. I don't understand why feminism exists in the west. They should go to Africa or Asia where it's actually needed.
This ignores the comments made by Trump and the fact that he thought Melania should be a SAHM instead of working because that's what women do.

Feminism exists in the west because there is sexual inequality in the west. The slut/stud debate is a prime example. How many negative words are there for male promiscuity that aren't gendered (i.e. man-slut is just slut with a male prefix)? Now what about women?

How many times have you felt unsafe walking alone at night? If you asked a woman that, what would they say?

Why is there still a stigma around coming out as a rape survivor? Yes, this applies to men too, but it takes some women years to reveal what happened - think about Harvey Weinstein.

Sexism might not be so greatly instituionalised, and it might not be as bad as Africa, but why try to solve any problems if we can just point to a third world country and say "Well, at least we're better than that."?
Give me 3 ways institutionalised sexism works against women.
Original post by Just my opinion
Give me 3 ways institutionalised sexism works against women.

So go ahead and ignore everything I just said. I'll still find them, though, because it isn't hard.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/mar/26/metropolitan-police-sexism-rape

https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-19/edition-2/institutional-sexism-academia

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/12/sexism/509213/
There is nothing like a rant of sweeping statements and generalisations.

Women do not have an equal stake in our society. It is plain for all to see. Feminism is about the pursuit of equality. Look it up in a dictionary.

However that is not to say that some women take it to extreme levels or that inequality in society lies on the male side of the line. But to slam all feminists in one post is just short sighted and ignorant.
Reply 7
feminism exists for a lot of reasons and a lot has nothing to do with 'changing laws'. laws can't protect women from everyday sexism, notably the examples listed by Esralled above. laws do not stop men from harassing, discriminating or assaulting women, which is quiet obviously the focus of the feminist movement right now. look at the #metoo movement. the most visible feminist act in recent years -- it's international -- yet non-feminists want to tell us feminism is about something else so they can say we're acting irrationally. imho it's not irrational to want violence and harassment to stop. and this starts with attitudes, not laws.
Original post by esralled
This ignores the comments made by Trump and the fact that he thought Melania should be a SAHM instead of working because that's what women do.

Feminism exists in the west because there is sexual inequality in the west. The slut/stud debate is a prime example. How many negative words are there for male promiscuity that aren't gendered (i.e. man-slut is just slut with a male prefix)? Now what about women?

This standup comedian who I forgot the name of provides a pretty clear explanation for why that is. In relationships, men, on average, have to do everything in the early stages, from asking girls out to paying for dates etc. etc. This dates back to 'chivalry'. So, if you're a guy who successful in relationships, you're a stud since you're playing the game on hard mode, whereas if you're a girl, and you're going out with loads of dudes, then you're deemed a 'slut' because it's easy for you (on average).

How many times have you felt unsafe walking alone at night? If you asked a woman that, what would they say?

Women are weaker than men. I'm pretty sure skinny or skrawny men feel as unsafe. Moreover, statistically, women have less to fear anyway. Men or more likely to get murdered, stabbed, assaulted, battered, beaten up, mugged, you name it, aside from raped, but even then it's close.

Why is there still a stigma around coming out as a rape survivor? Yes, this applies to men too, but it takes some women years to reveal what happened - think about Harvey Weinstein.

Loads of factors. You can't just screech 'SEXUAL INEQUALITY' and go home as if that explains all disparity. No, for example, off the top of my head, I can think of numerous reasons why there is a reluctance to come forward - notably, a lack of evidence! Rape is a closed door crime - no cameras, no witnesses, little to no evidence, and so its pointless spending money to seek legal grievance when the chances are, the perpetrator is gonna walk scot free. Another is power structures, such as with Harvey Weinstein, who was the sole maker or breaker of these women's' careers. Another would be the fact that rape is a crime that is often committed by someone you know, and people may feel exposing them would cause more problems than it would solve. And on and on and on...
Reply 9
Original post by HighOnGoofballs

Moreover, statistically, women have less to fear anyway. Men or more likely to get murdered, stabbed, assaulted, battered, beaten up, mugged, you name it, aside from raped, but even then it's close.

did you google this before you made your argument? there are FAR more rapes and sexual assaults each year than other major violent crimes, and those are only the cases we know about. and women are BY FAR the victims.
(edited 5 years ago)
The definition of feminism is equality, so can you refer to the crazies as fake feminists, because the title doesnt make sense.
The problem with gender inequality is that men suffer more than women ! The suicide rate for men is way higher than women. Men die much earlier than women too overall. This is a problem. Men are not allowed to talk about their problems or open up which is very bad
Feminism saved us women so don’t.go.there.
Can we talk about how women are legally incapable of rape? That is injustice. A 100kg female bodybuilder can rape a 50kg man and it won't be legally classed as rape.
Reply 14
Original post by Tankinator
Can we talk about how women are legally incapable of rape? That is injustice. A 100kg female bodybuilder can rape a 50kg man and it won't be legally classed as rape.

that's a separate issue tho and there's already a new thread if you're interested.

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5436130
Original post by Joleee
did you google this before you made your argument? there are FAR more rapes and sexual assaults each year than other major violent crimes, and those are only the cases we know about. and women are BY FAR the victims.

That's completely horse sh*t.

The latest police figures for the 12 months to September from 44 forces show:

68,968 robbery offences, up*29%138,045 sex offences, up*23%37,443 knife crime offences, up*21%1,291,405 violent crime offences, up*20%

And considered men greatly outnumber women on the victim status for all crimes aside from sex offences, I am right. And moreover, like I said, if you include prison stats, men are MORE likely to get raped.
Original post by Etcetcetc
As much as feminists like to argue that feminism is about equality, in practice and core values, it isn't. Here's why:

Every group who wants equality believes that everyone should have equal rights. Feminists believe this too, but the problem is that they believe that women don't already have equal rights.
Every group in the UK already has equal rights. They are treated the same by the legal system and they have the same opportunities in the education system. The law states that women already have equal rights.
Yet feminists believe that the law should change to favour them, giving them more opportunities over men and that every person should give priority to minorities, even though they go through the same education system and are treated the same by the law.
This core value of feminism destroys the idea that it stands for equal rights, because it fails to recognise the equality that already exists and as a result, it believes that the law should be changed to favour those who are not the 'cis white male' group.

Also because anyone who opposes feminism is belittled and called a Nazi, which is quite a horrible thing to call anyone.

You know why you believe that feminism is pointless, it's because you live in a privileged society and a developed country. In Africa women and girls aren't given equal rights to an access to education but you obviously don't know this because you only thought about the society around you whereas feminists such as Emma Watson and Malala are seeking to make a change in societies where in which women's education is looked down upon.

I believe that girl's and women deserve an equal right to education as men, as a feminist I also believe that men haven't been treated right as they have been made to oppress their feelings and appear masculine. People's general perception of feminists is that we are men haters when this is not the truth, we stand up for the equality of both women AND men and we try to make education access to all some of you may not believe in the need of feminism as you live in developed and open-minded societies/countries, you have to think outside of your living space and what you can see in order to experience the inequality happening in the less privileged and developed places in the world.

Not only would the educating of women and girls create equality but it will also aid the finance in some countries because how is a country to thrive if only half it's population has received a proper education? I know that some of you may think that feminists only want to degrade men and I will not deny that there are a rare amount of women who do however this is not one of the values of a true feminist and believing that all feminists hate men because you have met a man-hating feminist means that you have surrendered your soul to the danger of a single story, you cannot simply say that because you have met a Mexican immigrant all of the Mexicans that you will meet in the future will be immigrants as well, one cannot also simply assume that because a person comes from Africa it means that they are poor.

I believe in the equality of men and women and if you don't agree then that is your choice as you are entitled to your own opinion but I plead to you that you stay open-minded and keep in mind that not every feminist is a man hater and that not every every woman is treated equally to a man just because you live in a developed society. The world does not evolve around the borders of where you live so think about what you say before you accuse feminists of the 21st century for complaining about women's equality.

What's this got to do with feminism?

Muggers should target as many men as they do women?
Original post by johnny.snow
What's this got to do with feminism?

Muggers should target as many men as they do women?

Yes that is true to an extent however I believe that a mugger would rather target a woman as they believe women to be weaker making them an easier target.
Original post by London090
Yes that is true to an extent however I believe that a mugger would rather target a woman as they believe women to be weaker making them an easier target.

But that's nothing to do with inequality.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending