The Student Room Group

Is £50 a month enough excess?

I'm on the minimum SAAS loan (Scottish thing) and I won't be getting any money from home. I also can't go back home over the holidays, so I've factored in 3 months of average rent in Glasgow.

The minimum SAAS loan (the one I'm getting) is £4750. I also plan to work 20 hours a week in a minimum wage job (a regime I have experience of and can comfortably manage alongside studying) for 40 of the 52 weeks, which comes to £5760. In total, this is £10510.

If I can trust my calculator, I have £50 a month left over after accounting for:

Accommodation (£4665 for 9 months)
3 months rent (average rent in Glasgow - £750 per month)
Food (£40 a week budget over 52 weeks)
Books (£150 - I will be an economical law student)
Dentist (£22 a month - I really want nice teeth)
Mobile phone contract (£30 a month)
Haircuts (£10 every 6 weeks - though I might push it to every 4)

Hopefully, that comes to a bit under 10 grand. I should then have a little over £500 left, which gives me a monthly excess of about £50.

My plan is to put the remainder towards going out. Is this enough to maintain a (relatively introverted) social life? And in the purely hypothetical scenario that I was dating someone, would I be able to afford a date a week (if I gave up on the rest of my social life)?

I'm open to working more hours. There is also the remote possibility that I get an older boyfriend with his own flat who I can stay with over the summer, which pretty much removes all my financial worries. I obviously don't want to rely on that though.

If I save well during the rest of this summer, I should also have about £700-800 in savings. I'd prefer to keep this as an emergency fund though. I'm also really not keen on overdrafting unless absolutely necessary.

I would also really welcome tips on how to keep food costs down. This is my first ever proper budget, so don't be surprised if my numbers are unrealistic.

Scroll to see replies

I don’t really know if £50/month is gonna work or not. Do you normally go out for dinner or go to the cinema?
Reply 2
You can comfortably halve the food budget. You can probably find cheaper accommodation too.
Reply 3
Original post by katf
You can comfortably halve the food budget. You can probably find cheaper accommodation too.

The only cheaper student accommodation than this, if that's what you mean, is shared, which I don't REALLY mind but I'd rather avoid if I could - I just really like my privacy. The price I have is for a single room with a shared bathroom. I could probably find cheaper rent wise, but I don't want to pluck a figure from a property site now only for it to be wrong when it comes to time to look, especially as the Glaswegian summer prices are likely to be quite high.

It's good to hear that about the food budget, but I nipped round the Sainsbury's a couple days ago and I was struggling to understand how people get it as low as like £20 a week. Do you just buy like a kilo bag of rice and a few chickens and have like a 'rice week', where every meal is a variant of rice and chicken? I've never cooked for myself on a real budget before.
Reply 4
Original post by chieula2301
I don’t really know if £50/month is gonna work or not. Do you normally go out for dinner or go to the cinema?

I'd say in an average week I maybe go to a bar once and like a Nando's once. I usually have just two pints at the bar. Obviously I can't do Nando's every week at uni, so I'd probably make it a Nando's or equivalent once a month and start just having one pint at the bar.

I'm open to staying in though. I have literally no shame, so drinking in my dorm is totally something I'm up for if it's all I can afford.
Original post by Rmcewan15
The only cheaper student accommodation than this, if that's what you mean, is shared, which I don't REALLY mind but I'd rather avoid if I could - I just really like my privacy. The price I have is for a single room with a shared bathroom. I could probably find cheaper rent wise, but I don't want to pluck a figure from a property site now only for it to be wrong when it comes to time to look, especially as the Glaswegian summer prices are likely to be quite high.

It's good to hear that about the food budget, but I nipped round the Sainsbury's a couple days ago and I was struggling to understand how people get it as low as like £20 a week. Do you just buy like a kilo bag of rice and a few chickens and have like a 'rice week', where every meal is a variant of rice and chicken? I've never cooked for myself on a real budget before.

You can't shop at Sainsbury's on that budget, you go for Asda/Tesco or Aldi and Lidl if you re lucky and have one nearby. Try and brush up on some cooking skills before you go it ll make a big difference.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
You can't shop at Sainsbury's on that budget, you go for Asda/Tesco or Aldi and Lidl if you re lucky and have one nearby. Try and brush up on some cooking skills before you go it ll make a big difference.

One of my friends is German but lives in Falkirk, and he has introduced me to our beautiful German budget stores. I will definitely use them if they're nearby. I'm not such a big fan of Tesco, but there's an Asda a short bus ride from where I live so I might head there and compare prices.

The cooking thing is definitely something I want to get my head around. I can do basic things like burgers, and pasta and things like that, but I'm probably gonna buy one of the student cookbooks so I have a good repertoire before I go.
I'd say in an average week I maybe go to a bar once and like a Nando's once. I usually have just two pints at the bar. Obviously I can't do Nando's every week at uni, so I'd probably make it a Nando's or equivalent once a month and start just having one pint at the bar.

I'm open to staying in though. I have literally no shame, so drinking in my dorm is totally something I'm up for if it's all I can afford.

You should get Unidays and use student discounts for restaurants, it can be up to 40% off for Ask Italian which is quite good. About £6 for a good spaghetti to eat inside. Anyway, back to the point, £50 is tight but you can make it to the restaurant/cinema few times a month.

And no you can’t shop at a Sainsbury’s and hope that it’s gonna be cheap. Strongly recommend Asda/Lidl, plus there will be many reduced price products, take advantage of that. Also the freezer is your friend, you can buy a pack of top rum beef, cut it off, divide it and put it in the freezer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8

Oh I've shopped on less. At Sainsbury's too. Once managed to get the food bill down to £10 a week. I'm vegetarian, so I don't ever buy meat. I bought a load of lentils, world food section is cheap, rice, tomatoes, stock, was on powdered milk and basics porridge oats. Got the cheapest frozen veg I could find too. And potatoes and beans. Cheap noodles and a few basic herbs. It wasn't exciting, but it was doable and relatively healthy. I spent £40 a month on food.
Reply 9
Original post by katf

I'm not in university, but £20 a week food budget sounds like a poverty diet imo

I typically spend around £50 a week on food if working part time

£90 a week if working full time

and no, i'm not a fat bastard.
One of my friends is German but lives in Falkirk, and he has introduced me to our beautiful German budget stores. I will definitely use them if they're nearby. I'm not such a big fan of Tesco, but there's an Asda a short bus ride from where I live so I might head there and compare prices.

The cooking thing is definitely something I want to get my head around. I can do basic things like burgers, and pasta and things like that, but I'm probably gonna buy one of the student cookbooks so I have a good repertoire before I go.

You don't need to go to a store to look at prices just go on their online grocery site , the prices are the same. Pasta is a good start there's a lot you can do with that but yes there's a lot of student cookbooks on the market that will help :smile:
Original post by katf
Oh I've shopped on less. At Sainsbury's too. Once managed to get the food bill down to £10 a week. I'm vegetarian, so I don't ever buy meat. I bought a load of lentils, world food section is cheap, rice, tomatoes, stock, was on powdered milk and basics porridge oats. Got the cheapest frozen veg I could find too. And potatoes and beans. Cheap noodles and a few basic herbs. It wasn't exciting, but it was doable and relatively healthy. I spent £40 a month on food.

Herbs can make a world of difference if you re on a budget to make food more cheerful.
Original post by ANM775
I'm not in university, but £20 a week food budget sounds like a poverty diet imo

The two of us eat on £200 a month and we have meat most days :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by ANM775

I've lived in actual poverty. £232 a month to live on after rent. Had to pay bills out of that. And for my dog. £20 a week was luxury. £10 a week was just about my limit. It was pretty tough. I was never hungry though. I lived off soup, risotto, porridge, other super cheap meals. It was relatively healthy too. Not a lot of fresh fruit and veg, but healthy enough.
Reply 14
The two of us eat on £200 a month and we have meat most days :tongue:

couldn't live on that personally. :smile:
If i'm actively going to the gym I will typically spend £25+ a week purely on chicken...

back when I was living with parents they'd spend around £120 a week on food and this was for 5 people.

I always would end up going out and buying a lot of my own food to top up on this.

yet somehow they were fat ...and I wasn't
Reply 15
Original post by chieula2301
You should get Unidays and use student discounts for restaurants, it can be up to 40% off for Ask Italian which is quite good. About £6 for a good spaghetti to eat inside. Anyway, back to the point, £50 is tight but you can make it to the restaurant/cinema few times a month.

And no you can’t shop at a Sainsbury’s and hope that it’s gonna be cheap. Strongly recommend Asda/Lidl, plus there will be many reduced price products, take advantage of that. Also the freezer is your friend, you can buy a pack of top rum beef, cut it off, divide it and put it in the freezer.

Oh my god I love Ask Italian, their pistachio and olive oil cake gives me life. I've seen ads for that UniDays thing on insta so I'll look into it.

And yeah, one of the major things I need to learn is how to conserve food for the longest time possible. I'll take some notes and look all these things up.
Original post by ANM775
couldn't live on that personally. :smile:
If i'm actively going to the gym I will typically spend £25+ a week purely on chicken...

back when I was living with parents they'd spend around £120 a week on food and this was for 5 people.

I always would end up going out and buying a lot of my own food to top up on this.

yet somehow they were fat ...and I wasn't

That's a lot of money on chicken.
Reply 17
Original post by katf
I've lived in actual poverty. £232 a month to live on after rent. Had to pay bills out of that. And for my dog. £20 a week was luxury. £10 a week was just about my limit. It was pretty tough. I was never hungry though. I lived off soup, risotto, porridge, other super cheap meals. It was relatively healthy too. Not a lot of fresh fruit and veg, but healthy enough.

right now i'm averaging £15-£20 a week purely on fruit

I do like my food :smile:
Reply 18
You don't need to go to a store to look at prices just go on their online grocery site , the prices are the same. Pasta is a good start there's a lot you can do with that but yes there's a lot of student cookbooks on the market that will help :smile:

Good point lol, I'll do that now. I really like Italian food so I'll probably focus on the pasta, but I'll get the cookbook and learn some other recipes too. And yeah, herbs are fab, though I haven't ever really gone beyond basil and thyme and that. I find olive oil and vinegar go a long way too, as do S and P.
Reply 19
That's a lot of money on chicken.

lol,

I know....my family was always taking the piss out of how much chicken I ate

It became a running joke, still to this day ...even though I haven't lived with them for a while now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending