The Student Room Group

Academic plan

I have a plan for how to achieve what i want and i thought I'd run it by the people on here. If i get A*AA in biology, psychology and history at A level I'll apply for hopefully a prestigious university and take a degree in biology. I will specialize in neuroscience at masters level. Once this is all said and done (if this is available to me past bachelor's level, if not then I'll go straight to medicine) I will apply for post graduate medicine, after amassing a notable level of work experience of course. I plan on using the medicine degree to become a surgeon. I am aware of the insane level of work required and am prepared to do it. Can anyone point out to me any errors? Or just pat me on the back for taking steps to get my **** together?
(edited 5 years ago)
You won't be able to do post grad medicine with those a-levels... or biology anywhere credible
Reply 2
As far as I know some of the U.K.'s top universities accept psychology in the place of chemistry. When I say prestigious I don't mean top 5, I mean more like top 20. I'm under no illusion that Oxford or Cambridge will accept me with no chemistry. I should probably have put 'relatively' before prestigious.
Reply 3
Original post by Mick Beever
I have a plan for how to achieve what i want and i thought I'd run it by the people on here. If i get A*AA in biology, psychology and history at A level I'll apply for hopefully a prestigious university and take a degree in biology. I will specialize in neuroscience at masters level. Once this is all said and done (if this is available to me past bachelor's level, if not then I'll go straight to medicine) I will apply for post graduate medicine, after amassing a notable level of work experience of course. I plan on using the medicine degree to become a surgeon. I am aware of the insane level of work required and am prepared to do it. Can anyone point out to me any errors? Or just pat me on the back for taking steps to get my **** together?

You need to do the GAMSAT to apply for graduate entry med or UKCAT/BMAT etc for undergraduate med.
For what? Maybe to study biology? But for medicine, even graduate medicine, I'm pretty certain everywhere would require you to have done a-level chemistry
Honestly, I don’t think you’ll be able to survive medicine if it’s a back up plan. To do medicine you need to be completely sure you want to do it, and be motivated and passionate about it. It is very competitive, and definitely not a back up plan
Also, wanting to be a surgeon is quite naive, since there are so many different specialities out there and since you’ve done no work experience yet universities won’t like you saying you want to be a surgeon. Most medics don’t decide on a speciality until after they’ve finished training. Don’t try and plan too far ahead, just focus on what you really want to do. Also, what you decide now may not be what you decide in a few years time
Reply 7
Original post by jenbrown1234
For what? Maybe to study biology? But for medicine, even graduate medicine, I'm pretty certain everywhere would require you to have done a-level chemistry

Trust me. Lots of places focus more on the degree you took over your A-levels. From what I've found the only places that absolutely require chemistry are some of the very top unis. And c'mon, a degree in medicine is a degree in medicine, Cambridge or no Cambridge right?
Reply 8
Original post by Avaflower100
Also, wanting to be a surgeon is quite naive, since there are so many different specialities out there and since you’ve done no work experience yet universities won’t like you saying you want to be a surgeon. Most medics don’t decide on a speciality until after they’ve finished training. Don’t try and plan too far ahead, just focus on what you really want to do. Also, what you decide now may not be what you decide in a few years time

I was speaking more in loose terms. My 'plan' is adaptable and will probably change slightly. Its something i want to use as a guide. And what i really want to do is only accessible to me via a medicine degree, unfortunately. Is aiming for surgery from early on really that bad a thing? Surgery is a broad field. Not much else in medicine other than maybe psychiatry ever appealed to me.
Reply 9
Original post by Avaflower100
Honestly, I don’t think you’ll be able to survive medicine if it’s a back up plan. To do medicine you need to be completely sure you want to do it, and be motivated and passionate about it. It is very competitive, and definitely not a back up plan

And I think you misunderstood what i was saying. I picked the wrong A-levels early on and have regretted it ever since. I knew that staying back for a year to do chemistry wouldn't be worth it because my chances would be screwed after that anyway. I've been looking for a way into medicine since the start of year 12. My back up plan is to fall back on a biology degree. I should've been clearer.

* without chemistry, I think you will also have to apply for a foundation year medical degree (i.e. you do a 'foundation year' before doing the 5 year degree)
And I think you misunderstood what i was saying. I picked the wrong A-levels early on and have regretted it ever since. I knew that staying back for a year to do chemistry wouldn't be worth it because my chances would be screwed after that anyway. I've been looking for a way into medicine since the start of year 12. My back up plan is to fall back on a biology degree. I should've been clearer.

Ah ok that makes sense then. Good luck!
I was speaking more in loose terms. My 'plan' is adaptable and will probably change slightly. Its something i want to use as a guide. And what i really want to do is only accessible to me via a medicine degree, unfortunately. Is aiming for surgery from early on really that bad a thing? Surgery is a broad field. Not much else in medicine other than maybe psychiatry ever appealed to me.

Yes surgery is a broad field but I think interviewers hear it a lot, since it’s widely known and sounds exciting to many young people. It’s fine to say you’re interested in surgery, as long as you’re open to other specialities as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending