The Student Room Group

Triple science help

Hi,
I am currently in year 9, going to start year 10 in September 2018.I have received my timetable for next year, and I found out I am not doing triple science. I would like to do triple science as I am passionate about science. I would also like to continue science at A levels and hopefully pursue a career in science .At my school the head of science picks the top 60 students to do triple out of the whole year group based on end of year exam grades. However I earned decent grades and I have not being picked to do triple science, I am not happy with this decision.

Therefore do you think it is worth me emailing the head of science during the summer holidays asking her to give me a chance at triple science for a period of time(stating the above reasons in more depth) and if I am not capable then she can move me back down a set.

I would extremely appreciate it if I received a few replies
Thank you
*** Follow up- MY EMAIL****
Dear HEAD OF SCIENCE, I am currently in year 9, commencing year 10 in September. I would like to study, triple science in year 10, however, this is not possible as I am in Set 2. I have always had a passion for science, and I would like to continue it on for A-levels and eventually pursue a career in science. I would also like, to achieve the best grades I possibly can in science and I think studying triple science for GCSEs will help me to be prepared better for A levels. I find science enjoyable, and I am prepared to work hard and extend my knowledge of science in more depth. I also am aware, of the high and advanced level of challenge the triple science course offers and I think I am capable. I would extremely appreciate it if you'd give me a chance at triple science, for a certain period of time, and I promise I will not aim to let you down. Kind Regards Anonymous
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Yea, you definitely should especially as you want a career in science. Normal double science is so boring in comparison.
Original post by 6076
Hi,
I am currently in year 9, going to start year 10 in September 2018.I have received my timetable for next year, and I found out I am not doing triple science. I would like to do triple science as I am passionate about science. I would also like to continue science at A levels and hopefully pursue a career in science .At my school the head of science picks the top 60 students to do triple out of the whole year group based on end of year exam grades. However I earned decent grades and I have not being picked to do triple science, I am not happy with this decision.

Therefore do you think it is worth me emailing the head of science during the summer holidays asking her to give me a chance at triple science for a period of time(stating the above reasons in more depth) and if I am not capable then she can move me back down a set.

Thank you

hey :smile: that sounds very selective. you should definitely email your head of science and see what she says since your requests aren't unreasonable and you seem very willing to put the work in. doing triple science is quite beneficial and if you're interested in it you'll definitely enjoy it.
Reply 3
Original post by 6076
Hi,

Thank you

Yes, you can only benefit. She either is impressed by your eagerness and lets you do triple, or doesn't agree and so you're left where you started.

If you're set on doing science and she says no, might be worth teaching yourself triple science (cgp revision guides!!) and taking the exams at an external test centre. You will have to pay to take the exams though.
Reply 4
Original post by AnxiousMoron
Yes, you can only benefit. She either is impressed by your eagerness and lets you do triple, or doesn't agree and so you're left where you started.

If you're set on doing science and she says no, might be worth teaching yourself triple science (cgp revision guides!!) and taking the exams at an external test centre. You will have to pay to take the exams though.

Thank youuu it means a lot
Reply 5
Original post by rainclouds-
hey :smile: that sounds very selective. you should definitely email your head of science and see what she says since your requests aren't unreasonable and you seem very willing to put the work in. doing triple science is quite beneficial and if you're interested in it you'll definitely enjoy it.

Thank you so much:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by sammed
yea, you definitely should especially as you want a career in science. Normal double science is so boring in comparison.

thank you a lot
I was in a similar situation to you when I was in year 10. The school wouldn’t move me up to the higher set even though I was always getting the highest grades in Key stage 3 science and I just messed up one exam. I am now taking triple science as a private candidate with the help of my teachers at school who will help provide materials and the required practicals. Try to self teach the syllabus and get ahead in topics so they can move you up. Hope this helps, good luck.
Reply 8
Original post by Agathawood133
I was in a similar situation to you when I was in year 10. The school wouldn’t move me up to the higher set even though I was always getting the highest grades in Key stage 3 science and I just messed up one exam. I am now taking triple science as a private candidate with the help of my teachers at school who will help provide materials and the required practicals. Try to self teach the syllabus and get ahead in topics so they can move you up. Hope this helps, good luck.

THank you for your response however the teachers said that you are unable to move up a set in science but only move down a set
Ok that seems a bit of a problem, however If you ask your teachers to do the same end of unit tests as the triple people and you get better scores than most people in the top set then they should at least enter you into the triple exams. I went and did this as well as asking teachers for extra work from triple and it worked. My school also haven’t moved me up as they don’t have enough spaces in top set, but they have agreed that I’ll be entered into the triple and get one to one time with the teachers after school so I can get the highest grades (8/9) . I am now even doing alevel work for all the sciences as I want to pursue a career in science.
Reply 10
Original post by agathawood133
ok that seems a bit of a problem, however if you ask your teachers to do the same end of unit tests as the triple people and you get better scores than most people in the top set then they should at least enter you into the triple exams. I went and did this as well as asking teachers for extra work from triple and it worked. My school also haven’t moved me up as they don’t have enough spaces in top set, but they have agreed that i’ll be entered into the triple and get one to one time with the teachers after school so i can get the highest grades (8/9) . I am now even doing alevel work for all the sciences as i want to pursue a career in science.

thank you so much
Hey, please do triple science if you really want to or you would regret for not choosing it! According to me, i did combined eventhough teachers persuaded me to do triple. Rn i am going to go year 11 within a month and the science department let me do triple. I am late but so lucky to have the opportunity to do triple. PLEASE DO TRIPLE SCIENCE IF YOU WANT IT AS A CAREER :smile:
Original post by 6076
thank you so much

No problem, if you need to ask any more questions feel free to pm md
I love the passion. Whenever you want something you should try and get it. Think about it - if you don't ask the teachers don't even know that you really want to do it. If you ask - they either say yes or no. If they say yes, you get what you want. If they say no - you've literally lost nothing. You are still where you are if you didn't ask anything.

I've re-written your email - but feel free to disregard it.

Dear HEAD OF SCIENCE,
I am starting Year 10 in September and I would like to study triple science. Unfortunately this is not possible as I am in Set 2. The reason I would like to do triple science is because I love the subject and I'm aiming to pursue a scientific career in the future. I believe doing triple science at this stage would better prepare me for A-levels and my future career.
I am aware of the difficult nature of triple science but I'm willing to take on that challenge. If you give me this opportunity then I can assure you that I will not let you or the department down.
Kind Regards,
Anonymous

Good luck!
Original post by 6076
Hi,

Thank you
*** Follow up- MY EMAIL****
Dear HEAD OF SCIENCE, I am currently in year 9, commencing year 10 in September. I would like to study, triple science in year 10, however, this is not possible as I am in Set 2. I have always had a passion for science, and I would like to continue it on for A-levels and eventually pursue a career in science. I would also like, to achieve the best grades I possibly can in science and I think studying triple science for GCSEs will help me to be prepared better for A levels. I find science enjoyable, and I am prepared to work hard and extend my knowledge of science in more depth. I also am aware, of the high and advanced level of challenge the triple science course offers and I think I am capable. I would extremely appreciate it if you'd give me a chance at triple science, for a certain period of time, and I promise I will not aim to let you down. Kind Regards Anonymous

100% email, having been in both double and triple classes, triple is far better, you get better teachers, better peers and a better working atmosphere. Double science will hold you back if you really want to do well in science.
Reply 15
Hey guys thank you all for your help however the teacher has not replied to my email and it has been a month what do i do now?
Original post by 6076
Hey guys thank you all for your help however the teacher has not replied to my email and it has been a month what do i do now?

Well it's a school email that they probably won't check until September / you go back to school.
Reply 17
Original post by Bill Nye
Well it's a school email that they probably won't check until September / you go back to school.

If i go to school the course for triple science will already start whereas i will be doing the double science course
Original post by 6076
If i go to school the course for triple science will already start whereas i will be doing the double science course

Why didn't you email them before school ended?

Even so, if they agree to it, it will only be for a couple of days that you aren't doing triple. You could catch up.
school is cancelled and I am in year 9 next year and I want to get into triple so what shall I do because they decide at the end of the year and I am one grade off

Quick Reply

Latest